Human Shields (What are they thinking?)

Comments

• Reply 421 of 449
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think this one is closet to the truth.

From <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/16/rafah.death/index.html"; target="_blank">CNN</a>

[quote]Other witnesses, however, reported that Corrie had scaled a pile of dirt but then lost her footing and fell backward behind it, out of sight of the bulldozer operator. The bulldozer continued moving forward, covering Corrie with dirt and then crushing her. <hr></blockquote>

Reminds me of those people who sat on the tracks in front of a moving train. Guy lost a leg and I think he sued over it. What a world we live in.
  • Reply 422 of 449
    [quote]Meanwhile, the local news here spent a solid 3 minutes showing her mourners, talking about what a wonderful girl she was without bothering to mention why, exactly, those evil Jews were bulldozing houses in Gaza. And they reported that the bulldozer "backup up and ran over her two or three time", an account not supported by any mainstream news source. Even the NY Times suggests it was a terrible accident; she was trapped when she tried too late to move, with the driver unable to see her that close to the blade and assuming she'd be smart enough to get out of the way.<hr></blockquote>

The Israelis are bulldozing Palestinian homes, villages and farms, regardless as to whether the inhabitants are militants or not. The IDF doesnt make the distinction: Sharon's aim is to break and annihilate the Palestinian people, in the same way that Hamas/Hezbollah etc want to eliminate the Jews. A Palestinian State? This will *never* happen. Those people are doomed.
  • Reply 423 of 449
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
  • Reply 424 of 449
  • Reply 425 of 449
  • Reply 426 of 449
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hey, this has gone on far to long without my graceful presence.

Can't wait to see these so called human shields high tail it outta there with the news that the yankees are coming. Of course, any that do hang around are more likely to be killed by Saddam's "American" troops. Wouldn't it be funny if Saddam now won't let go, a la Serbian methodology?

Anxiously awaits first news reports.
  • Reply 427 of 449
    Matsu, Saddam has expelled most human shilds many days ago.
  • Reply 428 of 449
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Most?

Poor sod, too paranoid/crazy to exploit/spot a political advantage when it lands right in his lap. Meh, his days are numbered anyway.
  • Reply 429 of 449
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Towel:

<strong>And they reported that the bulldozer "backup up and ran over her two or three time", an account not supported by any mainstream news source</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the very first report I read said she was in a brightly colored coat and was run over, and then backed over again.
  • Reply 430 of 449
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

I think this one is closet to the truth. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Since you're relying on CNN, does that mean the rest of us can too? Or whenever a CNN article doesn't support your case, will it be the left-wing media again?

Just trying to clarify for the future.
  • Reply 431 of 449
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    The <a href="http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Articles.asp?Article=46526&Sn=WORL"; target="_blank">Gulf Daily News</a> from Bahrain supports the CNN account. So does the <a href="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/076/nation/An_Israeli_bulldozer_hits_kills_US_protester+.shtm l" target="_blank">Boston Globe</a> and <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/17/international/middleeast/17GAZA.html?ex=1048482000&en=6e26c8d40c902feb&ei=5 062&partner=GOOGLE" target="_blank">the New York Times</a>. All bastions of pro-war hawkish sentiment. The only article I came across in my casual googling to claim she was run over two or three times was from the Olympian (Olympia, WA - her hometown). For some odd reason, I trust every other major news source around the world over the Olympian and Q13Fox.

Edit: that account, also, comes from a single eyewitness who is a member of the ISM, which, obviously, has an interest in making Israel appear as evil as possible. Get max value from her death, right? It should be noted that the other accounts come from a variety of Palestinian witnesses, who you might think would be at least as unsympathetic to the Israelis.

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: Towel ]</p>
  • Reply 432 of 449
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by groverat

Quote:

We're not looking at a few months, bunge, because France rejects ANY deadline. Any ultimatum at all will apparently be vetoed. Where do you get this "only a few months" idea?

Here .

"Only a couple of weeks ago, Hans Blix told the Security Council that the key remaining disarmament tasks could be completed within months.

I have heard it said that Iraq has had not months but 12 years in which to complete disarmament, and that our patience is exhausted.

Yet it is more than 30 years since resolution 242 called on Israel to withdraw from the occupied territories.

We do not express the same impatience with the persistent refusal of Israel to comply."
  • Reply 433 of 449
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I love arguments that whine about off-subject issues!

That is one of the more laughable anti-war arguments I've read.
  • Reply 434 of 449
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I love arguments that whine about off-subject issues!

That is one of the more laughable anti-war arguments I've read.

That's because you didn't follow the link and read the argument.
  • Reply 435 of 449
    I did read the speech. It was good in places and not good in others.

Don't let other people argue for you, bunge.
  • Reply 436 of 449
    Well well lookie here. Turns out this "peace activist" was a hate monger.

Rachel Corrie, 23, from Olympia, Wash., a member of the 'International Solidarity Movement,' burns a mock U.S. flag during a rally in the southern Gaza Strip (news - web sites) town of Rafah in this Feb. 15, 2003 file photo. Corrie was run over and crushed to death by an Israeli army bulldozer Sunday, March 16, 2003, while she was trying to stop it from tearing down a building in the Rafah refugee camp, witnesses said. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

Talk about "root causes". When one of our own citizens teaches this kind of hate to young children you have to wonder what she's working for? Peace or terror?
  • Reply 437 of 449
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Don't let other people argue for you, bunge.

The link wasn't posted because it's a good argument against war. It's posted because it proves that Blix stated that inspections would only require months. That's the info you 'were looking for', in quotes because you don't really want to see it.

So, Blix says months. According to you a credible threat could be sustained for a few months. The war is not necessary by your own logic.

Are you ready to reverse your decision? Or will you continue to ridicule and avoid instead?
  • Reply 438 of 449
    Blix says the inspectors require months given full cooperation and disclosure by Saddam. He never got that. Read the "cluster" document. Read his reports to the security council. If you can find an instance of Blix saying he can disarm Iraq fully within months withou Saddam's full cooperation I'll gladly concede.

Scott:

Teaching hate is only bad if you're white.
  • Reply 439 of 449
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well well lookie here. Turns out this "peace activist" was a hate monger....Talk about "root causes". When one of our own citizens teaches this kind of hate to young children you have to wonder what she's working for? Peace or terror?

• Reply 440 of 449
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Don't you care about "root causes"?