Apple bumps Time Capsule capacity to 3TB, no mention of new features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just bought one of these drives. I have to tell ya, for $350 and I can't get it to connect the WiFi to work or find any ethernet ports. Maybe the price of Apple's Time Capsule isn't so crazy after all.

1 TB

2 TB

3 TB
  • Reply 22 of 77
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Those are tech sexy!
    Do any of them act as a wireless router base station or even have WiFi access, or do they require being connected via ethernet?

Apple could do a lot of business here with a zero-config device that is milled from a block of aluminium using the new Mac mini footprint, but 3.5x the height.

AFAIK you can plug a compatible wireless adaptor into the QNAP box to access it wirelessly or just use ethernet to your wireless router.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

I think Apple should stay as am advertising company that makes products. (its true!)

It's false!

Quote:

not a company that makes additional hardware.

Heaven forbid anyone have an easy time of doing what they want to do digitally.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

1 TB

2 TB

3 TB

Hitatchi 3 TB: $7,999.99

Western Digital 2TB: $5,499.99

It's almost as if products vary in price based on more than a single metric. \
  • Reply 25 of 77
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

I just bought one of these drives. I have to tell ya, for $350 and I can't get it to connect the WiFi to work or find any ethernet ports. Maybe the price of Apple's Time Capsule isn't so crazy after all.

You bought an internal Harddrive from Hitachi for 350$ Your inability to to apparently read reviews on the product does not mean that any similar product is bad...that just makes you incompetent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Flex_Home.html

Quote:

Implying the hard drives inside the Time Capsule aren't Seagate and Western Digital.

What, you think Apple actually makes their own hard drives? Seriously?

I know Apple doesn't make the majority, if anything of what they sell. I was stating s simple though of my relief that Seagate and Western Digital are both reputable and much more affodable than this shiny box that apple is trying to pass off at $500 for 3TB
  • Reply 26 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    The Time Capsules have always been a rip off.

Why not buy an Airport Extreme Base station and attach a hard drive of your choosing via USB, granted it's not as elegant but you still get the excellent base station hardware and software whilst saving lots of cash.

Works well for me.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

You bought an internal Harddrive from Hitachi for 350$ Your inability to to apparently read reviews on the product does not mean that any similar product is bad...that just makes you incompetent.

No, seriously, you really think he's just trying to get the bare drive to connect? You can't be thinking this.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    aedwardsaedwards Posts: 15member
    The other thing to remember is that these are single-drive boxes, so there is no data redundancy. If the drive dies, you're hosed.

Unlike the 2TB Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 I just got for £290, which eBuyer are currently shipping with an extra 2TB drive giving you 2TB of mirrored storage.

I *think* you can plug a USB wireless adapter into it, but mine sits on the network where I've already got a wireless router.

It works as a Time Machine drive too .
  • Reply 29 of 77
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, seriously, you really think he's just trying to get the bare drive to connect? You can't be thinking this.

no..It's why I labeled him incompetent, partially illiterate and provided a link to a relevant technology.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

3TB for $500?!

Given that you get an Airport Extreme in the deal, the 2TB Time Capsule isn't such a bad deal at $300, but, yes, the 3TB for $500 ain't happening in the John.B household!
  • Reply 31 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Apple should make a nice four-bay NAS. Unfortunately, even if they did, I couldn't afford it.

Actually, I think they just need to beef up the USB port on their existing routers (or better yet, add a FW port because it wouldn't need as powerful a processor in the router to control it). Then you can attach as big (and as many of) a disk or raid array as you want. Oh, and they need to officially support TM on the Extreme's port. Pathetic that they don't. iTunes server would be nice, too; but I find it easier to just let my HTPC mini handle that tasks because then TM can keep my iTunes library backed up.

Quote:

Those are tech sexy!
    Do any of them act as a wireless router base station or even have WiFi access, or do they require being connected via ethernet?

Apple could do a lot of business here with a zero-config device that is milled from a block of aluminium using the new Mac mini footprint, but 3.5x the height.

And when the router dies, which it eventually will, you then have to replace the entire device? No thanks! Just give me a better port on the back to connect my own storage.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aedwards View Post

The other thing to remember is that these are single-drive boxes, so there is no data redundancy. If the drive dies, you're hosed.

Unlike the 2TB Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 I just got for £290, which eBuyer are currently shipping with an extra 2TB drive giving you 2TB of mirrored storage.

I *think* you can plug a USB wireless adapter into it, but mine sits on the network where I've already got a wireless router.

It works as a Time Machine drive too .

Good luck with the Netgear box, in my experience they are not great and don't live long (like all netgear kit).
  • Reply 33 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Given that you get an Airport Extreme in the deal, the 2TB Time Capsule isn't such a bad deal at $300, but, yes, the 3TB for $500 ain't happening in the John.B household!

But wait, John. Why would you pay $500 for a 3TB Time Capsule when you can buy a Linksys E4200 dual band router and a Seagate 3TB NAS for the low, low price of $370. That's $130 in savings.

But that's not all… We'll also throw in complex setup between devices, fragmented service and support which could be hours of fun for you and your family. Act now, supplies are limited….
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, I think they just need to beef up the USB port on their existing routers (or better yet, add a FW port because it wouldn't need as powerful a processor in the router to control it). Then you can attach as big (and as many of) a disk or raid array as you want. Oh, and they need to officially support TM on the Extreme's port. Pathetic that they don't. iTunes server would be nice, too; but I find it easier to just let my HTPC mini handle that tasks because then TM can keep my iTunes library backed up.

And when the router dies, which it eventually will, you then have to replace the entire device? No thanks! Just give me a better port on the back to connect my own storage.

There is truly no need for the Apple Time capsule unless Apple build in features to enable photo, music and video shared storage. You are much better off sticking with your own wireless router then getting a proper NAS box which will do iTunes, iPhoto and video sharing to all of your network kit (Macs, iPhones, PC, PS3, Xbox etc etc)
  • Reply 35 of 77
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    iOS may be "lightweight" compared to a desktop operating system, but it's certainly not lightweight for a router. It's not especially lightweight for a phone either.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

But wait, John. Why would you pay $500 for a 3TB Time Capsule when you can buy a Linksys E4200 dual band router and a Seagate 3TB NAS for the low, low price of $370. That's $130 in savings.

But that's not all? We'll also throw in complex setup between devices, fragmented service and support which could be hours of fun for you and your family. Act now, supplies are limited?.

I love this place!
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    ? Hitatchi 3 TB: $7,999.99

? Western Digital 2TB: $5,499.99

I get what you're saying and in principle I completely agree but dude you posted prices for packs of TWENTY HARD DRIVES.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    There is a market out there for the Time Capsule but I doubt any of us are in that group of customers. Those who buy a Time Capsule are not tech savvy and just need somewhere to back files up to through their Macs.

For everyone else there are 'proper' NAS/Multimedia enclosures for a similar cost which offer a multitude of additional features that the Time Capsule does not.

Mind you, the Time Capsule is a bit of a shit box for the end user too, especially when it goes tits up at least you have raid storage in proper NAS boxes, Apple still class the drive as 'server grade storage' which is total bullshit. If I installed a server for a customer with a single drive and said 'yeah, its ok, its server grade storage' they would fire me. lol
  • Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's false!

no, its very true*

they don't make the cheapest products, or the best. they make the ones that look the best.

by making people see how nice it looks in the adds, how simple it is, etc, etc that all advertising.

"but the OS is easy to use"

Hackintosh. people sell those even, so no reason to say "i can't make one"

when a company focus on making a product look good at the cost of being functional, herehereoh againoh big suprise

throttling, not a large enough power supply, that about sums it up. Apple is about making things thinner, lighter, and nicer looking. not making them more functional.

should i go into the original MBA?

the Mac Cube?

you can talk about how "but sometimes it windows" but aren't there computer SET UP to be able to run windows fine...?

yet, despite this, Apple generally has the best laptops in terms of looks and battery life. this is somthing i accept, but there products are not perfect, and there are a few Windows and Linux PC's that work better, for less, that are just as solid.

*= for there laptop and desktop PC's (a pc is a PERSONAL COMPUTER)

"insert something about how people will say i hate Apple, etc, etc, etc."

I don't dislike Apple. I dislike Steve Job's attitude of (not a quote, just a general overview) "thinner and lighter and better looking is always the most important thing"

or as i sum it up, if Steve Job's could have Apple design a computer/tablet that when you turned it sideways it would be impossible to see, he would.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    ? Hitatchi 3 TB: $7,999.99

? Western Digital 2TB: $5,499.99

Those are a bulk multi-pack of hard drives.