40% of European smartphone buyers plan on buying iPhone next, 19% choose Android

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

A

2010:

Gartner: Android OS Sales Trump iOS And RIM, Grew 888 Percent In 2010

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/gar...rcent-in-2010/

Android devices have collectively outsold the iPhone since April of 2010, and continued their climb even after Apple's latest smartphone launched in the summer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...one_sales.html

Yes, but that is so last year.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Perhaps your Safari failed to load the full post. Just before that I'd included:

You are quite selective in what reports you want to believe. Or not. This one is about the desirability of APple in Europe. You dont believe it. That one - from April, and thus out of date - is about the desirability of iOS in the US. That you believe.

All I can say is Apple is not yet competing on a level playing field with Android yet. I personally think that Android's inability to eat into Apple's share in the calendaryear when Apple have not yet released a phone and have not gone on all carriers worldwide, nor have a cheap phone means the writing is on the wall for Android.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

There's the rub. Unlike the US, where the handset cost difference is low compared to the service cost, there is a huge difference in price between iPhone and others. Most buyers of Andriod phones buy them as a cheaper alternative to iPhone rather than any dislike of Apple or like for "free and open" Google

I sold phones for 4 months last summer while I was unable to travel for my normal work and this was something that I saw literally every day.

The best selling Android phones aren't the high end ones that sell in the US, they are things like the Orange SanFrancisco, the HTC Europa and ones that are on run-out like the SGS and Desire.

Samsung have tried to capture more of the market by pitching the SGS2 low from day one and it will be interesting to see how that sells.

I have just come back from Paris and I have literally never seen so many iPhone and iPads. Wher money is no object, people buy iPhones

That's not what I am seeing in the Netherlands at least. Here the best selling android phones are the high end ones. But the high end ones can be a lot cheaper than an iPhone. For people like me, who do not call a lot, I can easily get by on a 30 euro contract - 150 minutes, 1000 SMS and unlimited data. I got a free HTC desire (top HTC at the time) on sale for half price for the first 12 months - (15 euro for 12 followed by 30 for 12). The cheapest ccontract I could get a free iPhone for was 35 euro per month for the full 24 months.

Here is an example page from todays phones - do not need to be able to read dutch to see how much cheaper an top end android. The price you see for the top end android are for the first 12 months, they double for the second 12 months. The price for iphone are the same for the term of the contract - 24 months.

http://www.vodafone.nl/shop/mobiel_b...ele_telefoons/

The iCloud may work strongly in Apples favour. I know a lot of people with android phones and an iPod - iCloud will mean you do not need a phone and ipod, just a phone. This may well mean, come upgrade time, that they go for an iPhone instead of a new android and a new iPod.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

That's not what I am seeing in the Netherlands at least. Here the best selling android phones are the high end ones. But the high end ones can be a lot cheaper than an iPhone. For people like me, who do not call a lot, I can easily get by on a 30 euro contract - 150 minutes, 1000 SMS and unlimited data. I got a free HTC desire (top HTC at the time) on sale for half price for the first 12 months - (15 euro for 12 followed by 30 for 12). The cheapest ccontract I could get a free iPhone for was 35 euro per month for the full 24 months.

Here is an example page from todays phones - do not need to be able to read dutch to see how much cheaper an top end android. The price you see for the top end android are for the first 12 months, they double for the second 12 months. The price for iphone are the same for the term of the contract - 24 months.

http://www.vodafone.nl/shop/mobiel_b...ele_telefoons/

Great post. People here live in a US bubble where they think the iPhone is cheap because it costs $50. The real cost of the 3GS is $500, or so, unlocked in Europe.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    This survey is nonsense. Feel free to quote me a year from now.