46% of smartphone buyers prefer Apple's iOS, 32% choose Google Android

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Cheap is not in Apple's DNA. The responded to the netbook craze with the MacBook Air which cost several thousand dollars initially. And then the iPad which costs more than most netbooks.

The AIR has modern state of the art design and expensive features - the SSD. And the iPad is not a netBook. iPads have top of the line mobile processors and screens, netbooks are cheaper small versions of an existing product. The entry level iPad was the cheapest tablet on release, it is pretty much the cheapest now, give or take $50, and they will probably reduce prices if a HD version comes out.

Apple does do cheap ( in price); however when it does cheap it does expensive as well. The ASP of the iPod Touch is way higher than the standard model. Apple is a mass market company which sells to the masses, with an enviable reputation for being expensive.

Quote:

I don't seem them competing on price. And if they must do it, I only see them doing it in markets where most phones are sold on-contract. This way they could sell the previous model iPhone for $0 or drop the current year model price to $150 or $100.

Every time people make this argument - which happens in every thread where someone mentions an iPhone phone reduction. I mention that Cook said he wanted to cede no market, that the iPhone was not to be for the rich and they were looking into innovative solutions for that. Every time.

It makes no difference. The same "Apple doesnt do cheap" line is repeated.

Quote:

I find it a tad odd (and ironic) that while Apple loves to brag about how well off their user base is, that they might be rushing to make their phones as cheap as possible (without sacrificing too much profitability).

Apple have never released any marketing about how well off their user base is, so it wouldn't be too ironic for them to sell cheap, along with expensive. Not bottom of the market cheap, but cheap enough. iOS will help if iCloud takes off.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tamtam View Post

this survey only considers people that are planning to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days. that's the first question. therefore, it captures all those people that are waiting for the new iphone. you clearly see the pattern that it always peaks before the iphone launch: june 08, 09, 10 and 11.

after those buyers get their new iphone the numbers drop again. clearly due to seasonality one can only look at year over year comparisons.

That's definitely going on, but even outside of those periods we see the 'intent to purchase' that they're measuring doesn't marry up to the actual sales numbers. It's always higher, which does fit a premium product that has a cheaper 'good enough' competitor.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It is obvious that only Wintards are buying windows 7 phones as this company is now irrelevant in the mobile market but the clowns using them haven't figured it out yet.

How does that relate to people who were buying original iPhone at the time when Apple was completely irrelevant in mobile market?

Brand irrelevant today is not necessarily brand irrelevant tomorrow. Apple users of all should know that.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I own a 3GS, my wife has an iPhone 4, and we also own a Mac Mini (hers) and an Apple TV. My wife plans to use her yearly AT&T upgrade to get the iPhone 5 and we do plan on getting another Mac Mini to replace my aging gaming PC (which is now nothing more than loud )

So we are definitely an Apple family. Nonetheless, for my upgrade I decided to go with the Samsung Focus, a Windows 7 Phone. The phone's build quality doesn't quite match the level of my 3GS and it doesn't come close to my wife's iPhone 4. It is not bad, but not great build quality. I have it in a case and have no worries, just as I did with my 3GS.

The Windows Phone OS really has got my attention. Fantastic OS. Smooth and Silky OS. Better than iOS 4? IMHO, yes! iOS 4 is getting long in the toogh. Better than iOS 5? No idea yet. Probably on equal terms. Both are so much better than Android for ease of use.!

I will use my (soon to be) my iPhone 4 as a glorified iPod Touch/Skype Phone and remote for our Apple TV and sell the 3GS soon.

So I guess this puts me in the 6% of the Market that doesn't have iOS, Android or a RIM phone. It is unfortunate that so many folks have Android and don't even consider the Windows Phone just out of ignorance or perhaps their decision not to buy is based on FDU.

I know many folks will bash the Windows Phone (many Apple fanatics are just haters of anything non-Apple at heart) but the Windows Phone OS (they need a shorter name) really is much better than Android for all-around use.

So has anybody actually given the Windows Phone OS a chance without dismissing it based on the fact it is a MS product?

I'm also looking forward WP7, but I will wait for Nokia. I'm happy with my 3Gs but I want to try something as different as possible... which is why I am not interested in Android (too much like iOS on GUI level) but likewise not much interested in iOS5. My wife, on the contrary, wants to keep it as much the same as it is now, so she will be strong candidate for iPhone 5.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Wintards, just like Droidtards, are tasteless!

Ah, yesss. Give me a tasty iTard any time of the day...
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"Wintards"? Now, now, no need to be rude?.

I do suspect that the "57% very-satisfied" result for WM7 probably comes from the extremely low numbers available to be polled, that those polled don't want to say "my choice seriously SUCKED!", and that most of those using the WM7 phones are M$ employees, but hey! Who's splitting hairs?

It's also notable that although they enjoyed an allegedly high satisfaction rate, there was no mention of anyone actually intending to buy one in the next 90 days.

After all, how many WM7 phones are available on the market TODAY? Anyone?? Anyone?? Bueller?? >

Not many, and they are - on average - lower quality devices than what goes for Android. In a word, manufacturers went off with half-as*ed effort with their first go on WP7.

Two things could change that:

Nokia. They will be iPhone for WP7. They are more than capable of creating high quality, desirable devices.

Royalties. Even if Apple/MS/RIM (a.k.a the Rockstar Unholy Trinity ) don't block Android completely, there is more than decent chance that, with all the royalties on top of it, Android will be more expensive for manufacturers than buying WP7 licenses. Samsung and others don't do Android because they are believers, but because it is supposed to be cheap(er)... and that could easily change.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Personally, no matter how good it is I wouldn't buy a WP7 phone at this point because I'm unconvinced that the platform has a significant future.

True that. We should know after September if Microsoft are going to forge a coherent computing platform or if they are going to cast WP7 off to the side.

If Windows Phone gets orphaned, I can't see it drastically increasing markeshare - Nokia deal or not.

It still might end up in third place, but it won't be more than single digits or at best the very low teens.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

How does that relate to people who were buying original iPhone at the time when Apple was completely irrelevant in mobile market?

Brand irrelevant today is not necessarily brand irrelevant tomorrow. Apple users of all should know that.

There's a difference between 'emerging from obscurity' and 'sinking into irrelevancy'. The former has mystery and excites curiosity - the latter is familiarity breeding contempt.

WP7 needs a hail mary pass, which Nokia may yet prove to be - but it's a longshot.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

True that. We should know after September if Microsoft are going to forge a coherent computing platform or if they are going to cast WP7 off to the side.

If Windows Phone gets orphaned, I can't see it drastically increasing markeshare - Nokia deal or not.

It still might end up in third place, but it won't be more than single digits or at best the very low teens.

I've said it before, Microsoft are the Bluebeard of tech, there's an attic at Redmond full of the bodies of their previous partners.

That history would indicate that WP7 is far likelier to doom Nokia than Nokia is to save WP7.