Apple continues to align suppliers for production of fifth-gen iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Well, if the iPad 2 is any indication... Unfortunately I'm afraid that the iPhone 5 is going to be basically a iPhone 4S. Slightly faster processor, hopefully more RAM (but doubtful), the new 8MP camera that all the reports keep indicating, and that's about it. Still, for those of us holding on to a 3GS or older phone this will be a fantastic upgrade. I don't see much in the way of reason for anyone with an iPhone 4 to upgrade though.

Of course Apple will keep it's secrets and keep everyone guessing. I'm just hoping that the release is in Sept rather than Oct. I don't have any major problems with my phone right now, but...

You're not well-informed. The iPad2 has a dual core CPU running 1GHz and an ultra fast GPU about 5 times as fast as the 'best of the rest' phones. This means that the A5 is far superior to all other ARM SOCS and iOS makes the most out of it because it does most work via the GPU.

J.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Any word on more storage?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Imagine still having a 3G [no S]....like me

I call it "value".
  • Reply 24 of 40
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is said to have aligned three key suppliers of gallium arsenide...GaAs, a compound of gallium and arsenic

Wow, so gallium arsenide is a compound of gallium and arsenic.

Thanks for clearing that one up.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Wow, just to think, arsenic in the iP5. Almost like a mobile drug store!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is stupid.

Everyone knows that Republicans aren't carcinogenic. They will upset your stomach, they will sometimes make you puke or leave you stuck on the toilet for a few hours, but they won't actually give you cancer.

Republicans don't give you cancer... They just look the other way when you get cancer.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Republicans don't give you cancer... They just look the other way when you get cancer.

Do you really think this board is the place for your bigotry? How about we talk about the iPhone 5/4S?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Yeah, but doesn't California list water, air, dirt, milk, donuts, and Republicans as all carcinogenic too?

And zinc (think chrome) plated nuts and bolts. Boxes would come in from Cali with warnings about not ingesting them because they contain an item that has been known to cause cancer.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

They're just getting suppliers now for a phone that's supposed to launch in ten weeks?

Maybe I'm naive about the incredible pace that devices get designed and manufactured these days, but that seems ridiculous, especially if you need to build-in any time at all for testing (and at least a week for shipping - I assume that most of these devices are still shipped to the U.S. by boat).

Nah, Apple's main products are air freighted from Apple's manufacturing partners (mostly in China).

It's cheaper to send stuff by boat, however there are inventory management headaches by piling up stuff in various domestic warehouses, particularly outdated software/firmware. Plus, it's cheaper to run a warehouse in China than it is in the United States.

Apple uses domestic warehouses for distributing accessories, etc. A lot of that stuff probably arrives by boat from various partners.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by invisible_moi View Post

California lists gallium arsenide as a carcinogen.

Which means of course that high efficiency solar cells are carcinogens. Down with solar cells!
  • Reply 31 of 40
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

This is stupid.

Everyone knows that Republicans aren't carcinogenic. They will upset your stomach, they will sometimes make you puke or leave you stuck on the toilet for a few hours, but they won't actually give you cancer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Quote:

Yeah, but doesn't California list water, air, dirt, milk, donuts, and Republicans as all carcinogenic too?

There sure are a few people trying to spread hate within the forums today. Lets try to focus on what this topic is about: iPhone 4S/5.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

They're just getting suppliers now for a phone that's supposed to launch in ten weeks?

Maybe I'm naive about the incredible pace that devices get designed and manufactured these days, but that seems ridiculous, especially if you need to build-in any time at all for testing (and at least a week for shipping - I assume that most of these devices are still shipped to the U.S. by boat).

Design is done.

Testing is done.

QA is done concurrently all along the way.

Shipping done via FedEx or UPS air by the pallet load.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Yeah, my wife and I have iPhone 3GS' as well and waiting until the iPhone 5 to upgrade. Android phones have 3D screens, 3D cameras, edge-to-edge screens, and dual-core 1.5 GHz processors. That make my very sluggish 3GS (and even the iPhone 4) look gimp in comparison. I'm hoping Apple steps up their game and releases a phone that gives the current Android phones a run for their money.

please read a review of the LG3D phone.

50% battery time the Iphone4

Marginally faster in real world. (we are talking 3%)

The dual core 1.5ghz says nothing about how fast the phone is especially since A5 has NOVA SIMD extensions. Something that Tegra does not have. Apple can there fore accelerate the graphical layer on the phone. Something that Android never can do, since Google does not control the graphical layer.

3D is a gimmick. You need to hold the phone exactly the right way to get a 3D effect.

1080p recording does not work (inconsistent frame rates 10-30).

500K Android phones infected with malware

and so on and on and on.

If you can't wait, get WInMo7
  • Reply 34 of 40
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Well, if the iPad 2 is any indication... Unfortunately I'm afraid that the iPhone 5 is going to be basically a iPhone 4S. Slightly faster processor, hopefully more RAM (but doubtful), the new 8MP camera that all the reports keep indicating, and that's about it. Still, for those of us holding on to a 3GS or older phone this will be a fantastic upgrade. I don't see much in the way of reason for anyone with an iPhone 4 to upgrade though.

Of course Apple will keep it's secrets and keep everyone guessing. I'm just hoping that the release is in Sept rather than Oct. I don't have any major problems with my phone right now, but...

Slightly faster? Really? Sorry, but the A4 -> A5 is not a slightly faster CPU. It's a considerably faster Multi-core SoC and it's much improved GPU that goes from OpenGL ES 1.1 to 2.0.

The A6 will be an even bigger jump but they aren't pumping that out the same year the A5 is released thus having the iPhone 5 leap frog the iPad 2 A5.

We still have the iPhone and iPod Touch revisions using the A5 to materialize before the A6.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

Well my 3G is dying.... argh. It's got a broken silence switch (doesn't go off any more), dropped calls all over, and very rarely wakes up on the first try. But I'd be crazy to get an iPhone 4 now...

Eh I thought that too with my first gen (!) iPhone. I was holding on for the 5, but it became unusable last weekend. So I got the 4. Ok, in a few months, it'll be outdated, but I don't care. It's a great device; so much better than my first-gen, it's as if it were a whole new class of phone. Which I guess it is, really. So I'll hold off considering any update until the 6 at the earliest, but more likely the 7. Since my MacBook is from '06, there's a realistic chance that my next iPhone will be more powerful than it.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

The rumor mills are saying "just getting." For all you know, the suppliers may have been place for many weeks.

They ship by air from China, not by "boat."

I know that Apple has done that in the past, but I thought that was more of an "emergency" thing. It has to be insanely costly to ship those products by air freight, perhaps even $15-$20 per unit, no?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    No doubt Apple has negotiated a much cheaper corporate rate versus consumer shipping price tables.

Some of the air freight expense would be offset by cheaper/simpler warehousing in China, as well as removing a bunch of inventory management issues.

If I recall correctly, shipping is "free," meaning the consumer isn't invoiced for it as a separate line item; the cost is baked into SG&A.

Apple has been very aggressive in reducing product packaging size, which results in lower shipping costs per unit.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

What new additions to the iphone5 would make you super happy ??

• Reply 39 of 40
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

GaAs? has certain properties that make it superior to silicon, and is frequently found in integrated circuits, infrared light-emitting diodes, and more.

"and more"? Like, most notably, diodes and transistors. Specifically, it has a lower turn-on voltage, which is why GaAs devices consume less power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Oh My God, Apple please hurry up and announce something already! Reading these same rumored reports of the time frame and expected specs over and over is just frustrating beyond belief.

Ha ha! Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx routine:

Patient: "Doctor, doctor! It hurts when i do this."

Doctor: "Well don't do that anymore!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by invisible_moi View Post

The toxicological properties of gallium arsenide have not been thoroughly investigated.?

And your point?

(By the way, silicon chips use toxic materials too.)

Quote:

Ha ha!

Quote:

This is stupid.

Ha ha!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

There sure are a few people trying to spread hate within the forums today.

Chill out. Republicans have done it to themselves. Just a few highlights: Richard Nixon. Bush's treasonous Iran-Contra deal, which kept the hostages in Iran for nearly a year. Newt Gingrich's contract on America. Then Jr. Bush's scam in Iraq, trampling on the Constitution, and meltdown of the economy. We ought to round up all the Republicans, ship them to Texas, and fence off the place.

To paraphrase Marshall Elias Burch: A Republican is the only thing a coyote won?t eat.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

"and more"? Like, most notably, diodes and transistors. Specifically, it has a lower turn-on voltage, which is why GaAs devices consume less power.

Ha ha! Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx routine:

Patient: "Doctor, doctor! It hurts when i do this."

Doctor: "Well don't do that anymore!"

I'm glad my neuroses could entertain you. Also, kudos on your screenname. Leave it to Hawkeye to post about Groucho Marx