Apple releases iOS 4.3.4 to address PDF security hole

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

SoftBank isn't AT&T. Not every carrier is as much of a whore as AT&T is.

No, but if your carrier's data network gets saturated as much as AT&T's has, you can bet they'll start cracking down. I'm not advocating the policy, but paying $30 for unlimited data on a smartphone is completely different than providing unlimited data for a laptop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple should stop supporting PDF because it was created by Adobe.

This sounds like so much blind fanboism that I can't help but assume it's meant in jest. If you're being serious, then step back a second and think about what you're saying. I very frequently share documents with colleagues and I don't care for Word, so I use Pages. Yes it can export to Word format, but without complete compatibility for layout and formatting. How else can I share documents without support for PDF?

Besides, postscript support in the OS dates back to the nextstep days. I'm guessing PDF is simply an extension of that.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Besides, postscript support in the OS dates back to the nextstep days. I'm guessing PDF is simply an extension of that.

NextStep used Postscript as its screen display language. PDF is essentially a subset of Postscript that could be used for the same purpose in OSX without a license from Adobe.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Now *that* is ugly.

Also pretty much useless unless you like tinkering with stuff. The only things I need quick access to are the task list and the brightness and both are provided in iOS with "a swipe and (button) tap."

People who have to turn their Wi-Fi on and off or their Bluetooth on and off on a phone are "doing it wrong" IMO. The whole point of the phone is that it's all handled automatically and unless you are using the phone for some unusual things most people's phones will run a day or more without a charge already so there isn't really a need to save power.

Uh excuse me, where on the iPhone, any version of the OS, is brightness quickly and easily adjustable?

WRONG.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Be careful doing this. The wireless carriers can see what you're doing. AT&T has been catching up with MyWi users here in the states for the past few months, informing people who tether without a plan that the tethering plan will automatically be added to their account if they continue to see the activity..

FUD.

AT&T has been cracking down on people with Unlimited Data plans that have been using more than 10 gigabytes of data per month.

In doing that, they've freed up immense amounts of bandwidth, and have apparently slowed or stopped their attacks on mywi users.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

FUD.

AT&T has been cracking down on people with Unlimited Data plans that have been using more than 10 gigabytes of data per month.

In doing that, they've freed up immense amounts of bandwidth, and have apparently slowed or stopped their attacks on mywi users.

Un-FUD: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...tethering.html

How many people do you think are able to use 10+GB of data using nothing more than a smartphone? I think you'd have to be constantly streaming video or running a torrent client to use that much data. I'd guess that the vast majority of folks using that much data are tethering...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

This sounds like so much blind fanboism that I can't help but assume it's meant in jest. If you're being serious, then step back a second and think about what you're saying. I very frequently share documents with colleagues and I don't care for Word, so I use Pages. Yes it can export to Word format, but without complete compatibility for layout and formatting. How else can I share documents without support for PDF?

Take a screenshot. Just don't send it in Adobe Photoshop format.

Postscript was created by Adobe, so Apple should stop supporting that as well. With all the Apple fans calling for the end of Adobe and wanting to free themselves from all Adobe products, I figured that they would appreciate Apple no longer supporting anything created by Adobe.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

NextStep used Postscript as its screen display language. PDF is essentially a subset of Postscript that could be used for the same purpose in OSX without a license from Adobe.

Licensing fee doesn't matter. Postscript was created by Adobe. All the more reason for Apple to stop supporting Postscript and all subsets of it.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Licensing fee doesn't matter. Postscript was created by Adobe. All the more reason for Apple to stop supporting Postscript and all subsets of it.

What is this supposed to mean? Is it some kind of religious statement?
  • Reply 49 of 60
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Take a screenshot. Just don't send it in Adobe Photoshop format.

Not very printable...

Quote:

Postscript was created by Adobe, so Apple should stop supporting that as well. With all the Apple fans calling for the end of Adobe and wanting to free themselves from all Adobe products, I figured that they would appreciate Apple no longer supporting anything created by Adobe.

I don't know anyone who wishes for the end of Adobe (other than, perhaps, Steve). Frankly I think they've created some fine products. I've used InDesign quite heavily (although I prefer Pages for simple layout tasks because it's far faster and lighter), and used to use Premiere Pro and After Effects before transitioning to Final Cut Express. I'm not a fan of Flash and would love to see the Interwebs move away from it since Adobe seems incapable of making a Flash Player that doesn't consume all available resources on any platform other than Windows, but that doesn't mean I think they should go under.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Uh excuse me, where on the iPhone, any version of the OS, is brightness quickly and easily adjustable?

Double-click the Home Button. Swipe right. Move the slider.

OOH, SO HARD.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Double-click the Home Button. Swipe right. Move the slider.

OOH, SO HARD.

If I swipe right once I get the orientation lock, media player controls. If I swipe right twice I get the volume slider. Only on the iPad can I swipe right once and see a slider for brightness.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I swipe right once I get the orientation lock, media player controls. If I swipe right twice I get the volume slider. Only on the iPad can I swipe right once and see a slider for brightness.

And I even have iOS 4 on my first-gen iPhone, so I should have known that.

Now THAT's embarrassing. Sorry, man.

Though it's not hard at all to hit up Settings to change it.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I do wish it was faster to access on the iPhone. I feel that the Home button triple-press is wasted. I'd be happy if that had an option for an SBSettings like effect. Or maybe something more original like doing circles with your finger on a Home screen to adjust the brightness by 10% with each full circle after the first rotation; clockwise for brighter, counter-clockwise for dimmer.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

We all have those days... But once you use SBSettings to change your brightness on iPhone, everything else seems archaic. In fact, SBSettings is probably what inspired Apple to implement the very convenient brightness setting on iPad.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Never met me, then.

Neither me. However, I'm getting back the phone to unjailbroken as soon as I get back home (currently on a trip abroad)... I can't understand pirating software though. If you like it, you buy it. If it's not good enough to buy it, it's not good enough to use. One or the other, no way around.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do wish it was faster to access on the iPhone. I feel that the Home button triple-press is wasted. I'd be happy if that had an option for an SBSettings like effect. Or maybe something more original like doing circles with your finger on a Home screen to adjust the brightness by 10% with each full circle after the first rotation; clockwise for brighter, counter-clockwise for dimmer.

As much as some of your posts can be annoying - eg, I disagree with them of course -, you sometimes have streaks of genius

I wantz.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:

Try doing that in sunny weather... I tend to put luminosity to lowest when inside a building and forget to change it when going outside. What I'd LOVE would be a setting that sets luminosity to full when leaving a building and back when entering one. Location-awareness seems like a good plan
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:

Given your name is identical to that of a famous troll/website griefer/Wikipedia page ruiner, I'll hope that you're joking.

Please be joking.

Unless I'm mistaken, PDF rendering is included at the level of the UI in the Mac since the mid-nineties, and PDF is openspecc'ed. So yes, troll is hairy.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    neex45neex45 Posts: 1member
    fyi you can jailbreak your iphone 4 via kittyra1n, its tethered though, \

heres the tutorial, http://www.kittyra1n.com/jailbreak-iphone-4-4.3.4.html

kittyra1n is actually pretty cool, geohot ftw!

• Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Location-awareness seems like a good plan

That's... why there's an Ambient Light Sensor... you turn that setting on and it does it for you.