Apple's next Mac Pro rumored to be mountable with a custom CPU

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    WTF, is Steve in the Matrix?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    That's great, but unless Apple updates it's 27" Cinema Display, the Thunderbolt standard isn't going to do anyone much good. Thunderbolt might be compatible with the display's MDP input, but you'll still need to plug in the USB, as MDP doesn't support data transfer. Unfortunately, displays are one area where Cupertino's innovation has traditionally been a bit remiss.

I would also expect them to update the iPod/iPad/IPhone lines with TB sooner rather than later if they're serious about it going forward. The problem is that iPod's mass-appeal has been a child of USB and it's near-ubiquity. Mess around with the USB port and suddenly it's incompatible with 7 years of of third party equipment. At this point, iPod could probably weather the storm, but whenever they decide to make the changeover, they'll undoubtedly need to offer a USB 2.0 adapter if they hope to sell more than a few handful.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

And I wonder why you would need THREE networks on an Airport basestation. One full network, one limited 'guest' network are what most people would need. What would be the purpose for the third? Hmmm.

Based on their existing tech, I would imagine they're continuing the dual channel option, perhaps? So the "Guest" network comes in addition to existing 2 5 Ghz and 5.Ghz bands offered in the current AirPorts.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Steve _is_ the Matrix... we are all just figments of his imagination.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Nope. Steve IS the Matrix
  • Reply 26 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    All Apple has to do is get rid of the handles and the Mac Pro will fit in standard computer racks without problem. Add a lights-out management option and sysadmins won't have all that much to complain about.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

If this were true, it would be pretty stupid of Apple to discontinue the Xserve before a rack-mountable MacPro was announced. Nothing like pissing off a bunch of existing customers who then spend a lot of time (and maybe money) working on a migration plan, possibly buying new (non-Mac) hardware if they needed to upgrade/expand their server room. And then have to win back those customers and hope they trust you enough to buy back in.

I don't think Apple is that stupid or clumsy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkgm View Post

*blink* *blink*

That's exactly what Apple did. The XServe has been discontinued since January, with no rackable replacement available. They've already started losing enterprise customers, and they need to win them back with a rackable Mac Pro. What's stupid and clumsy is that they didn't have one ready in January.

I think what Wiggin is saying is that this rumor is false. Apple would not produce a rack mount server after ceasing production of one and leaving a gap of many months.

There will be no racked server from Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    ferazelferazel Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

All Apple has to do is get rid of the handles and the Mac Pro will fit in standard computer racks without problem. Add a lights-out management option and sysadmins won't have all that much to complain about.

Oh there's plenty to complain about. How about lack of redundant power supplies, no hot-swappable drives, unnecessary heat from a GPU, 3U size for a 1U price/performance, no fiber connections. However, I'm not a sysadmin, but I can already hear the screams.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Minor variation on the same thing does not equals to true choice.

"Not so nice, not ones we'd actually want to buy, but 10!!!" Apparently the sarcasm was wasted...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nah, they're bringing back the PowerPC G5! And remember, you read it on AI first!

Sorry, that's simply not true, though there is a kernel...

My inside source is hinting that the Mac Pro's new A6 processor may support Altivec, as well as (and this has been confirmed!) a hardware 680x0 emulation layer to let it run Mac OS System 7 virtual machines more efficiently. A sophisticated hypervisor will simulate true pre-emptive multitasking by spawning off additional virtual machines as needed.

I know this all makes sense so far, but - and this part really blew me away! - apparently the Mac Pro will have a proprietary backplane of 30-pin dock connectors for its A6 iPhone5 'iBlades'. That's why they just released the unlocked phones - they were afraid that companies running the big iron wouldn't want to pay for a carrier plan for every blade in their servers. (The other implication is that we could see the OS 7 hypervisor make its way onto our phones and iPads, but that depends on it getting App Store approval since it falls afoul of the emulation restrictions.)

I know it sounds far-fetched, but that's why it has to be correct. And as always, you read it here on AI first!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

A very dependable insider tells me that the new Mac Pro tower will be shipping in a quad-A6 configuration, each CPU having its own 1GB of RAM and the latest 32-bit ARM instruction set for a total of 4GB or RAM and 8 1.2 GHz cores - and will be able to stream full-HD video to an attached monitor using its integrated GPU.

This source has never been wrong before, so you can count on it - and remember, you read it on AI first!

Do you think the New Mac Pros can boot in 10.6?

I can't work with Lion because of missing Rosetta.....

If new MacPros can't boot in SnowLeopard i have to buy an Mac Pro before new ones are coming.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graubereich View Post

Do you think the New Mac Pros can boot in 10.6?

No.

Quote:

I can't work with Lion because of missing Rosetta.....

What program are you using (that we haven't told you an alternative to yet)?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Rack mountable makes perfect sense... They design the front new chassis to be 19" tall and then flip the unit on it's side to install Rack ears. Compaq and HP have been doing this with desktop chassis style server for years and years... Rack mountable is still a valid term.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Here you say rack-mountable, then later you say "mountable."

Mountable makes sense, but rack-mountable makes almost no sense at all.

A rack mountable computer is rotated 90 degrees from a desktop tower.

The ports would be on the top or bottom of the tower (neither orientation being very handy).

Wait a minute, this wouldn't mater if the shape was Steve's favourite ... the cube is back!

• Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

A very dependable insider tells me that the new Mac Pro tower will be shipping in a quad-A6 configuration, each CPU having its own 1GB of RAM and the latest 32-bit ARM instruction set for a total of 4GB or RAM and 8 1.2 GHz cores - and will be able to stream full-HD video to an attached monitor using its integrated GPU.

This source has never been wrong before, so you can count on it - and remember, you read it on AI first!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No.

What program are you using (that we haven't told you an alternative to yet)?

A Scanner, a Barcode Generater but most important FREEHAND.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    If you believe this I have a bridge to sell you... cheap. \
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferazel View Post

Oh there's plenty to complain about. How about lack of redundant power supplies, no hot-swappable drives, unnecessary heat from a GPU, 3U size for a 1U price/performance, no fiber connections. However, I'm not a sysadmin, but I can already hear the screams.

No server hardware, no problem. Apple expects enterprise users to use the Cloud!

• Reply 38 of 48
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Rack mountable might be nice, but it 'aint a server until it has Lights Out Management.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    <OT>

"but most important FREEHAND."

Yerssss !!! - another brother out there still using the most flexible graphics/page layout program ever !

I still use mine running on a pb G4 17" - no other app quite the same.

Killed by Adobe - alas.

<OT>
  • Reply 40 of 48
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think this is possible with one piece of base hardware.

Imagine a Mac Pro configuration that is a 3U wide (high) and comes with a tower stand base and handles on top that are installed at the factory. Single power supply and a state of the art GPU.

No imagine the same base system, but instead of a tower base and handles, they are replaced with rails and each mounting hardware. Instead of a single power supply, it comes with a dual PSU (such as this) and instead of a state of the art GPU, you get a bare bones PCI-E card with a mini DP port with integrated LOM, so the card would also have a dedicated ethernet port for it. Presto, a suitable machine intended for the server room.