Review roundup: HP TouchPad billed as 'mediocre tablet'

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

If you read my posting you'll see I'm going off Google's android app market figures and what we know of the total numbers of Android activations. We know that there are 3 million android devices with 'large' screens. We know that there are about 700k with x-large screens and coincidentally about the same number running honeycomb.

These are all activated devices talking to the App market, nothing just sitting in channel here.

So exactly what models do you think sold the other 2.5 million 'large' devices if the G-tab only sold 500k?

Excellent explanation. Well done
  • Reply 102 of 111
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

If you read my posting you'll see I'm going off Google's android app market figures and what we know of the total numbers of Android activations. We know that there are 3 million android devices with 'large' screens. We know that there are about 700k with x-large screens and coincidentally about the same number running honeycomb. T

These are all activated devices talking to the App market, nothing just sitting in channel here.

So exactly what models do you think sold the other 2.5 million 'large' devices if the G-tab only sold 500k?

Could it be that the numbers you extrapolated from the chart are wrong?
  • Reply 103 of 111
    apophisapophis Posts: 36member
    Yes it is, because it looks like a clone of OSX. Even the menu bar looks just like OSX. Jon Rubenstein needs to Think Different.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Could it be that the numbers you extrapolated from the chart are wrong?

The numbers are right, - it's pretty easy to multiply a percentage by a total - but it's entirely possible there is some other significant large screen medium density device that is taking up that 3million device slot. Or possibly for some reason there's a significantly greater use of the app market by owners of tablets than regular smartphones - which seems unlikely given how bad the app market is for tablets.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I'm not going off Samsung's dodgy shipment numbers, I'm going off the Android app market's data.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...d/screens.html

3% of devices have large screens, meaning 7inch, thats around 3.5mil - the largest part would seem likely to be the galaxy tab, at least I can't think of another 7inch that actually made it into the wild in any numbers yet.

Some strange folk seem to actually want a 7inch - lord knows why, also since it runs Froyo it actually has some apps.

It isn't strange at all a sub 7" device serves significantly different needs. If Apple came out with an iPod/iPad with dimensions between 5&7" they would sell like hotcakes. No devices this size can't do what the iPad does, they don't have to. Rather they would be a highly portable Touch device with a screen bigger than iPod Touches but compact.

Quote:

The galaxy 10.1 is almost certainly a better device, but it's far harder to justify in the face of an iPad-2.

My problem with Android is that it is a product of the rip off culture. To effectively put an end to this culture I'd like to see it die off. This is why I'm hot about webOS and HPs new tablet, if nothing else it is unique.

By the way all the fools out there complaining about the unfinished nature of webOS ought to talk to an early iPhone owner. Back then iOS was a buggy mess.
  • Reply 106 of 111
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

The numbers are right, - it's pretty easy to multiply a percentage by a total - but it's entirely possible there is some other significant large screen medium density device that is taking up that 3million device slot. Or possibly for some reason there's a significantly greater use of the app market by owners of tablets than regular smartphones - which seems unlikely given how bad the app market is for tablets.

without knowing the actual total of unduplicated devices that accessed the Android market that single week, you can't assume it is 2.8% of all Android devices, grand total, ever sold/activated. some fraction are no longer in use. another fraction did not happen to access the market that week. but even more, tablets most likely access the market at a significantly higher rate than smartphones (all the Galaxy tab and other 7" tabs can use are smartphone Android 2.x apps anyway! not Honeycomb apps). that's the problem with straight line extrapolations - it ain't that simple.

so let's chop 2.8% of 100 million in half on account of all of the above factors combined. then you're down to 1.4. million, including Acer, Archos, Dell, ViewSonic and any other OEM's 7" tablets in use. leaving Samsung less than a million at most. and how many of those Galaxy tabs were only sold after being dumped into the discount bins of Korea/Asia?

face it, the 7" Galaxy tab was a huge flop. like i said, if Samsung had good US/Europe sales figures, they would have announced them. their silence speaks loudly. deafeningly.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Really? Not having apps available has shown to be the death of every tablet so far. I would think it to be stupid to NOT have apps, and lots of quality ones, at launch.

Maybe. But personally I'd love a great cheap tablet with no apps at all, just a great browsing experience.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

The problem isn't necessarily webOS but that HP bought it. Since when did HP know how to optimize software, their software & drivers are horrible crap.

It wasn't great under Palm sometimes.

WebOS is great overall, but there are little hesitations at times, doesn't even matter much if I nearly double my Pre Plus' CPU to 1 GHz; sometimes the OS just doesn't seem like it's responding to input.

Example, sometimes in the phone app, it won't appear to be responding to the input of numbers, and it suddenly displays all the numbers you've pressed, basically like your typing too fast or something.

It's annoying, it can ruin the rest of the experience at times. This happened under WebOS 1.4.x, and now 2.1, and HP has owned Palm for a little over a year now. I was curious about the TP (still have yet to demo one), but it sounds like the current crop of WebOS phones ATM (OS glitches and lack of apps, although the later isn't a dealbreaker).

I actually think WebOS would be a better experience on a tablet, but not in its current state.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

The Blackberry Playbook also can access and download apps from the Android Market. That might be part of the number (albeit a small small part)
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Somebody has to explain to me the fascination with a rear-facing camera on a tablet. Is anybody really going to carry around this dinner plate to snap photos?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Lately i have been using the rear camera on my ipad to scan documents. There are uses other than taking personal photo's for a rear camera.

Personal photos are a good use as well, I brought my iPad on a trip with me, didn't want to drag along my Olympus SLR, used my iPad to take pix and videos of us driving over the Golden Gate bridge and through SF, down gorgeous Hwy. 1. The photos were okay, but the video was great and fun. (and my Olympus doesn't do video) It is convenient to have a camera (and one that is so much better than my LG cell phone camera, talk about crap) I waited for the iPad2 for the camera and it is useful for many things including having the front one for video chat rear for video and quick snaps. I love my iPad, on the road I could check my email, surf the web, look up restaurants, wineries, maps, read books, and take video all with a device that could slip into my purse. (Love my MacBookPro too, but the iPad is so great for travel)
  • Reply 111 of 111
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Here we are at version 3 of WebOS, on its fastest hardware yet, and it's still slow, buggy, and power hungry.

The UI is pretty, as usual, but it's still a mess under the surface.

WebOS was a hail mary attempt from Palm; after years of trying to develop the next generation Palm OS they whipped together "WebOS" from a Linux kernel and WebKit in only a matter of months, and it appears there are serious architectural problems as a result. I'll be surprised if there are any WebOS devices in the market in a few years. Its flaws are just too deep.

This debate is quite funny.

Remember the Mac, before OS X? Pretty on the surface, a lot of real usability gains, but the underlying OS was crude and primitive (no memory protection, no pre-emptive scheduling). And the Wintel world had a massive lead in number of software titles. At least back in the day the Mac had sufficiently large usability gains to be worth the other inconveniences, and it pushed the competition to get that part of their game better. iPad has significant usability glitches though nothing near as bad as early versions of Windows and UNIX. But it's fun seeing how the roles are reversed and the people who argued the issue one way are taking the opposite side now.