Favorite Quotes Thread

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

-Thomas Paine

"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"

-Thomas Paine

"I know not with which weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV, will be fought with sticks and stones."

-Albert Einstein

?Those who possess the potential to ease human suffering, and stand idly by as others endure unnecessary pain, are the least human of us all.?

-Me

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: BR ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    "640K of RAM ought to be enough for anybody."

--Bill Gates, 1981

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

--Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

--Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
  • Reply 2 of 52
    see below

:

:

:

:

-------------

- -

- -

- -

=
  • Reply 3 of 52
    that was supposto be a downward arrow.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    "The wish to aquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and, when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned." - Machiavelli

"It is wrong to deprive someone else of a pleasure so that you can enjoy it your self, but to deprive your self of a pleasure so that you can add to someone else's enjoyment is an act of humanity by which you will always gain more." - Utopia, Sr. Thomas More

"Success is a menance, it fools smart people into thinking they can't loose." -- Bill Gates, Pirates of Sil.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    "What the hell?"

-Crow T. Robot

"They [Microsoft] just make really third rate products."

-Steve Jobs

(Refering to the above) "And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way."

-Steve Jobs
  • Reply 6 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    "Icing 'appen when da puck come down and bang you know before da udder guy and my arm go up and it stop and start up." - Denis Lemieux, Slapshot
  • Reply 7 of 52
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Heres a funny one:

"Can you replace Pat(spanish teacher) forever??-me, ?The last class asked that too. . ."-anonymus spanish sub

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: xionja ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 52
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    "Alcohol is like love," he said. "The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off." Raymond Chandler

"This is not a good town for psychedelic drugs." Hunter S Thompson

To have ambitions is my ambition....The Gang of Four

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Reply 9 of 52
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    "What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite." - Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays, 1928.

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
  • Reply 10 of 52
    "Fück You" - Mikey Offender
  • Reply 11 of 52
    "all edward plotka wanted for christmas was four feet of elephant rectum"...actual quote from discover magazine-1990

g
  • Reply 12 of 52
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown in their footsteps."

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Oh, you meant from real people?

:cool:

Jeff
  • Reply 13 of 52
    "So god pulled two trees from the ground, one of lithe, live green wood and one of hard, near-dry wood, and she struck Eif'h across the loins; and across the breasts; and across the face. And she beat Eif'h with the trunks of thoses two trees. And Eif'h screamed and cowered and clutched at herself and called for mercy; but god beat her bloody about the face and breasts and loins. And where god beat her on the face, coarse hairs sprouted; and where god beat her on the throat, her voice roughened and went deep; and where god beat her about the breast, the very flesh and organs were torn away so that she could no longer suckle her daughters; and where god beat her about the groin, her womb was broken and collapsed on itself, and rags of flesh fell, dangling, from her loins, so that when they healed, her womb was forever sealed and useless, and the rags of flesh hanging between he legs were forever sore and sensitive, so that Eif'h was forever touching and ministering to them, where upon they would leak their infectious pus.

"The god said: 'Eif'h, I have beaten you until you are no longer a woman. For you can no longer bear, nor any longer suckle. You have praised neither me nor the act well.' And so Eif'h bowed her hairy face and covered her poor, ropey genital, and was called no longer woman, but 'man, which means broken woman. And she was called no longer she, but he, as a mark of her pretention, ignorance, and shame.

Samuel Delany--Tales of Neveryon

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 52
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I'm Back!!
  • Reply 15 of 52
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    /\\

. !

. !

excellent (reffering to Gelding's post above)

"Christ rode on an ass, but now asses ride on Christ."

------(Heinrich Heine)

"As a great man once said . . .I also have to pee, but for quite different reasons"

--LANDOLFI

"The purpose of art is to make life more important than art"

--Robert Filiou ?the eternal network?

"Eat the instant you are hungry and you will never find out what your hunger is for"

---Buddhist saying

"The meaning of a poem can only be another poem."

\tHarold Bloom, The Anxiety of Influence

Sanity is perhaps the ability to punctuate.

PARRY IDRIS

Rabbi Nahum of Stepinesht once said this of his brother, Rabbi David Moshe of Tchortkov:

"When my brother David Moshe opens the Book of Psalms and begins to recite the praises, God calls down to him: 'David Moshe my son, I am putting the whole world into your hands. Now do with it as you like.' Oh if He only gave me the world, I should know very well what to do with it! But David Moshe is so faithful a servant that when he gives the world back it is exactly as it was when he recieved it."

"a picture held us captive. And we could not get outside it, for it lay in our language and language seemed to repeat it to us inexorably."

\t\t\t-- Wittgenstein Philosophical Invastigations

" . . . a fluid succession of presents, the developement of an entity of which our present is a phase only . . . a portrait is not an identificative paper but rather the curve of an emotion."

\t\t---James Joyce, Portrait...

"Posterity is a form of the spectator."

\t\t\t\t\t--Duchamp,

"Art is not the reflection of reality, it is the reality of that reflection."

\t\t---Jean-Luc Godard

"We have filled our hearts with fantasy

and our hearts grow brutal on the fare."

\t\t\t\t\t\t--W. B. Yeats

"Fiction is not there because language is distant from things; but language is thier distance, the light in which they are to be found and their innaccessability."

\t-M. Foucault, Distance, Aspect, Origine

and my current favorite:

"Those who maintain a vacuum, are more influenced by imagination than reason."

\t--Leibniz: The Leibniz-Clarke Correspondence

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 52
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein
  • Reply 17 of 52
    There is no spoon.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    I like these two.

[quote]Originally posted by shetline:

<strong>

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts</strong><hr></blockquote>

And also this:

He has showed you, O man, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?

To act justly, love mercy

and walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: spaceman_spiff ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 52
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff." - Mariah Carey

WINNER!
  • Reply 20 of 52
    ibubibub Posts: 45member
    "there is not one shred of evidence that exists in favor that life is serious" (not sure who by)

"be patient with all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms or books that are written in a foreign tongue. the point is to live everything. live the questions now. perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live your way some distant day into the answers." - Rainer Maria Rilke