Nortel announces Apple, Microsoft, RIM group bid wins patent auction for $4.5B

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

A couple of guys made a stupid call about a phone and that is supposed to relate to a new social platform? No analogy is perfect, but it has to be relevant.

The iPhone was a vastly superior product released against an entrenched competitor. G+ is a vastly inferior product released against an entrenched competitor.

I can see how the tight integration with Google products and services will help G+. I can see it sticking around as the default communications/media sharing platform for Android. I can't see it killing off Facebook though.

A better analogy would be the the TouchPad. It's also an inferior product launching against an entrenched compeditor with a solid ecosystem... However I can see how the tight integration with the Pre would make it an attractive purchase for some people.

... and you're a guy making a stupid call about Google +. Analogy complete. You're welcome.

... and who said that Google + is as inferior to Facebook as Touchpad is to iPad2? You? Oh boy!

[ you're also the guy who said that Apple needs Facebook. Nuff said. ]
  • Reply 42 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

That's going too far the other way. Just as G+ can't be dismissed as irrelevant, it also can't be seen as the "Facebook killer".

I can see G+ being the social glue that pulls Google's services together, but I can't see it replacing Facebook.

It is major rubbish at the moment. The major design flaw it has is pushing all commented upon main posts to the top of my timeline when someone comments. So pictures keep appearing on top, as people go "nice picture dude". Thats a huge bloody issue. Google dod nothing UI wise for me. I dont even like gmail.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It is major rubbish at the moment. The major design flaw it has is pushing all commented upon main posts to the top of my timeline when someone comments. So pictures keep appearing on top, as people go "nice picture dude". Thats a huge bloody issue. Google dod nothing UI wise for me. I dont even like gmail.

*inserts fingers in ears* la-la-la I can't hear you!!!

Please only nice things about google+, it fills a deep need in me for somebody to destroy the evil abomination that is facebook. The same irrational and angry part of me that yearned for MS to die back in the 90s wants facebook to die now.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

The second is that it's soooooo pervasive. If you're using a Google, you're on G+. You don't need to go to the G+ site... it's just always there.

You're saying this like it's a good thing! Aaaaarghhhhhhh!

We've already run out of orifices for google to crawl into. No more, please. Sure, g+ may provide some theoretical external privacy features that are better than facebook, but for chrissakes, google is gathering, sorting, analyzing and taking advantage of all your personal data and ramblings, what you do, where you go, who you know and socialize with, and they are everywhere. They are ramming their fingers deeper and deeper into your brains (picture the Borg), and people sound like Beavis and Butthead: uh, heh heh, cool dudes, look at this neat new feature...

Quote:

My predictions:
    • The Google toolbar will be added to YouTube by the end of the year.

• G+ will be baked in Ice Cream Sandwich. End to end and everything in between.

• G+ will be baked into ChromeOS and the Chrome browser. Not sure when this will happen. Probably within a year.

Please no. No more deep integration of this crap. Especially not with google.

Don't ever forget, with google YOU are the PRODUCT, not the customer.

• Reply 45 of 49
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

We've already run out of orifices for google to crawl into.

Yes ok accepted but at least unlike facebook they use lube.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and you're a guy making a stupid call about Google +. Analogy complete. You're welcome.

Do you literally have nothing to offer? I feel like I'm trying to debate a kid whose only rebuttal is to scrunch their face up and say "nah nah nah nah nah".

You're a waste of space on my forum page. I'm blocking you. Please do the same with me.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

You're saying this like it's a good thing! Aaaaarghhhhhhh!

It's good for G+. Whether or not what is good for G+ is also good for the user kind of depends on the user I suppose

Quote:

Please no. No more deep integration of this crap. Especially not with Google.

It's coming, I'm sure of it

So far you can avoid it by simply not signing up. They haven't tied any features external to G+ with having a G+ account.

That raises an interesting point. I can't remember if other services built into Gmail (i.e. GChat/Buzz) required an opt-in or and opt-out. It will be interesting to see what happens with G+.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Do you literally have nothing to offer? I feel like I'm trying to debate a kid whose only rebuttal is to scrunch their face up and say "nah nah nah nah nah".

You're a waste of space on my forum page. I'm blocking you. Please do the same with me.

Deal!
  • Reply 49 of 49
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

It's good for G+. Whether or not what is good for G+ is also good for the user kind of depends on the user I suppose

Heh. Good point. The big thing is to remember that G is not doing this for anyone else's satisfaction or well-being. They're doing it to milk your personal profile. Just because they do it behind the scenes (unlike facebook, who does it publicly AND behind the scenes) doesn't mean your data isn't being gathered, sorted, analyzed and used to sell you stuff. Both directly and indirectly.

Quote:

Please no. No more deep integration of this crap. Especially not with google.

Quote:

It's coming, I'm sure of it

So far you can avoid it by simply not signing up. They haven't tied any features external to G+ with having a G+ account.

That raises an interesting point. I can't remember if other services built into Gmail (i.e. GChat/Buzz) required an opt-in or and opt-out. It will be interesting to see what happens with G+.

The problem with google, in particular, is that they are deeply integrated into so much of the online world that it's difficult to totally opt-out, even if you don't explicitly use any of their services.

Even if you don't use google to search, adsense is everywhere, so just cruising the net gives them a very good trail of sites you visit. Google's analytics are also on a gazillion sites, so even if you don't see adsense in your face, there's a good chance google is "following you".

What happens when your friends who use gmail send you an email wishing you a happy birthday, and "hope your hangover isn't that bad". Yup, that's attached to you and your email now as well. Google knows your birth date and that you party hard.

If you use an android phone, they can even physically follow your whereabouts in real time.

Google may be mostly good guys at the moment (although I'm not even totally convinced of that anymore), but that is WAAAAAY too much information to be in the hands of a single organization, especially one that exists to sell you stuff. Their attitude toward how that data is used can change at any moment, and what then?