Apple again rumored to grow iPad family with HD model and Pro apps

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

More software in silos. Apple's strength, and Apple's weakness.

Actually, I think most of Apple's software has not been developed in silos. It's some pro apps and particularly iMovie that have suffered from that. Like with Mac OS X, there's definitely a lot of cross-pollination with iOS, even if I don't agree with all the bells and whistles of Lion.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    For your memory needs the hard drive you are already using to store photos will likely connect and work with the iPad in its current iteration. I agree with your assertion on photo editing apps. There are some with more capabilties (such as Photogene), but probably not to the level you would want. I do not see a large market for an additional iPad "Pro" model, given that professionals everywhere (including myself) are already using their iPads for professional work. For me it has largely replaced my MacBook as my mobile/presentation/note taking, etc. etc. device. I see the iPad spec and available softwares evolving to a point you want and beyond, but I don't see another parallel iPad "Pro" or "HD" this year. 2011 is the year of the iPad2 .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Well if I could figure that out I would have a job at Apple!

/Start foot in mouth

But let me try: re a single vertical market where Apple could make me very happy. I know this is just for me and my peers, and way out there (at least 2014-like), but I suspect others would like a device similar capabilities:

I just got back from a 10 day photo trip to Utah. I don't have an iPad yet. Thought about bringing my Macbook Pro to download/review/edit photos, but I was reluctant to risk leaving my primary computer in the trunk at trailheads, and it is too heavy to drag along climbing up slickrock, on multi-day backpacks, with limited battery life, etc. (also pretty useless during the actual shooting!) So all my shots stayed on memory cards and a portable card-reading disc drive, unreviewed, unedited, basically unseen, until I finally got home and could actually LOOK at them and start the real work. And then experience remorse for the shots I got wrong and didn't know it.

The iPad is a photographer's friend, and I hear it is great to take along on shoots, but the memory can max out pretty quick - I am not working in a studio where I can off-load files, and I am taking 18MP shots at up to 30 MB each in RAW format, x three or five exposures for each image (for HDR post-processing), and sometimes up to hundreds of images per day (see "Bryce Canyon"). So I might need 10-20+ GB for a single day of shooting, and my trip was 10 days. Plus if you are doing any editing en-route, you need more memory for multiple versions of image edits, scratch files and processing space for image editing software, etc. Even the 64GB iPad would likely be inadequate for that.

I would like to see an iPad Pro with significantly more memory (like Air's 265MB), more graphics processing capability, possibly much more ram for working with those monster image files (is it ram you need or is the flash memory fast enough?), retina display, seamless automatic upload ("it just works") from you DSLR camera - wifi is already coming to high-end cameras - , possibly some degree of ruggedization (water resistance?) for frequent use outdoors, at least 10 hours of battery life, ideally a screen that can be read in bright sunlight so I don't have to buy a 19th C photographer's hood, and superb editing software with pro capabilities including a serious HDR module.

I fantasize about Apple releasing a fully-featured image editing app (NOT an "Express" version or "Eazel" fingerpainting software for the iPad - what is Adobe thinking, that the iPad is a toy????). The software should have capabilities comparable to Photoshop circa 2006 or better, optimized for the iPad. Uh-oh, watch out Adobe! Of course Apple wouldn't ever be motivated to create something that leapfrogs an Adobe product, right?

That spec would make me scream Pro, and immediately buy one for my next photo trip. Of course I have no idea if any of that is technically feasible

And I expect my dream machine would cost $1500-2000, but so what? All this talk of needing to meet a price point that is less than the Air is silly - the iPad is a different machine that serves very different needs, and if the form factor does things no other device can do (which it does) then the comparable price points are irrelevant.

Those capabilities I described might be useful in other pro and semi-pro markets, as none of it is very specific to photography except the software, but I am not the person to judge. Except in architecture (my profession) and engineering, where one of these (esp ruggedized and with a better camera) would be great for site visits.

Thus I think there IS room for more capabilities in the iPad.

end foot in mouth/

• Reply 83 of 84
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    PUH-LEASE! This ipad is rumored to be for pros and "might" be released along with a FINAL CUT pro app??? LOL.

Gimme a friggin break.

So you're gonna be able to edit video you shoot on the ipad in Final Cut Pro now?

You do realize that you can't even IMPORT any HD video from other cameras to the current ipad via Apple's camera connection kit!

I LOVE Apple, but they REALLY dropped the ball with the whole video editing capabilities of the ipad. FIRST....you cant even RUN imovie for the 1G ipad unless you jailbreak it. And SECOND...the ipad 2 can only edit video you shoot WITH the ipad 2 itself. Imported HD video from any other camera doesnt show up in imovie. Which TOTALLY blows! I mean...who wants to go around using the iPad as their MAIN camera? That is soooo retarded.

What is the point of a camera connection kit, if it EXCLUDES video???? EVERY camera has video capabilities now. Again...Apple REALLY dropped the ball here. But the most frustrating part of it all, is how Apple doesnt clearly SAY this. I know alot of people who were misled into thinking they could edit video on their ipads on the road shot with their cameras or dslrs....who were VERY dissapointed.

Not even the employees at Apple's genius bars can give you a clear straight answer.

Apple should FIX this pronto. But i seriously DOUBT that they will. So excuse me if I laugh at the rumor about the ipad update in the fall being able to run a version of Final Cut. LOL.
  • Reply 84 of 84
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    This rumor doesnt make ANY sense. Why would Apple offer an ipad with a retina display at a premium only 6 months after the ipad 2 came out? Before you answer..."BECAUSE THEY CAN!" lol....it just doesn't make sense to me. Adding a retina display is what they would do at the The A END of the ipad 2's life cycle not before. And i think MOST people would think they were getting jipped by having to pay a premium for it. Not to mention pissing off those that JUST bought the ipad 2.

I have been an Apple head way before the iphone craze hit.....but if this rumor were to be true(which i dont think it is).....even I would think Apple has turned to the dark side.