Chinese manufacturers reportedly using Apple-rejected displays for iPad clones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's a fine line and perhaps I'll get flamed for it. In the context of this subject, I think the end-consumer is as much to blame for basing their purchases based on price alone and not factor in things like usability, quality, durability, service, etc..

I think that kind of mentality has really screwed up a lot of things.

A documentary called Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags detailed what consumer thinking like that did to the New York garment industry.

Like you, I don't mind paying extra for quality, but I don't want to pay $150 for X, when I can get the exact same as X for $100.

I prefer to look at the long term cost of an item. My 2007 iMac is still going strong, while my Gateway laptop purchased a few months earlier became annoying to work with years ago.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

A documentary called Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags detailed what consumer thinking like that did to the New York garment industry.

Like you, I don't mind paying extra for quality, but I don't want to pay $150 for X, when I can get the exact same as X for $100.

I prefer to look at the long term cost of an item. My 2007 iMac is still going strong, while my Gateway laptop purchased a few months earlier became annoying to work with years ago.

my sons 2006 IMAC s still rocking.

You bought a gateway ??

whats a gateway ??

• Reply 23 of 30
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 24 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I have a 1999 iMac which still works just fine. I never use it, because I have many more machines which are newer and far more powerful, but it does look pretty on top of a desk.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Did the hardware change, or the software?

My HPs and Dells continue to work great - because I threw Windows away and installed Ubuntu.

The software. When I used Windows I'd reinstall everything every year to keep performance up. I never did that on this one and it slowed down over the years. Once my children started using our Macs, they don't want to use this, they noticed a difference in performance. :-) The only time this would be used vs a Mac is instead of the G4 Mac Mini. It's brutally slow running Flash sites.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

You bought a gateway ??

whats a gateway ??

Yeah I bought one. Back in 2006 I was still a hardcore windows user, although I bought a Mac Mini to see how sites I'd created looked for Mac users.

If I were to buy another Windows laptop, I think it would be an AlienWare laptop like my nephew has. Although I can't see any reason to do that, unless Parallels or VM-Ware stopped working.

If only Intuit would produce a decent Mac version of QuickTax, instead of their "In order to provide better service to Intuit Canada's Macintosh customers, we are recommending that former QuickTax Macintosh customers use QuickTax online to file their income taxes."

Quicktax is the only Windows program I use now.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

It's the panel Apple rejects that makes Apple the best - Apple.

Nice one!
  • Reply 28 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

You bought a gateway ??

whats a gateway ??

• Reply 29 of 30
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 30 of 30
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Yeah I bought one. Back in 2006 I was still a hardcore windows user, although I bought a Mac Mini to see how sites I'd created looked for Mac users.

If only Intuit would produce a decent Mac version of QuickTax, instead of their "In order to provide better service to Intuit Canada's Macintosh customers, we are recommending that former QuickTax Macintosh customers use QuickTax online to file their income taxes."

Quicktax is the only Windows program I use now.

I suggest for Canadian income tax on Mac or Win you try TaxFreeWay.

It has worked lie a charm for me, much better than Quicktax.