Apple planning for new MacBook Airs in July, A6 processor in 2012, and 15M iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Stick it to Samsung! Though wish they went to Intel for fabrication.

Next, replace the Samsung-sourced memory and flash chips with chips from other suppliers. Samsung is evil.

They already have.

Just opened up my new 27" iMaC last night to swap out the 4GB RAM for a 8GB upgrade.

The factory installed RAM chips I took out were "Elpida" brand.

There you go.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Thanks for your speculation, but I can't wait to see how an A6 Air really stacks up against a sandy-bridge Air.

I don't know you, and I was merely trying to inform your comment. I'm new, so I'll leave further response to your tone aside.

The Reality

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cf...WT050911220752

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...y-would-it.ars

The projected performance of the ARM A15 core, which is the next revision that the A6 would be based upon, has been defined by ARM. Any licensee specific variations/modifications would result in nominal differences in the performance. The Apple branded SOCs do not use custom cores, the cores are based upon ARM designs. The Apple A4 is based upon the ARM A8 core, and the A5 is based upon the ARM A9.

Intel's problem competing isn't with respect to performance, it's with respect to power consumption. A comparably performing Atom uses more power than a comparable ARM-based chip.

So the original comment stands. A Sandy Bridge (or Nehalem or Bonnell or Penryn) are in a different league performance wise from the A4, A5 or A6. Realistically ARM would project to Sandy Bridge level performance in 5-7 years.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    A4 in 2010, A5 in 2011, A6 in 2012 ...

Hmmm, I wonder what will come after that, and what year.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

They already have.

Just opened up my new 27" iMaC last night to swap out the 4GB RAM for a 8GB upgrade.

The factory installed RAM chips I took out were "Elpida" brand.

There you go.

I suspect if you opened another iMac it would have Samsung memory in it. They'll be buying DRAM from all the big DRAM manufacturers. They are pretty much plug and play.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I wonder if the A6 will be the same CPU/GPU combination as will power the Vita. If so, that should bring near X360 level visuals to the iPad 3 and iPhone 6.

(for reference the A5 is the same SOC as the Vita, but with half the number of cores)
  • Reply 26 of 48
    epointsepoints Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Calm down people, read the paragraph again slowly, perhaps breathe into a paper bag. It doesn't say that Apple have abandoned Samsung, just that they're diversifying their processor production. It's entirely possible that Samsung are hitting supply limits, or Apple want a bit of pricing leverage over them, either way - Samsung will remain a substantial supplier.

I agreed but it's time to get rid of ungrateful supplier.... Samsung is evil...
  • Reply 27 of 48
    epointsepoints Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. Corporations are like wild animals, they are neither good nor bad. They have no conscience or morality in the same sense individual humans do. Like animals they operate primarily out of self-interest. If you feed them they take it, if you don't they may eat you.

that's right... it is a pitbull... shoot it...

You don't see FoxConn stealing apple's design and spin off copycat products.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Most MacBook Air sold are of the 11.6-inch model. Why having less battery and power? Because in this kind of computer people want mobility. That is why a 7-inch (or so) MacBook Air will outsell any other MacBook.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Most MacBook Air sold are of the 11.6-inch model. Why having less battery and power? Because in this kind of computer people want mobility. That is why a 7-inch (or so) MacBook Air will outsell any other MacBook.

• Reply 30 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 15 million iPhone 5 in one month.

If that happens... holy hell...

For the intro month only, though. It'll probably settle down to a smaller number on an ongoing basis, I am sure.

Still, HUGE. (Does anyone recall offhand how many iPhone 4s were sold in the first month? I vaguely recall a number in the mid-single digits).
  • Reply 31 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

• Reply 32 of 48
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Perhaps Santa Claus will bring you one.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:

However, the same report somewhat dubiously suggests Apple will "take deliveries of over eight million MacBook Airs in the third quarter" of the year, which would represent a more than two-fold increase in quarterly notebook shipments for the Cupertino-based company before even its flagship MacBook Pro line was factored in.

I don't see how Apple can sell 8 million MBAs in a quarter unless a low end (possibly i5 based) MacBook Air is coming at a much lower price point (e.g. $599)
  • Reply 34 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Last edited by quinney; Today at 04:26 PM.. Reason: if you're good

A 7-inch MacBook Air is the perfect mobile compliment to the xMac, you know.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vgermax View Post

In other news

iOS 6 in 18-24 months. Will be better than Android/WebOS/Windows

OS X 10.8 to be released in 18-24 months. Code name to be confirmed but initial sources say Big Cat

iPhone 6 on track for 2012 Q3/Q4. Will be faster, thinner, lighter and of course much cooler

Next years iMac/Macbook/Mac Pro refreshes to be faster than current models

Big Cat? Well, if that's true, that answers my question about Apple transitioning to OS "11". I was wondering, since there are only 7 big cats and whether the next release would be "Liger" lol.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Apple doesn't do things, at least directly, to appease shareholders. Most consumers are not aware that Lion is imminent, thus they would be pretty annoyed if they bought a computer then a month later had to upgrade the OS in order to benefit from iCloud, etc. Apple would rather just wait and sell a fully loaded, updated computer. If Apple listened to the cries of shareholders, they would have split their stock, paid a dividend, released Jobs' health records, etc, etc.

That's true. I try to do a reinstall every so often, but I understand that's not the norm. Though the upgrade option would allow most people to upgrade without having to reinstall programs or re-transfer data, Apple's all about how easy using Macs are, so it makes sense they want to avoid making their customers do that.

However, I do think they want to inflate the install base number for Lion as much as possible to justify to shareholders how the lower OS price has resulted in a very fast adoption rate, even if good percentage is actually coming from new Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by m3digi View Post

Wow, really?

Yes really. I think it's stupid, but I understand Apple's view.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

So go get one. They're selling them right now.

Thanks for that great response! I was obviously just venting my frustration about waiting, which numerous other people have done in these forums. I'm totally going to go walk into the Apple store now and buy one now when I've been waiting months for them. I will wait, I'm just frustrated.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

7" is too small even for a tablet
  • Reply 38 of 48
    vgermaxvgermax Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by One Fine Line View Post

Big Cat? Well, if that's true, that answers my question about Apple transitioning to OS "11". I was wondering, since there are only 7 big cats and whether the next release would be "Liger" lol.

Um... I was being facetious with the entire post. Just in case the obviousness of my predictions wasn't so obvious.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

So if Apple releases a 4" MacBook Air, it will sell even more.

And if they sell a 2" MacBook Air, all the computer factories in the world wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by One Fine Line View Post

That's not at all true. I happen to have it from a reliable source that Apple will follow the Leopard / Snow Leopard scheme. Lion will be followed by Nittany Lion.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vgermax View Post

I don't know you, and I was merely trying to inform your comment. I'm new, so I'll leave further response to your tone aside.

The Reality

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cf...WT050911220752

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...y-would-it.ars

The projected performance of the ARM A15 core, which is the next revision that the A6 would be based upon, has been defined by ARM.

it is a stretch to say A6 will be based on ARMs A15 core. Apple could just as easily shrink the current design and add a couple of more cores. At 28nm they could go to four cores, up the clock rate and still be ahead on power.

Beyond that A15 IS NOT 64 BIT. Apple will need the 64 bit address space sooner than many think.

Quote:

Any licensee specific variations/modifications would result in nominal differences in the performance. The Apple branded SOCs do not use custom cores, the cores are based upon ARM designs. The Apple A4 is based upon the ARM A8 core, and the A5 is based upon the ARM A9.

There is some debate going on about this.

Quote:

Intel's problem competing isn't with respect to performance, it's with respect to power consumption. A comparably performing Atom uses more power than a comparable ARM-based chip.

So the original comment stands. A Sandy Bridge (or Nehalem or Bonnell or Penryn) are in a different league performance wise from the A4, A5 or A6. Realistically ARM would project to Sandy Bridge level performance in 5-7 years.