Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Various reports have suggested the iPad could see a display upgrade that would double the tablet's linear resolution to 2048 x 1536.

That would be great. Did anybody do the math? Will the iPad be able to display HD video in 1080p while letterboxed into 16:9?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    cjnovakcjnovak Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple thought long and hard about the aspect ratio. 16:9 makes no sense on a tablet that will be used for heavy reading. 4:3 is here to stay. If all you want to do is watch movies then some 16:9 ratio would be better, but you'll get letter boxing.

If you view the iPad as a super-Kindle, you're absolutely right about the 'heavy reading'. However, I "consume" all sorts of content on my iPad 2, including wide-screen films from Netflix & Hulu. And with the iPad 2's HDMI adapter, you can deliver wide screen iPad 2 content to your HD-TV in the correct aspect ratio.

As movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than HD-TV, anytime you watch a movie without letterboxing, some of the original width has been cropped to fit the 16:9 HD-TV display -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Anyway, we'll find out when iPad 3 is actually announced. Companies CAN change their minds because the original reason for a design point may no longer be valid in light of new component technologies or new device uses not previously envisioned.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

That would be great. Did anybody do the math? Will the iPad be able to display HD video in 1080p while letterboxed into 16:9?

1) I think iOS 5.0 allows the iPad 2 to play 1080p content.

2) What math are you referring to? The resolution is the resolution. The only math that needs to be done ? and I've done it many times before so won't do it again here ? is the total number of pixels that will pushed to the display and how that will affect other component.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjnovak View Post

Another explanation for 'only' 1/3 more resolution is a switch from 'square screen' resolution (aka TV 4:3) to 'wide screen' resolution (aka HD-TV 16:9). Do the math --

((16/9)-(4/3))/(4/3) = 1/3 more.

So instead of a 1024x768 XGA screen, you'd have a 1366x768 WXGA screen. This enables 720p HD-TV resolution on the iPad, making it a nice match for the iPad's optional HDMI adapter.

It would also remove one of the 'advantages' of the Motorola's Xoom Android tablet which is already HD resolution at 1280x800.

The iPad will not be 16:9. It is way too late for that. Steve is on record touting that "there is no wrong way to hold it".

16:9 MAY be "better" for TV. But it is not better for a tablet computer. It is too long to hold in portrait mode. It is totally uncomfortable and unnatural.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Why do so many people think about buying iPhones when a new model is just around the corner?

So... you think everyone buys on launch day or gives a flying frick about new models at all?

Quote:

Will the iPad be able to display HD video in 1080p while letterboxed into 16:9?

Uh, 1080p by definition demands that it itself IS 16:9. Not sure what you're saying here.

Yes, the iPad 2 running an A5 chip and iOS 5 can have 1080p video files copied over to it. I believe they also play.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:

If you view the iPad as a super-Kindle, you're absolutely right about the 'heavy reading'. However, I "consume" all sorts of content on my iPad 2, including wide-screen films from Netflix & Hulu. And with the iPad 2's HDMI adapter, you can deliver wide screen iPad 2 content to your HD-TV in the correct aspect ratio.

As movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than HD-TV, anytime you watch a movie without letterboxing, some of the original width has been cropped to fit the 16:9 HD-TV display -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Anyway, we'll find out when iPad 3 is actually announced. Companies CAN change their minds because the original reason for a design point may no longer be valid in light of new component technologies or new device uses not previously envisioned.

Super Kindle? Really? You don't read emails? You don't read web pages? You're also forgetting the effort that was put into the design and the upcoming Newsstand. I'd say reading of some sort is done on the iPad more than watching widescreen videos.

You're also ignoring the reason why Apple went with 4:3 ratio. I predicted this back as far as 2007 that 16:9 wasn't going to work in portrait mode and Apple would be using something close to 4:3. Turns out I was right and there are plenty of reviews that show that other tablets only excel at watching widescreen videos, which isn't an issue when you have the display <2 feet from your face.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:

1) I think iOS 5.0 allows the iPad 2 to play 1080p content.

2) What math are you referring to? The resolution is the resolution. The only math that needs to be done ? and I've done it many times before so won't do it again here ? is the total number of pixels that will pushed to the display and how that will affect other component.

What I mean is that the 16:9 HD image will be displayed letterboxed on the iPad screen. The top and the bottom of the screen will be unused.

Question: Will the portion of the screen used (showing the picture) in letterbox display have a height of 1080 pixels?

It should be simple arithmetic. When watching 16:9 content on the iPad with the enhanced display, will 1080 lines of resolution be available for the picture? Or less?
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:

1) I think iOS 5.0 allows the iPad 2 to play 1080p content

1080p requires a 2 megapixel display and a 16:9 aspect (1920x1080); the current display is 0.8 megapixel at 4:3 aspect (1024x768 XGA). An iPad hardware upgrade is required to enable iOS 5.0 to display 1080p.

A new iPad 3 'retina' display 4x the resolution of the current one (2048x1536 QXGA) would allow continuation of screen scalability (4x mode in addition to 2x), as well as have sufficient pixels to display 1080p within its borders, and may even allow multiple video modes automatically, depending on how the application was originally designed.

For an illustration of ALL the screen resolutions for the last 30 years (since the original IBM PC introduced CGA graphics), see this link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dards2.svg.png

(for the record, a 1080p HD-TV can show 32 IBM PC CGA displays simultaneously)
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:

Super Kindle? Really? You don't read emails? You don't read web pages? You're also forgetting the effort that was put into the design and the upcoming Newsstand. I'd say reading of some sort is done on the iPad more than watching widescreen videos.

You're right, I read email, news, websites, etc. MUCH more than I view videos.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, 1080p by definition demands that it itself IS 16:9. Not sure what you're saying here.

Yes, the iPad 2 running an A5 chip and iOS 5 can have 1080p video files copied over to it. I believe they also play.

When the iPad displays HD content, it letterboxes it. Therefore, it uses some vertical resolution for the picture, and some for the black bars.

When displaying HD content in 16:9, will the picture be 1080 pixels tall? Or some other number?
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

What I mean is that the 16:9 HD image will be displayed letterboxed on the iPad screen.

Any content that doesn't match the aspect ratio will be letterboxed or cropped. This is the same for 16:9 displays trying to play 1.85 or 2.35 ratio video.

Quote:

1080p requires a 2 megapixel display and a 16:9 aspect (1920x1080); the current display is 0.8 megapixel at 4:3 aspect (1024x768 XGA). An iPad hardware upgrade is required to enable iOS 5.0 to display 1080p.

Why do you people confuse the content with the display. As I previously stated, I think iOS 5.0 will finally allow you to load and play 1080p content.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

When displaying HD content in 16:9, will the picture be 1080 pixels tall? Or some other number?

Some other number - the 1080p video has to be scaled to fit the physical resolution of the display. The letterboxing you see on HD on iPad is because the PHYSICAL screen is 4:3 trying to display 16:9 content.

Right now, I think a 1080p video on iPad 2 would play in the equivalent of 480p letterboxed resolution. True 1080p would require the 4x 'retina display' being talked about for iPad 3.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Why is so much effort spent on resolution of content and displays as if they are one and the same. I'll take Apple's 720p at a higher total bit rate over YouTube's 1080p at a lower total bit rate any day. I think MS was doing the same thing with their 1080p on Xbox Live.

Quote:

You're right, I read email, news, websites, etc. MUCH more than I view videos.

I'd love for the iPad to display a movie in 1:2.35 aspect ratio for some movies but until we can displays that will morph with the design as needed I think 4:3 is the best all around solution.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

Why do you people confuse the content with the display. As I previously stated, I think iOS 5.0 will finally allow you to load and play 1080p content.

You're probably right. But unless Apple hid a 2 megapixel display (1920x1080) in the iPad 1 and 2, you will need a hardware upgrade to see all 2 million pixels of 1080p. Otherwise, what you see will be scaled down to what the hardware can actually display.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

I never made that mistake. You did. I want to know if the iPad will be able to display HD content with 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

I don't care if it can "play" some sort of downscaled resolution of an HD file. I want to know if it can display 1080p video without rejiggering the vertical resolution to less than 1080 lines of resolution, or otherwise destroying the HD presentation?

When displaying 16:9 content on the new screen, how many vertial lines of screen resolution will be available for the picture? 1080? Less?

Can I be any more clear?
  • Reply 36 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

No, of course not. It's limited to the height of the display. The iPad is 4:3, by the way.

Quote:

As I previously stated, I think iOS 5.0 will finally allow you to load and play 1080p content.

You can drop the 'I think'.

Quote:

You're probably right. But unless Apple hid a 2 megapixel display (1920x1080) in the iPad 1 and 2, you will need a hardware upgrade to see all 2 million pixels of 1080p. Otherwise, what you see will be scaled down to what the hardware can actually display.

You've never heard of "30-pin out to a projector", have you?

Heck, you've never heard of AirPlay, have you?
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

I never made that mistake. You did. I want to know if the iPad will be able to display HD content with 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

I don't care if it can "play" some sort of downscaled resolution of an HD file. I want to know if it can display 1080p video without rejiggering the vertical resolution to less than 1080 lines of resolution, or otherwise destroying the HD presentation?

When displaying 16:9 content on the new screen, how many vertial lines of screen resolution will be available for the picture? 1080? Less?

Can I be any more clear?

You made the mistake, because you choose not to be clear. As I previously stated I think iOS 5.0 will allow the iPad 2 to load 1080p content and play them. The display on the iPad 2 is still 1024x768 so it's not displaying the content as 1080p but it decoding it and then scaling it. If you use an adapter to an external monitor that supports 1080p then the iPad will still be able to process the 10180p content and the external monitor will be able to display it. You're constant use of "the iPad" without qualifying which component of "the iPad" is clear you aren't understanding the differences between these vertical line designations between input and output. You've also ignored my comments about movies not being in 16:9 but a much wider aspect ratio that will also be cropped or letterboxed. This isn't going to change! Neither will Apple's smart use of the 4:3 ratio on the iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've never heard of "30-pin out to a projector", have you?

Heck, you've never heard of AirPlay, have you?

Derision isn't helpful. And I have heard of both ways of getting iPad content to a high resolution DISPLAY. But unless the iPad 1 or 2 has a display ADAPTER capable of generating 1080p's 2 million pixels in the first place, what iOS 5.0 will give you is 480p generated by an iPad 1/2 ADAPTER scaled up to 1080p on an HD-TV. Scaled = fuzzier 1080p than if the iPad 1/2 adapter could generate the 2 megapixels in the first place. Now perhaps Apple has already included a 2 megapixel video adapter in iPad 1 & 2, and has just been waiting for iOS 5 to 'unlock' the capabilities. If so, you're right - iOS will allow true 1080p. But if current iPad display adapters are less than 2 megapixels resolution, then you will need a hardware upgrade like iPad 3 to get a higher resolution display ADAPTER to use HDMI or AirPlay to see true, sharp, 1080p without scaling.

For an example, look at your own PC/Mac. Your display settings are based on the graphics adapter's capabilities, not what the screen can actually display.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Various reports have suggested the iPad could see a display upgrade that would double the tablet's linear resolution to 2048 x 1536.

OK, I'll attempt the arithmetic.

We've got a width of 2048 pixels. that is the 16. 2048/16=128

So we need to calculate whether, after letterboxing, there will be 1080 lines available vertically.

Let's see - so we have a total of 1536 lines available. We need 9 blocks of pixels, the same size as before, in order to dispay the height.

Each block of pixels is 128 pixels. So 9 * 128 = 1152!

Plenty of pixels to display HD in 1080p. Is my math correct? Anybody?
  • Reply 40 of 58
    insult removed