Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 69
    kent909kent909 Posts: 708member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post


    When you create an ADC account, you are accepting a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT.



    Again, What has he disclosed that Apple has not already disclosed? Once Apple discloses something it is no longer restricted by the NDA!
  • Reply 42 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post


    It killed my iMac, after update the machine rebooted and never started up after that - I am stuck with white screen after reboot, not even apple logo. Help!



    So one person has trouble and you say "do not install"? Yeah, we'll heed that warning.



    You did something wrong. Pop in your Snow Leopard disc and repair it.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Why shouldn't AirPlay be in QT on Mac OS X, when it already is on iOS?! Why would I want to add files to my iTunes library just to send it to Apple TV and then the trash?



    I should be able to use airplay from the QT web plugin as well! Apple's Mac AirPlay support is half-ass, and appears NO BETTER on 10.7 either!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Does it kill you to add anything playing in QT with a one-button click (or a single drag'n'drop) to iTunes to get AirPlay capabilities?



    (Well, I only have an Airport Express and no Apple TV thus I don't know whether iTunes' AirPlay integration includes video.)



  • Reply 44 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    So one person has trouble and you say "do not install"? Yeah, we'll heed that warning.



    You did something wrong. Pop in your Snow Leopard disc and repair it.



    I did nothing wrong, I have instalked the update same way as all other updates and then bammmm. I googled that more people had similar problems and no known reason was discovered so far, in my case removing bootcamp partition solved the problem (I wasn't using Windows anyway).



    Just be careful before updating. :-)
  • Reply 45 of 69
    Is OS X Lion bloated? On another forum I visit we were discussing different Linux distributions and some more experienced Mac users think the Mac software is becoming a bit bloated. It isn't a lightning fast OS compared to some Linux distributions.



    I suppose it all depends on the point of view of the user. Is an app store really needed? Why not just continue to acquire programs the same way as before? This adds another layer of stuff to the OS. Is communicating with another proprietary IM system needed? That's more stuff.



    It is too bad that the OS X software is getting so specialized that it won't work on some older machines, yet Linux distros work great on older machines and make them blazing fast. I have a 2.3 GHz AMD LE 1300 Sempron with 2 GB RAM and it is running things faster than Leopard OS X using 10.5.8. My Mac Book has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.



    On the Ubuntu machine I can scroll down a page of photos and nearly all of them appear instantly as I do it. On my Mac Book as I scroll at that same speed I mostly see icons in place of the thumbnail images. Often the scrolling freezes for a moment. It just doesn't seem right that my $255.00 HP desktop with a free OS runs faster than an $1150.00 Mac Book.



    I'm not sure I'll buy another Mac. I do want to buy an iPod Touch now that it can exist independently of a computer. That is good news because it will be another reason I'll be able to switch to Linux. Once Netflix works on Linux there will be no real reason for me to continue to use Vista or Leopard.



    As iOS gets more powerful with more programs/apps, how many ordinary people will be abandoning their Macs? That day is coming sooner than you might think.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    re. the comments about download sizing



    10.6.8 Combo updater, for any release of 10.6 Snow Leopard (10.6.0 through 10.6.7), if download as a file from Apple, is 1.09 GB.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399



    10.6.8 Delta updater, the 'delta' update, only for 10.6.7 users, if download as a file from Apple is 474 MB.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400



    And if you use Software Update, then it makes a scan of your current system and components, and downloads only the necessary subset of pieces for your particular system. Which is almost always less than the single file download (this applies whether you are a 'delta' updater or a 'combo' updater).



    Though, based on past experiences, many technical users choose the Combo updater to be sure that all pieces are refreshed. (And with the usual repair permissions step before the update, then again after the update...)



    But these Combo updaters are sure gettin' mighty big thar...
  • Reply 47 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    This is what you get for installing software that you have absolutely no right to have.



    Live with whatever happens come July. You have no one to blame but yourself.



    Backup your shit and install Lion from scratch when it is released. Just buy it on the App store, download it, burn it off then backup and do a fresh install. Best way to upgrade from any version of OSX in my experience.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    Is OS X Lion bloated? On another forum I visit we were discussing different Linux distributions and some more experienced Mac users think the Mac software is becoming a bit bloated. It isn't a lightning fast OS compared to some Linux distributions.



    I suppose it all depends on the point of view of the user. Is an app store really needed? Why not just continue to acquire programs the same way as before? This adds another layer of stuff to the OS. Is communicating with another proprietary IM system needed? That's more stuff.



    It is too bad that the OS X software is getting so specialized that it won't work on some older machines, yet Linux distros work great on older machines and make them blazing fast. I have a 2.3 GHz AMD LE 1300 Sempron with 2 GB RAM and it is running things faster than Leopard OS X using 10.5.8. My Mac Book has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.



    On the Ubuntu machine I can scroll down a page of photos and nearly all of them appear instantly as I do it. On my Mac Book as I scroll at that same speed I mostly see icons in place of the thumbnail images. Often the scrolling freezes for a moment. It just doesn't seem right that my $255.00 HP desktop with a free OS runs faster than an $1150.00 Mac Book.



    I'm not sure I'll buy another Mac. I do want to buy an iPod Touch now that it can exist independently of a computer. That is good news because it will be another reason I'll be able to switch to Linux. Once Netflix works on Linux there will be no real reason for me to continue to use Vista or Leopard.



    As iOS gets more powerful with more programs/apps, how many ordinary people will be abandoning their Macs? That day is coming sooner than you might think.



    Linux as a desktop OS is terrible and purely the realm of the sadomasochistic user. Its fine as a base for Xen in servers or for firewalls but thats where its universal usability ends.



    If you were to roll linux out as a desktop OS in an office environment your customer would shoot you.



    Lion, even in beta form is smaller and faster than Leopard and Snow leopard ever were on the same hardware. Its also waaay more user friendly than linux.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post


    Hahaha Ohhhh I totally called this release coming out today two days ago



    And we need more graphics drivers.



    The drivers in Lion make a HUGE difference in World of Warcraft allowing you to use ultra water and lighting effects without killing the fps. Pity there is a mouse freeze bug in WoW on lion which loses the mouse input for a second when you rotate the camera.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    Is OS X Lion bloated? On another forum I visit we were discussing different Linux distributions and some more experienced Mac users think the Mac software is becoming a bit bloated. It isn't a lightning fast OS compared to some Linux distributions.



    I suppose it all depends on the point of view of the user. Is an app store really needed? Why not just continue to acquire programs the same way as before? This adds another layer of stuff to the OS. Is communicating with another proprietary IM system needed? That's more stuff.



    It is too bad that the OS X software is getting so specialized that it won't work on some older machines, yet Linux distros work great on older machines and make them blazing fast. I have a 2.3 GHz AMD LE 1300 Sempron with 2 GB RAM and it is running things faster than Leopard OS X using 10.5.8. My Mac Book has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.



    On the Ubuntu machine I can scroll down a page of photos and nearly all of them appear instantly as I do it. On my Mac Book as I scroll at that same speed I mostly see icons in place of the thumbnail images. Often the scrolling freezes for a moment. It just doesn't seem right that my $255.00 HP desktop with a free OS runs faster than an $1150.00 Mac Book.



    I'm not sure I'll buy another Mac. I do want to buy an iPod Touch now that it can exist independently of a computer. That is good news because it will be another reason I'll be able to switch to Linux. Once Netflix works on Linux there will be no real reason for me to continue to use Vista or Leopard.



    As iOS gets more powerful with more programs/apps, how many ordinary people will be abandoning their Macs? That day is coming sooner than you might think.



    So the gist of your commentary has very little to do with the recent update and everything (it seems) to do with running Linux? Your technorati bias is showing through clearly. The heavy majority of Mac users is skewed towards the average consumer (TAC) - who ARE the "ordinary people" who sure as heck AREN'T going to be installing Linux desktop anytime soon. Just because your distros in Linux are spartan and long-tailed to the extreme doesn't mean that it is anymore attractive to TAC. Your Linux lib and services of course are going to run faster on the HP desktop because it is built to do that, less stuff installed, less overhead to manage - one would think that for someone who is messing around with Linux you would be savvy enough to recognize the inherent differences between the platforms and understand the whys and wherefores of your performance differences without coming here to plant your rant in this thread.



    Most of us here get it - Linux runs very nicely. Yep. No doubt there. But here's the deal. You like (by way of analogy) to run around with a basic build no frills truck to do your hauling - that's fantastic and I'm happy for you. But the average person WANTS amenities like nice seats, air conditioning, satellite radio, sun roof, power steering, etc. What suits you, suits you, but your needs wants and desires in this case are categorically NOT the needs wants and desires of an average consumer. And that's OK. But to complain about it here is rather silly I think...
  • Reply 51 of 69
    russ10sruss10s Posts: 2member
    So. Downloaded this update through software update and now my MacBook Pro is unresponsive. I get all the way through the boot process and to the desktop. But at that point, nothing is responsive. My cursor moves, but I can't click on anything. Visually, the only thing that looks out of the norm is my volume icon is grayed out. How do I fix my computer?



    Edit: After just letting the computer sit for about 10 minutes, it just started working. The volume icon was still grayed out and the mail app wouldn't open though. I downloaded the full combo update and ran that instead. Everything seems to be working great now.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Just update and now TRIM Support=Yes in System Profiler on a 2010 MacBook Pro with an APPLE SSD TS128B installed. Already noticing a performance boost.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    I downloaded a 450GB update and now the app store app crashes on opening. Some improvement.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post


    I did nothing wrong, I have instalked the update same way as all other updates and then bammmm. I googled that more people had similar problems and no known reason was discovered so far, in my case removing bootcamp partition solved the problem (I wasn't using Windows anyway).



    Just be careful before updating. :-)



    I have bootcamp but no issue like yours, very strange. I did however loose bluetooth, actually happens quite often with updates. SMC reset did the trick so no harm done thus far.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russ10s View Post


    So. Downloaded this update through software update and now my MacBook Pro is unresponsive. I get all the way through the boot process and to the desktop. But at that point, nothing is responsive. My cursor moves, but I can't click on anything. Visually, the only thing that looks out of the norm is my volume icon is grayed out. How do I fix my computer?



    Edit: After just letting the computer sit for about 10 minutes, it just started working. The volume icon was still grayed out and the mail app wouldn't open though. I downloaded the full combo update and ran that instead. Everything seems to be working great now.



    Highly recommend perm repair before & after any upgrade, and if you have issues PRAM & SMC resets are always a good idea. Also using a tool like Onyx to delete system caches sometimes helps.



    I really wish Apple would build in some of these simple troubleshooting techniques to happen automatically when issues are encountered. Great tool for some of this stuff is AppleJack, lets you do a lot of that stuff from single user mode.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Linux as a desktop OS is terrible and purely the realm of the sadomasochistic user. Its fine as a base for Xen in servers or for firewalls but thats where its universal usability ends.



    If you were to roll linux out as a desktop OS in an office environment your customer would shoot you.



    Lion, even in beta form is smaller and faster than Leopard and Snow leopard ever were on the same hardware. Its also waaay more user friendly than linux.



    The Redhat people would disagree. Business applications is what they do. Cannonical does the same.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post


    So the gist of your commentary has very little to do with the recent update and everything (it seems) to do with running Linux? Your technorati bias is showing through clearly. The heavy majority of Mac users is skewed towards the average consumer (TAC) - who ARE the "ordinary people" who sure as heck AREN'T going to be installing Linux desktop anytime soon. Just because your distros in Linux are spartan and long-tailed to the extreme doesn't mean that it is anymore attractive to TAC. Your Linux lib and services of course are going to run faster on the HP desktop because it is built to do that, less stuff installed, less overhead to manage - one would think that for someone who is messing around with Linux you would be savvy enough to recognize the inherent differences between the platforms and understand the whys and wherefores of your performance differences without coming here to plant your rant in this thread.



    Most of us here get it - Linux runs very nicely. Yep. No doubt there. But here's the deal. You like (by way of analogy) to run around with a basic build no frills truck to do your hauling - that's fantastic and I'm happy for you. But the average person WANTS amenities like nice seats, air conditioning, satellite radio, sun roof, power steering, etc. What suits you, suits you, but your needs wants and desires in this case are categorically NOT the needs wants and desires of an average consumer. And that's OK. But to complain about it here is rather silly I think...



    I only commented about how quickly my photos showed up using Ubuntu on a clearly inferior machine compared to a Mac Book that cost four times as much. I didn't specifically comment on any other operation.



    In a 2009 demonstration of the newest Mac Books with a new dedicated graphics chip and a faster buss speed, it showed how fast it processed images. The demonstrator scrolled down a page full of thumbnail images and almost all of them were photos, not icons. That impressed me. I couldn't do that with my 2008 Mac Book.



    That is the type of usage the ordinary person does. I'm ordinary. I do that often.



    I've never been to Technorati.



    I don't know much about the inner workings of Linux or the different distributions. I'm an ordinary user that got fed up with Vista and installed a Linux dual boot. I did it with plenty of help from forums. I don't know any html or any type of coding. What I can do is follow good instructions.



    As far as the no frills truck; trucks are good but I like fancy things sometimes. Though I don't use all that is available for Linux or the Mac, the frilly stuff is available in Linux in abundance. Social networking is even more advanced than features in Snow Leopard.



    About complaining here being silly; maybe it is in some respects. Since Lion is new and it is an OS that does things for users, it seemed the right place to ask opinions of others if they thought the newer OSs are getting too bloated (especially since the update for some people was bigger than 1 GB).



    Like I said, it just seems wrong that graphics, file transfers, logon/logoff times, and the like are faster on an inferior machine using Ubuntu. I love Leopard. I rejoice in how much better it works compared to anything from Microsoft. Leopard really makes me smile when I think of that comparison.



    Ten years from now I don't think I'll want to buy a super computer from Apple just so I can watch holographic movies and use voice commands while having conversations with my home system.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    For those having problems with the update, it would be interesting to know what kind/year of Mac you have. I know I had problems with my 2006 MBP after some updates, but ever since I upgraded last year, I haven't had any problems with recent updates.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    Highly recommend perm repair before & after any upgrade.....







  • Reply 58 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post






    Permissions....
  • Reply 59 of 69
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    Is OS X Lion bloated? On another forum I visit we were discussing different Linux distributions and some more experienced Mac users think the Mac software is becoming a bit bloated. It isn't a lightning fast OS compared to some Linux distributions.



    Since all Linux installs come with no iLife suite then yes, they are definitely a smaller footprint than what comes default on any Mac. On top of that OS X comes with many other fully featured system wide apps that take up space where as Linux has a few half attempts at being a professional grade application; you still often have to find & install much of the best Linux software out there just to get it to come even close to what Windows & OS X do out of the box. Comparing the 2 OSes based on total drive consumption alone is really quite worthless, especially since a difference of 10 - 20GB in systems isn't going to make any difference on a 250GB drive.



    Quote:

    I suppose it all depends on the point of view of the user. Is an app store really needed? Why not just continue to acquire programs the same way as before? This adds another layer of stuff to the OS. Is communicating with another proprietary IM system needed? That's more stuff.



    Actually many of the changes to OS X have allowed apps obtain a smaller footprint & become more powerful, the app store is somewhat of an extension of this as it simplifies all sorts of methods of packaging. So again, I don't think you fully understand what you are talking about.



    Quote:

    It is too bad that the OS X software is getting so specialized that it won't work on some older machines, yet Linux distros work great on older machines and make them blazing fast. I have a 2.3 GHz AMD LE 1300 Sempron with 2 GB RAM and it is running things faster than Leopard OS X using 10.5.8. My Mac Book has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.



    Any OS can run faster on other hardware if you strip it down, why OS X can actually be so efficient it will run on phone hardware. That's right, iOS is OS X in a scaled down & more optimized form, and Lion will be a more optimized form for desktop/laptop environment. Also, comparing performance against 10.5 is worthless anyway since it is the slowest version of OS X that was ever released. It was a necessary release to help transition people from PPC to Intel so it was extra bloated.



    Quote:

    I'm not sure I'll buy another Mac. I do want to buy an iPod Touch now that it can exist independently of a computer. That is good news because it will be another reason I'll be able to switch to Linux. Once Netflix works on Linux there will be no real reason for me to continue to use Vista or Leopard.



    As iOS gets more powerful with more programs/apps, how many ordinary people will be abandoning their Macs? That day is coming sooner than you might think.



    Vista & Leopard?! You poor soul! You are certainly welcome to never buy a Mac again & if sticking with Linux makes you happy then go for it, the right choice is always what makes your personal life easier.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    For those having problems with the update, it would be interesting to know what kind/year of Mac you have. I know I had problems with my 2006 MBP after some updates, but ever since I upgraded last year, I haven't had any problems with recent updates.

















    Love it! Boy I needed a good laugh today, thanks so much.
Sign In or Register to comment.