Google gave original Mac designer free rein on new Google+ UI

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdhayes117 View Post

I believe there's a distinct difference. They are sharing the info for one of 2 reasons enumerated: 1) So that ATT or Verizon can provide you service, 2) so that Apple can improve its own products, services and advertising...NOT for third party marketing.

Conversely, the reason google exists is to share information (again, directly with your permission or otherwise in aggregate) for third party marketing.

Apple gathers and shares your information to make their products better. For goggle, your information IS their product.

. . . nor does Google give your information to 3rd party marketers. Read their privacy policy.

And note that Apple is not saying the given examples are the only ways your private information is shared.

The difference that stands out to me between the two? Google specifies you must opt-in if your personal info is to be shared with any 3rd party. Apple does not. That doesn't necessarily mean there's a practical difference between how the two actually use your personal data, but Google is much more specific with their policy and leaves less wiggle-room open to interpretation.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . nor does Google give your information to 3rd party marketers. Read their privacy policy.

And note that Apple is not saying the given examples are the only ways your private information is shared.

The difference that stands out to me between the two? Google specifies you must opt-in if your personal info is to be shared with any 3rd party. Apple does not. That doesn't necessarily mean there's a practical difference between how the two actually use your personal data, but Google is much more specific with their policy and leaves less wiggle-room open to interpretation.

Potato vs potahtoe. To me, it's all about data collection. The fact remains that Apple's business is hardware, not information, and they want to sell me computers so they can separate me from my hard earned coin. google's business is information and instead of my coin, they want my bona fides so they can sell advertising...directly, indirectly, upside down or backwards. The more complete my information portfolio, the more valuable to them, hence all the "free" tools.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdhayes117 View Post

Potato vs potahtoe. To me, it's all about data collection. The fact remains that Apple's business is hardware, not information, and they want to sell me computers so they can separate me from my hard earned coin. google's business is information and instead of my coin, they want my bona fides so they can sell advertising...directly, indirectly, upside down or backwards. The more complete my information portfolio, the more valuable to them, hence all the "free" tools.

Any Social networking platform will HAVE to be based off of the "ad" model unless they makes one so amazing that people would pay a ton of money for (read: It won't happen because people are cheap) This is why Apple won't move into this field, or if they do, it will be with a renewed push with iAds (aka, selling your information)
  • Reply 44 of 45
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

I'm liking what I see so far.

But the chances of it getting my wife away from Facebook? Slim.

It's one of those catch-22 things.

Even if it is better you aren't going to move unless your friends do.

Plus do folks really want to manage all these circles? What if you post something to the wrong circle? It's the reply to all fiasco all over again.

With Facebook you know everyone is watching so always have that "filter" on.

And what if you see a photo in one circle and want to tag it for a friend in another circle? How does that work?

Facebook integration would be an easy way to shift people, just like how you can post from twitter to facebook status. May not really be taking people away from Facebook but certainly you could grow your membership easily enough if you have some cool features they can take advantage of.

Also, if people are already gmail users & it is rolled out as just another aspect of google apps it would be almost mindless for most people.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    After using it for 4 hours I think there are three stand out features that (for the moment) blow facebook away in terms of usability:

1: Sharing is intuitive. While you can do selective sharing in Facebook, it is really complicated. Whenever you write a post, it will have the "circles" (groups) you're sharing it with will be a big blue "tag" below your post. Don't want to share it with them? Click the X (like tagging in a blog). If you want to add a circle or a name, you can either search for it, or just do +Name. This is better (imo) than facebook that trys auto completing everything.

2. Hangout/Huddle. The system seems to use normal Google talk (or something that works with google talk) for individual chat, but the really outstanding messaging features is the mobile Huddle (think Groupchat) because it's cross platform and adding people is done exactly like sharing updates. And then Hangout is just an amazing. One neat feature is that whoever was talking would automatically be given the largest screen (but you can lock this to a specific person if you want). Also, the sharing youtube video feature was kinda neat, though in the end we just started rick rolling eachother.

3. The Simplicity. When facebook first came out, one of the reasons a lot of people gravitated to it is that it was simple. There were no sparking backgrounds, animated gifs, etc. like you found on myspace, just your friends talking about their day and sharing links with eachother. (after the added the "wall" feature anyway) but as Facebook became more popular it also became bloated. This website is simple, and it's well designed. There is a lot of visual "flare" that doesn't add functionality (per se) but it does make the site a lot nicer to look at.

Google+ won't be for everyone, but I don't think this will be another Buzz/Orkut either.