Apple shrouds Fifth Ave glass cube inside another cube as renovations begin

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    They are replacing the entrances to all major Apple stores with travel portals so that Steve can visit his empire more quickly...
  • Reply 22 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hasn't Apple pioneered the ability to get large pieces of curved glass made? What if the new structure is literally a giant glass Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 41
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

My prediction - they are removing the cube and replace it with a cylinder structure like they did in the Shanghai store. Makes sense. Their future headquarters is circular, Mr. Jobs seems to like curves and anti-angles, Shanghai is a jewel of design. Would not surprise me that's what they're going to do.

He does seem to like curves in some instances. But look at recent products - the iMac, the iPhones, the iPod Touches, Apple TV, Time Capsule ... They are all variations of rounded rectangular slabs. This is because he is a minimalist. A rectangular block is really the most efficient shape when it comes to design of objects where aerodynamics is not important.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hasn't Apple pioneered the ability to get large pieces of curved glass made? What if the new structure is literally a giant glass Apple?

Google would then have to close its doors...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

He does seem to like curves in some instances. But look at recent products - the iMac, the iPhones, the iPod Touches, Apple TV, Time Capsule ... They are all variations of rounded rectangular slabs. This is because he is a minimalist. A rectangular block is really the most efficient shape when it comes to design of objects where aerodynamics is not important.

Apple has said they are 'fixing the cube' too, not replacing it.

For that reason though and because of what you said and because of the perfect curved glass they are into lately ... I predict the same cube but with curved (rounded) corners.

You heard it here first.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Can someone who lives in NY enlighten me: What was wrong with the old cube? Was it falling apart?

Nothing. According to my sources the city wants to do some construction work on the pavement in the area and Apple doesn't want to risk the glass cube being broken so they are removing it during that time for safety and a full cleaning. Then they are going to put it back.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Corners are weak points and are liable to get chipped, they also scratch other things. The old iPod first and second gen had an edge so sharp you could practically cut with it, and it was kinda nice - but it got chipped very easily.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Won't people be surprised and amazed by the unveiling of the giant glass swastika!
  • Reply 29 of 41
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    A cube within a cube... Tesseraception!

Steve: "We need to go deeper..."
  • Reply 30 of 41
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs personally designed and even paid for the hollow glass structure that serves as the store's entrance.

From the wording, it sounds like Steve paid for the cube with his own money!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    And what photos were you expecting to see? Steve Jobs dancing a jig for your entertainment?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Thanks for the pathetic photos.

• Reply 32 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And what photos were you expecting to see? Steve Jobs dancing a jig for your entertainment?

• Reply 33 of 41
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    I will never be able to watch a keynote the same way again.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoever made this has too much time on his hands. Wonder if he is even gainfully employed.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs personally designed and even paid for the hollow glass structure that serves as the store's entrance.

To say Jobs personally designed the cube might be an exaggeration. I have no doubt he conceptualized or even sketched the shape. But there's a hell of a lot of details and steps such as CAD, simulation and testing that go into structural design. As much as Jobs is amazing as a visionary, let's not forget he is not an engineer or architect. Likely, he designed the cube as much as many homeowners like to say they designed their own home or renovation.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nothing. According to my sources the city wants to do some construction work on the pavement in the area and Apple doesn't want to risk the glass cube being broken so they are removing it during that time for safety and a full cleaning. Then they are going to put it back.

That doesn't sound correct to me. The city has nothing to do with the pavement in the plaza, which is part of the GM building and is privately held. Furthermore, the city is not responsible for the sidewalks adjoining buildings - the building's owners are (unless the city itself is digging them up for infrastructure issues.)

And if the sidewalk pavement needs to be dug up for any reason, that's far enough away from the cube that it shouldn't cause any problems, even if they're using jack hammers. There's already enough vibration from traffic and a nearby subway that all this must have been taken into consideration when the cube was first built.

Another poster suggested that there are drainage problems on the plaza and in order to fix this, the cube must be removed. But I find that doubtful as well. If that was the case, it would seem to me that worst case, they would only have to temporarily remove the bottom level of glass and I doubt even that. If there's seepage in the plaza, they would dig up the concrete in the plaza. What does that have to do with the cube, except perhaps at the edges?

Others have suggested that the cube is too difficult to clean, but the outside can be easily cleaned with a scissor lift (and assuming that acid rain hasn't damaged the glass' surface). It's cleaning the inside that I would think is more difficult.

I would find it hard to believe that Apple is changing the cube to a round (or other) shape because the Board apparently forced Steve to pay for the cube himself. If that was the case, why would they now be willing to fund a new one just to change the aesthetics?

Because the store gets so much traffic and there's only one the one entrance and staircase, I'm wondering whether the buildings department or fire department has determined that the entrance/exit isn't enough, even if they apparently approved them when the store was first opened. There's always someone at the door who controls how many people can enter - not so much because the floor of the store is reaching capacity, but to limit the number of the people walking on the staircase at any one time, to prevent people from getting pushed down by anxious crowds.

In any event, time will tell...
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Whoever made this has too much time on his hands. Wonder if he is even gainfully employed.

It's an iTunes visualizer! Dance to your music!

Personal aside: Dear mother of...
  • Reply 38 of 41
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

That doesn't sound correct to me. The city has nothing to do with the pavement in the plaza, which is part of the GM building and is privately held. Furthermore, the city is not responsible for the sidewalks adjoining buildings - the building's owners are (unless the city itself is digging them up for infrastructure issues.)

And if the sidewalk pavement needs to be dug up for any reason, that's far enough away from the cube that it shouldn't cause any problems, even if they're using jack hammers. There's already enough vibration from traffic and a nearby subway that all this must have been taken into consideration when the cube was first built.

Another poster suggested that there are drainage problems on the plaza and in order to fix this, the cube must be removed. But I find that doubtful as well. If that was the case, it would seem to me that worst case, they would only have to temporarily remove the bottom level of glass and I doubt even that. If there's seepage in the plaza, they would dig up the concrete in the plaza. What does that have to do with the cube, except perhaps at the edges?

I found this:
    ifoAppleStore reports that permits issued by New York?s Department of Buildings shows that Apple will spend $6,661,050 to install sophisticated connection hardware, upgrade the plaza structure surrounding the cube and then reinstall the it once it has been completed. Building permits issued on June 13th state the work will also include removing protective bollards, installing new pavers around the cube?s perimeter, and removing and reinstalling surrounding water drains. According to the permits, the work could be finished by early November.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I found this:
    ifoAppleStore reports that permits issued by New York’s Department of Buildings shows that Apple will spend $6,661,050 to install sophisticated connection hardware, upgrade the plaza structure surrounding the cube and then reinstall the it once it has been completed. Building permits issued on June 13th state the work will also include removing protective bollards, installing new pavers around the cube’s perimeter, and removing and reinstalling surrounding water drains. According to the permits, the work could be finished by early November.

$6.66 million? It's the favorite Apple Store of the Anti-Christ.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

$6.66 million? It's the favorite Apple Store of the Anti-Christ.

Don't read too much into it.