Apple makes WWDC 2011 session videos available to developers via iTunes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday published to its developer website more than 100 session videos taken during its annual developer conference, covering Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5.0, iCloud and more.

In total, 109 session videos have been made available to registered developers, allowing those who were unable to attend the conference earlier this month to brush up on the Cupertino-based company's forthcoming software enhancements.

The videos -- which are available in both SD and HD formats for the the Mac, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone or Apple TV -- may also serve as reference for those developers who did attend the gathering but were unable to attend all the sessions they would have liked due to scheduling conflicts.

Developers seeking to review the videos must be a registered member of Apple's Apple Developer Connection and logged into their account before being able to browse and download sessions through the company's iTunes software.

This year, Apple has broken its session tracks into six core categories: Apple Platforms Kickoff; App Frameworks; Graphics, Media, and Games; Core OS; and Internet and Web.

For example, one session in the App Framworks folder covers "Storing Documents in iCloud Using iOS 5," while another in the the Core OS folder details "Next-Generation Cryptographic Services.

Apple used its 2011 Worldwide Developers Conference to disclose plans for Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5, which are slated to hit the market in July and the Fall, respectively. Both operating systems will leverage iCloud, Apple's online data synchronization service, also introduced at the conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Probably best to load up all the slideshows 1st, before the simultaneous download of 109 videos...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    This is FREE for basic (non-paid) developers!

Nice reporting on THAT IMPORTANT DETAIL AI.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm excited about this. Can't wait to watch my first one this evening.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I love apple. These guys make coding easy!!!

Thanksto newtool called arc
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i can never find these things! link, please?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    I wondered how Apple was going to handle storing data on iCloud. "Storing documents in icloud using ios5" suggests that all iCloud related things are going to be presented as an API/Cocoa Framework? Can users still store arbitrary files on the cloud? If not, I'm going to miss my iDisk.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i can never find these things! link, please?

? http://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2011/
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? http://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2011/

thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Thanksto newtool called arc

I am totally psyched about ARC: automatic memory management without the overhead of garbage collection! The only thing you have to be careful of is not to create retain cycles.

I died a little inside (lol) when Apple first released the garbage collector for OS X, because one of the things I love about them is their love of performance, but tonight I am grinning ear to ear.

I already tried to convert my iOS app to use ARC and my own code converted fine (3 small issues), but the Facebook iOS SDK (which comes in source form) is doing some funky stuff which it doesn't like. Hopefully Facebook will release an update for that fairly soon.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    With OpenGL 3.2 /GLSL1.5 system-wide for OS X Lion Apple once again makes the entire platform experience ahead of any other OS. The last leg will be the 3.3/4.x transition which is done together. I imagine they will not wait until 10.8 for that feature set.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am totally psyched about ARC: automatic memory management without the overhead of garbage collection! The only thing you have to be careful of is not to create retain cycles.

I died a little inside (lol) when Apple first released the garbage collector for OS X, because one of the things I love about them is their love of performance, but tonight I am grinning ear to ear.

I already tried to convert my iOS app to use ARC and my own code converted fine (3 small issues), but the Facebook iOS SDK (which comes in source form) is doing some funky stuff which it doesn't like. Hopefully Facebook will release an update for that fairly soon.

Yes, a nice leap frog of the Java devs famed GC.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes, a nice leap frog of the Java devs famed GC.

Yes, it was working as an enterprise Java dev for many years that put me off GC in the first place.

ARC might generate one or two unnecessary calls to retain and release (it's a mechanical process after all), but that's a heck of a lot better than massive cleanup operations at runtime.

I hope that computer science lecturers at Uni start mentioning this alternative middle ground to their students.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Wondering if there is any way to download these WWDC 2011 session videos ?.

My itunes always shows a network connection failed error - Fed up here.