Apple supply chain points to "iPhone 4S" in Sept., iPad 3 prototype in early 2012

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

In other words... iPod sales did go down.

Yes but that's not what he was saying - he said that Touch sales were still strong and growing, and you haven't disproved that. All you've shown is that Apple is losing sales in Nanos and Classics faster than it gains sales in Touches.

Those sales figures don't provide conclusive evidence that Touch sales grew either of course.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Yes but that's not what he was saying - he said that Touch sales were still strong and growing, and you haven't disproved that. All you've shown is that Apple is losing sales in Nanos and Classics faster than it gains sales in Touches.

Those sales figures don't provide conclusive evidence that Touch sales grew either of course.

Look... I started all this by saying iPod sales are down... period. I didn't break it down by model... I didn't think I had to.

HE introduced another thing altogether... saying that a certain subset of iPods are increasing...

Well... that's absolutely true... the iPod Touch is increasing. Yippee.

My whole point... from my original comment to now... is that Apple is selling 18 million iPhones to 9 million iPods.

To review: Somebody asked why we don't talk about iPods anymore... and I told them why. Apple makes more money from the iPhone... and that's what they're focusing on these days.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Are people no longer talking about the iPod? If so, why?

Well, first of all, the iPod is still the subject of great interest whenever fall comes around. Speculations are ongoing about the next iPod Touch (http://bit.ly/miAJrE, http://bit.ly/k4vqSg, http://bit.ly/miAJrE), the iPod nano (http://www.appleinsider.com/search/ipod+nano/). Those speculations usually become rampant as September draws near. Remember the leaks about the nano last year? (http://bit.ly/kK4YBS, http://bit.ly/bgwJAl).

This year, the iPhone 5 ("4S"? LOL. I'll bet my boat it won't be called 4S) will likely hog the rumor mill, but that's natural, and not just because the iPhone sells more. Usually, the iPod Touch is a derivative version of the iPhone (no 3G, crappy camera, thinner, no GPS, ...). So we really look to the iPhone for new features. More importantly, it's easier and more interesting to discuss the iPhone because there is a whole plethora of competitive reference. Will it have LTE like the Thunderbolt (nah)? Will it have a curved glass like the Nexus S (nah)? Will it increase in camera resolution and catch up to many other models (likely)? A discussion is meatier when there is comparison to draw from.

Make no mistake, the iPT is very significant, both strategically and financially. Remember that their goal is to make the iPT the ultimate portable game console (I think it's already bestselling?). You can see this in their continued software development.

As for the nano and the shuffle, they are always interesting. For example, there are speculations about a camera being added back in the nano. But usually, these speculations swirl in the fall, until the truth is revealed. Thereafter, we get one or two rumors per month.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Are people no longer talking about the iPod? If so, why?

Well, first of all, the iPod is still the subject of great interest whenever fall comes around.

Very true. But people speculate about the next iPhone ALL year long There's no shortage of iPhone discussion at any given time.

Every month there is some new iPhone killer waiting in the wings... but there's not much competition in the MP3 player market anymore.

There was that Cowon C2 article on Engadget yesterday... that was actually kinda refreshing
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Me, reading this:

Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to this thread. Because Internet petitions are worth less than the code used to create them.

Funniest post ever!!!

I almost had Diet Mountain Dew come right out of my nose!! (which hurts badly, BTW)
  • Reply 26 of 32
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Every month there is some new iPhone killer waiting in the wings... but there's not much competition in the MP3 player market anymore.

Exactly my point. Where the competition is dry, so too is the discussion. But I did show where there is ongoing chatter about the nano even now and a few months ago.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

To review: Somebody asked why we don't talk about iPods anymore... and I told them why. Apple makes more money from the iPhone... and that's what they're focusing on these days.

Fair nuff. I think iPods still matter though, both in markets where iPhones don't yet have good carrier support and for kids who may not need a fully fledged smartphone. iPods are a big part of the reason that iOS is double the size of Android as a platform.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Not true. There's plenty of competition in the MP3 player market, however those competitors seem to be battling over 10% of the marketshare.

iPod competitors resolutely trounce Apple's players in terms of pricing, but amusingly it appears that bargain MP3 players have almost no appeal. You can get a non-Apple 4GB MP3 player for half the price of Apple's 2GB iPod shuffle.

And remember, Apple did not invent this product category. There have been plenty of opportunities for other companies to take away marketshare whether it be on the music sales side (Amazon.com or Walmart) or the hardware side (e.g., Zune) and by in large, they have all failed miserably. Cost competition didn't even work. Apple's digital music competitors must be bashing their heads against the wall, "What do we need to do to beat Apple?!? We made it cheaper and they didn't come. We made it nice and they didn't come."

There has never been a credible competitor to the iPod touch apart from maybe the Zune HD (which never had an app store).

If tablet manufacturers don't step up their game, Apple will run away with this market.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Fair nuff. I think iPods still matter though, both in markets where iPhones don't yet have good carrier support and for kids who may not need a fully fledged smartphone. iPods are a big part of the reason that iOS is double the size of Android as a platform.

Well... don't forget that Apple sold 9 million iPods last quarter... and many of them were iPod Touches.

I'm not saying the iPod Touch market is completely dead at all.

But there is that little matter of Apple selling 18 million iPhones for the average price of $650 each

They gotta strike while the iron is hot...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not true. There's plenty of competition in the MP3 player market, however those competitors seem to be battling over 10% of the marketshare.

iPod competitors resolutely trounce Apple's players in terms of pricing, but amusingly it appears that bargain MP3 players have almost no appeal. You can get a non-Apple 4GB MP3 player for half the price of Apple's 2GB iPod shuffle.

And remember, Apple did not invent this product category. There have been plenty of opportunities for other companies to take away marketshare whether it be on the music sales side (Amazon.com or Walmart) or the hardware side (e.g., Zune) and by in large, they have all failed miserably. Cost competition didn't even work. Apple's digital music competitors must be bashing their heads against the wall, "What do we need to do to beat Apple?!? We made it cheaper and they didn't come. We made it nice and they didn't come."

There has never been a credible competitor to the iPod touch apart from maybe the Zune HD (which never had an app store).

If tablet manufacturers don't step up their game, Apple will run away with this market.

Yep... good analysis..
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no need for a new "low cost" or "mid range" iPhone that breaks the iPhone form factor... the "mid range" iPhone already been addressed by the 3GS.

Yeah, you can get a 3GS for $50, or a refurbished one for a mere $20. But that price still isn't low enough to entice me. On the other hand, I'd spring $200 for an iPhone 4 if... IF IF IF...if I didn't have to cough up a minimum of $75 every month for service. $900 a year is a boat load of money as far as I'm concerned.

When the iPhone becomes available via a variety of carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Tracfone, Verizon, & Metro PCS) is when I will likely switch.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Kinda sad that we'll probably never see another iPod Classic refresh, especially as we're still years away from a Touch having the same kind of storage.

I think you can absolutely forget about a large capacity iPod for quite a while. Apple is doing their best to push everything online, for example iCloud. My guess is that the idea is that you may have 100GB of music, but if you can sync 20+ GB of that to your device you'll just have to suffer with that 300 hours of music until you decide to sync a different group of songs.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Yeah, you can get a 3GS for $50, or a refurbished one for a mere $20. But that price still isn't low enough to entice me. On the other hand, I'd spring $200 for an iPhone 4 if... IF IF IF...if I didn't have to cough up a minimum of $75 every month for service. $900 a year is a boat load of money as far as I'm concerned.

When the iPhone becomes available via a variety of carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Tracfone, Verizon, & Metro PCS) is when I will likely switch.

Don't count on that happening. If iPhone moves to "any" carrier, you can rest assured you'll have to pay for the pleasure somehow.