Inside iOS 5: New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post

To be nitpicky on these things, those bigger notifications on the homescreen are pretty ugly with the glossy bubble...I wish they would unify some of their design choices.

Following their competitors design language isn't the greatest way to move forward. Apple need to come up with something that looks uniquely Apple... and at the moment bubbles is where it's at.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 63 of 73
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The competition doesn't need to do that for notifications or a good many other features.

There is no question many Google developers are signed up as iOS developers. And it's all legit. After all, Google writes apps for iOS! So to say "the competition" has not downloaded the beta version already would be naive (no offense). Don't forget, many Google employees are known to be iPhone users (including top execs).

Likewise, I seriously doubt that Apple developers has not signed up as Android developers.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 65 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Likewise, I seriously doubt that Apple developers has not signed up as Android developers.

They wouldn't need to. They could just take the source code for the OS from a random site online.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Can we PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE have improved calendar Event Alert options? At the moment, the OS only enables me to set a Event alert at 2 days prior to the date of the event.

At the moment, the Event alert options are as follows:

5 minutes before

15 minutes before

30 minutes before

1 hour before

2 hours before

1 day before

2 days before

On date of event

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE add two more options:

1 week before

2 weeks before

1 month before

2 months before

My reasoning is as follows:

Let's say TODAY (June 25th, 2011) I found out about a band playing at the Shoreline Theater in Palo Alto, CA. That band is playing on August 20th, 2012, so the concert is over a year away. I would really like to go to that concert, but life gets really busy, I have a lot on my plate, so it's realistic it could slip my mind. If I am able to set an event alert a couple of weeks before, or a couple of months before, I will be able to pre plan well in advance, gather friends, buy tickets, etc. with plenty of time to spare.

However, If I'm only reminded of that event two days before (as current Even alerts options are set), I may miss getting a ticket in time or I might plan something else on the same day, having completely forgotten about that date, because I had remembered it over a year earlier.

Come on Apple. This is an easy addition to an updated OS.

Respectfully,

John

Dear John,

Please bring it up to Apple not AppleInsider. AppleInsider doesn't work for Apple. Apple doesn't come here to check user's request or complaints.

Respectfully,

Just another dude
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Evidently.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They wouldn't need to. They could just take the source code for the OS from a random site online.

You're missing the point. It ain't about who copies whose features (separate discussion, and really only important for the lawyers), or as simple as having access to source code (although that may well be part of it). It's about knowing how the other ecosystem works. Any development team worth its salt (Apple, Google, ...) would have devices running iOS, Cydia/APT, Android, WebOS, BB and QNX all lined up in a special room, possibly different versions of each. Of course, there is not time to cherry-pick the best of each on a regular basis (and often you don't want to, or can't), but a well-funded OS team never develops with blinders on. Never.

It's no different than Windows and Mac OS. Microsoft developers have deep access to MacOS because they develop Office for it. Likewise, Apple develops iTunes for Windows. They know each other very well. As do Google and Apple. There's no doubt about that.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

He wants to be reminded of an event two years before it happens for cripes sake and was going on a long annoying tirade against the software maker for not allowing it.

Fine. I'm a jerk (but he's an idiot).

At the very least, he fails to understand the concept of "the reminder."

You know what would work great for his issue . . .

The Reminders app in iOS 5. Set the reminder on any day.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I can totally see the utility of a reminder two years early, and popping up every 5 minutes or however often. The reminder could say, for example, "instead of throwing epithets, it is possible to just ignore posts from others if you don't like what they have to say."

Just saying ...

Something you were apparently unable to do .... (as am I) .... just saying.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Along these lines, how about the option to type in the date and type in the reminder, like in iCal? Using your example, I would also have to scroll ahead to August 2012 or flip through all those days with the obnoxious thumb wheels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Can we PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE have improved calendar Event Alert options? At the moment, the OS only enables me to set a Event alert at 2 days prior to the date of the event.

At the moment, the Event alert options are as follows:

5 minutes before

15 minutes before

30 minutes before

1 hour before

2 hours before

1 day before

2 days before

On date of event

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE add two more options:

1 week before

2 weeks before

1 month before

2 months before

My reasoning is as follows:

Let's say TODAY (June 25th, 2011) I found out about a band playing at the Shoreline Theater in Palo Alto, CA. That band is playing on August 20th, 2012, so the concert is over a year away. I would really like to go to that concert, but life gets really busy, I have a lot on my plate, so it's realistic it could slip my mind. If I am able to set an event alert a couple of weeks before, or a couple of months before, I will be able to pre plan well in advance, gather friends, buy tickets, etc. with plenty of time to spare.

However, If I'm only reminded of that event two days before (as current Even alerts options are set), I may miss getting a ticket in time or I might plan something else on the same day, having completely forgotten about that date, because I had remembered it over a year earlier.

Come on Apple. This is an easy addition to an updated OS.

Respectfully,

John

• Reply 71 of 73
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

Along these lines, how about the option to type in the date and type in the reminder, like in iCal? Using your example, I would also have to scroll ahead to August 2012 or flip through all those days with the obnoxious thumb wheels.

All that and to ensure the same options are available in iCal. Dual event alarms aren't available currently....
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Something you were apparently unable to do .... (as am I) .... just saying.

But I didn't throw epithets (not here anyhow). And neither did you.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    dubstydubsty Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

In case Google steals Apple's notification drawer?

Google should do the same beacause, you know, Apple stole the multi-touch functionality from Androids after all... Oh, wait..