Suppliers indicate Apple will ship as many as 14M iPads next quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and I think that Apple will bring the iPad to the next level with v.3... while the others are still struggling to get to the first level.

v. 2 was basically a refinement of v.1 but v.3 will again show Apple's innovation abilities...

... even without meaningful competition in that space.

imho, of course...

Yeh, I'm expecting a significant resolution bump in the iPad-3, maybe even all the way to retina, though that might put unreasonable demands on the GPU, so maybe not.

Other than that it's hard to see what the device needs, it's amazingly mature for something so new.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    IBM is offering staff discounts on buying Macs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06...taff_get_macs/

This must be an iPad halo effect surely?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

IBM is offering staff discounts on buying Macs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06...taff_get_macs/

This must be an iPad halo effect surely?

You gonna believe anything this guy has to say about business and technology?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You gonna believe anything this guy has to say about business and technology?

He has honest eyes, and that is clearly an authentic moustache.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Yeh, I'm expecting a significant resolution bump in the iPad-3, maybe even all the way to retina, though that might put unreasonable demands on the GPU, so maybe not.

Other than that it's hard to see what the device needs, it's amazingly mature for something so new.

Hardware-wise the iPad is near perfect. I think there's a lot of things Apple could do to improve the iPad software though.

I want to see better functionality in the iPad OS or more separation of it from the iPhone version of iOS. With iOS 5 there are already some things separating the two iOSs but I'd like to see more OS X functionality available in the iPad like Mission Control for multitasking and Dashboard for widgets.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Hardware-wise the iPad is near perfect. I think there's a lot of things Apple could do to improve the iPad software though.

I want to see better functionality in the iPad OS or more separation of it from the iPhone version of iOS. With iOS 5 there are already some things separating the two iOSs but I'd like to see more OS X functionality available in the iPad like Mission Control for multitasking and Dashboard for widgets.

I'm very unconvinced that those are good features to stick on a portable device where battery life is an issue. Other than playing music while doing other stuff it's hard to see a big need for pre-emptive multi-tasking as opposed to fast app switching and push notifications.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

I'm very unconvinced that those are good features to stick on a portable device where battery life is an issue. Other than playing music while doing other stuff it's hard to see a big need for pre-emptive multi-tasking as opposed to fast app switching and push notifications.

The current App Switcher looks really cheesy on the iPad's large screen. The iPad could use something more substantial for App Switching. Apple didn't put widgets in the iPad's Notification Center so maybe we'll see a Dashboard for iPad in the future.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    nice try

another windoze centric troll opinion, i.e. its "too simple" concealed as "more substantial" geeks don't like easy to use simple software because they have nothing to fill the long periods of time they spend alone without a gal to keep em company, so they need complicated bloated command line like interface to give em a sense of purpose in their puny lives, oh and IOS5 will have simple swipe to navigate between apps, and its already in beta

lol

Quote:

The current App Switcher looks really cheesy on the iPad's large screen. The iPad could use something more substantial for App Switching. Apple didn't put widgets in the iPad's Notification Center so maybe we'll see a Dashboard for iPad in the future.

• Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

nice try

another windoze centric troll opinion, i.e. its "too simple" concealed as "more substantial" geeks don't like easy to use simple software because they have nothing to fill the long periods of time they spend alone without a gal to keep em company, so they need complicated bloated command line like interface to give em a sense of purpose in their puny lives, oh and IOS5 will have simple swipe to navigate between apps, and its already in beta

lol

The new swipe feature is nice but you still can't see all the apps and documents that you're working on at once, like you can with Mission Control. I don't expect a "Windows" like experience at all. I'm suggesting they add an OS X feature to increase the functionality of the iPad. Is that a bad thing? At least I'm not asking for a Finder-esque file system like some here want for the iPad...
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

The new swipe feature is nice but you still can't see all the apps and documents that you're working on at once, like you can with Mission Control. I don't expect a "Windows" like experience at all. I'm suggesting they add an OS X feature to increase the functionality of the iPad. Is that a bad thing? At least I'm not asking for a Finder-esque file system like some here want for the iPad...

I don't think your request is unreasonable but I do wonder how important it is when I consider over features people want and the standard user base.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

I don't think your request is unreasonable but I do wonder how important it is when I consider over features people want and the standard user base.

Yeah there probably are other more important features Apple could add. The multitasking and Dashboard are features I'd personally like to see. Only other feature I could imagine the standard user base wanting would be Flash Support but I can't see the demand for that being that high.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

Yeah there probably are other more important features Apple could add. The multitasking and Dashboard are features I'd personally like to see. Only other feature I could imagine the standard user base wanting would be Flash Support but I can't see the demand for that being that high.

Note that Lion's Mission Control shows the windows and desktops (and fullscreen apps as a desktop) but they've removed, by default, the little indicator lightl below an app in the Dock showing you which apps are open and which are closed. They've also added (and emphasized a lot at WWDC 2011 sessions) many features for creating a saved state for apps. They want you move from app to app without thinking whether it was previously running in RAM or not.

This will be easier to grasp for Switchers coming right to Lion but old-school and power users will likely have trouble adapting. Not a big deal to Apple as we will die out. At least you can add the indicator light back and reverse the scrolling in System Preferences, but that is the future of Mac OS.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

This will be easier to grasp for Switchers coming right to Lion but old-school and power users will likely have trouble adapting. Not a big deal to Apple as we will die out. At least you can add the indicator light back and reverse the scrolling in System Preferences, but that is the future of Mac OS.

Presumably once we see SSD storage the time for an App to re-instantiate will drop so low that we won't even be able to tell which Apps are and aren't running in most cases. The only time it should really matter is if the app is using significant CPU even when there's no user interaction.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Note that Lion's Mission Control shows the windows and desktops (and fullscreen apps as a desktop) but they've removed, by default, the little indicator lightl below an app in the Dock showing you which apps are open and which are closed. They've also added (and emphasized a lot at WWDC 2011 sessions) many features for creating a saved state for apps. They want you move from app to app without thinking whether it was previously running in RAM or not.

That whole system seems very iOS like, to me. It'd be perfect on the iPad

But personally I don't think I'd like it on my MacBook I'll probably switch to the old settings.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Presumably once we see SSD storage the time for an App to re-instantiate will drop so low that we won't even be able to tell which Apps are and aren't running in most cases. The only time it should really matter is if the app is using significant CPU even when there's no user interaction.

I think that is the where the puck will be. For example, with my Intel X25 G2 MLC SSD iTunes, Mail and Safari open in 1 bounce, Garageband in 2 bounces, and Xcode in 4 bounces. That SSD isn't that slow but there have been a whole slew of new SSD controllers that are faster, not to mention SATA III, which my machine doesn't have, and SSD card to OS optimization like in the MBAs.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

That whole system seems very iOS like, to me. It'd be perfect on the iPad

But personally I don't think I'd like it on my MacBook I'll probably switch to the old settings.

I'd at least give the new scrolling direction a go. Give it 3 days. I hated it at first but then I realized that the new way offers advantages. Instead of focusing on the mouse pointer for two finger scrolling I now focus on the windowed content.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but sales of the iPad 1 topped out somewhere between 7-9 million units, sold in the first year between 9-12 months of shipping. But basically when they reached the 9 month mark they sold roughly 7 million iPad1's.

If this article is to be believed then about 1.5 years after the iPad first shipped Apple is about to increase production and sales 6 fold. How long could this ramp last? Is it even remotely possible that Apple could increase it another 6x in the next 1.5 years? =)

Regardless, very impressive. I'll be happy as anyone if this proves true.