Sorry To The USA

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>

You know, the U.S. is like the only country with $1 bills. Even those crazy Yurropeans have coins for 1 and 2!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I didn't know that. So you learn something new everyday. Havent been to Yurrop since the Yurro came into effect. Sucks for the Yurropeans then. Coins are booty wack and should be replaced by paper money in all forms.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Not all European countries have the ?uro.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Just the ones that count, hahaha...

Uh, wait a minute, I don't propose we make one nation out of N.America. But seeing as for business purposes the law-making power of Canadian business has already been seriously curtailed, we might as well get something for our trouble. Harmonize currency, social/political boundaries stay as they are. We tax and spend as we wish and the Americans and Mexicans do as they wish in their own borders, but seeing as how money keeps flowing across those borders, we might as well have a common currency.

You can't do this without social effects, but how different are Canadians and Americans? I'd say not too different at all. We believe more or less the same things about freedoms, rights, the good life. We speak the same language (as does any Mexican with money); we have a similar geo-religious breakdown, except for Mexico. Look at health care. Canadian health care ain't nearly as universal as Americans might think. Just get sick in Canada and then see. Or gun control, we're hardly a gunless nation, last I checked there were over 6 million registered fire-arms in Canada (not bad for a population of 30 Million) etc etc...

NAFTA has not increased the opportunity for the citizens of any country, it has merely provided a mechanism for corporations to legally challenge unfavorable regulations. As the majority of corporations are American, it seems to favor "Americans", but it doesn't really favor the citizens of any country, it just lets rich people find the cheapest labor/resources they can. Harmonized currency would eventually equalize that, we don't have to see our buying power go down the tubes, american auto workers don't have to lose their jobs to the mexicans, mexicans have to build their economy on more than "cheap labour" which it is in their interest to do, and to a large extent Canada has also to do the same.

Our industrial development has been woefull in the last 50 years considering the wealth nature provides us. far from opening up the American market, NAFTA has opened up the Canadian landscape to multi-nationals. It was dumb, the one decent protection we could have gotten, common currency, we didn't get, and now we're paying for it.

I find it ridiculous that I might earn 40,000 Canadian (about 25000USD) on this side of the border, and move to texas to make about 60-80K USD or 100-130K Canadian, about 3X more. The we wonder about a brain drain... MEH, fvck it, Canada isn't that important to me. If I keep getting dicked around I'll move to the US, and come back to Canada in the event of terror, sickness, etc etc...

Soon we won't be able to afford anything. It has become fashionable to blame Trudeau, skip Mulroney, and blame Chretien, but if you look at it carefully, you see just how deeply Mulroney's tories sold us all out. If I wanted to not be able to afford anything I would have moved too Europe.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    [quote]Originally posted by kraig911:

<strong>god canadian beer sucks...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably because there is actually ALCOHOL in Canadian beer. Not like that watered down piss you drink in the states.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    [quote]Not all European countries have the ?uro. <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for correcting that. Naturally I wasn't in anyway strictly refering to just the eurozone for the sake of brevity and ignoring the others who didn't sign up to the Yurro rather than hashing through the currencies of other countries' individual currencies. I have now pounded this discovery that there are other currencies in Yurrop into my thick head and from penceforth I shall be more careful.

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: ColanderOfDeath ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Actually, though this may seem like sacriledge, I don't find Canadian beer to be all that good. It all tastes the same to me. Best case: it's a HOT day and the beer is fridgid cold, tolerable then, good even. Worst case, the beers so-so cold and it tastes like someone barfing in your mouth, particularly Molson and Labbat's products. ick. Of course, American beer isn't so great either, same generic taste as Canadian beer, just more watery.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

<hr></blockquote>

to which the American reply would be.

Yeah, but you're Canadian

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 40
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    In fact, while there are other currencies in Yurrop, they too have coins for denominations 1 and 2. Yurrop (as in my prior post) != eurozone
  • Reply 29 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Why does everyone think we say "yurrup?"
  • Reply 30 of 40
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Go to texas, and drink some Shiner Bock, or go to california and drink Sierra Nevada, now thats REAL beer. I'm not fond of drinking moose piss either, no matter how much alcohol is in it, it still sux. Sides Shiner and Sierra have more alcohol than most of those. God Canadian beer sux. Now Canadian women thats where its at.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Good beer only comes from Europe. The Best comes from Erin: Guinness. In North America, you can only find terrible tasting beers. Anyone who claims otherwise has conditioned themselves to low standards over the course of many many drinking sessions. When I first had a beer (i remember it being american), i thought, "Why do people drink this terrible swill?" That gaggy feeling is reduced over the course of several parties and all; but Canadien beer still manages to make me wanna puke (and i dont mean when i'm already pished, cuz after a few, i dont really care what i have). Thank God for the Irish.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Nah, the best beer comes from Belgium.

And as Belgian beers go, Stella is crap.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    One thing to be mentioned I hear from one our clients that the alcohol content say up north in pennslyvania, and illinois are purposely?(real word?) handicapped to follow the state law there, so that must be why you think that. I hear that 8oz bottles for a bottle of beer is illegal in pennslyvania, that they don't have 6packs they have 10 packs or something to that nature is that true? cuz if so that sux.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    dual867dual867 Posts: 31member
    FYI, The U.S. actually also has a dollar coin. And yes, it is an officially minted coin(not one of these "heritage" coins you see on T.V.)

Go here: <a href="http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index.cfm?action=golden_dollar_coin"; target="_blank">http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index.cfm?action=golden_dollar_coin</a>; and check it out.

Funny thing is, it looks an awful lot like our Canadian loonie. The dimensions are almost the same as well with the U.S. coin being slightly smaller.

-Dual 867

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Dual867 ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like the Sacagawea. I don't know why it's not in more widespread usage. I say dump the $1 bill, and go full on coinage for the $1 denomination and bump up production of the rare, but still printed $2 bill.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]Originally posted by kraig911:

<strong>One thing to be mentioned I hear from one our clients that the alcohol content say up north in pennslyvania, and illinois are purposely?(real word?) handicapped to follow the state law there, so that must be why you think that. I hear that 8oz bottles for a bottle of beer is illegal in pennslyvania, that they don't have 6packs they have 10 packs or something to that nature is that true? cuz if so that sux.</strong><hr></blockquote>No, they have six packs but because of a stupid arse law that is supposed to keep you from drinking (and it actually seems to have worked with me since I moved here) you can only buy cases and you can only buy from a liquor store

except, if you buy from a restauraunt/pizza parlor, then you buy six packs but then they are very expensive!!!!!

Sam Addams has some good new beers . . . almost un-American they are so good
  • Reply 37 of 40
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Yep--$1 coin. I ask for them by name at the bank and when getting change, much more convenient than a bill. I'd use a $2 coin, too.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>Good beer only comes from Europe. The Best comes from Erin: Guinness. In North America, you can only find terrible tasting beers. Anyone who claims otherwise has conditioned themselves to low standards over the course of many many drinking sessions. When I first had a beer (i remember it being american), i thought, "Why do people drink this terrible swill?" That gaggy feeling is reduced over the course of several parties and all; but Canadien beer still manages to make me wanna puke (and i dont mean when i'm already pished, cuz after a few, i dont really care what i have). Thank God for the Irish.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ugh, Guinness. I hate nitro beers. Thanks for lumping all American beers together. Try some Anchor Porter sometime if you're into the thick stuff like stouts and porters.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    You people are looney like the Canadians. Coins are jingly jangly and they are not lightweight like paper. Paper money owns. The Sacajewa has been a huge failure even by the US Mint's own admission, just like its predecessor. Hardly anyone wants to use them, except the weirdos at AppleInsider.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I do agree with Strong Bad on this one:

<a href="http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail39.html"; target="_blank">http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail39.html</a>;

Again, not a big beer fan, but I sure wouldn't want a Warm One...