Golden Master copies of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion arrive on hard disks at Apple stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hmm... I'll give it 3 or 4 months before installing. Always best to let the early adopters suffer first.

Good thought.

For that reason, I'll wait to buy my MBA.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

If they don't release a hard copy of this OS...

So you're still ignoring absolutely everything that Apple has said, then?

There is no hard copy unless you burn one yourself.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    I hope they didn't go through Canada Post.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It must surely be out in the next 24hrs.

Because of the way you buy it, more people will be doing "upgrade installs" than in past OS X releases. I sure hope they've got that upgrade script debugged with every single edge case catered for!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good thought.

For that reason, I'll wait to buy my MBA.

It would be interesting to know how long Apple's internal manufacturing tweaking cycle is.

Not the time to the next refresh, but the time from when hardware goes out, they discover some minor glitches not worth admitting, then fix them and the next run of macbooks comes out.

I bought one of the first unibody macbook 13"s and I'm sure it's mechanically buggier than everyone else's.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Woo! Can't wait for this! Hope the new Macbook Airs live up to rumors and don't disappoint!

I hope they can run the user interface.

The ones I looked at at in the Apple Store were so slow, there was a definite wait when moving just from record to record - in iTunes lists of music and even in the Finder from file to file. It really put me off as I'm keen for a super-light Macbook.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

The ones I looked at at in the Apple Store were so slow, there was a definite wait when moving just from record to record - in iTunes lists of music and even in the Finder from file to file. It really put me off as I'm keen for a super-light Macbook.

Are you sure you are talking about third-generation MBAs (released in 2010)? They're super-fast when it comes to iTunes and file browsing thanks to their solid-state storage. I know for sure because my wife has one and it feels snappier than my 13" Core i5 MBP.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stratokaster View Post

Are you sure you are talking about third-generation MBAs (released in 2010)? They're super-fast when it comes to iTunes and file browsing thanks to their solid-state storage. I know for sure because my wife has one and it feels snappier than my 13" Core i5 MBP.

I don't see how he can be talking about anything but a MBA with a 1.8" HDD. If you have to process a lot of data the 2010 MBAs will be slower than a MB or MBP, but for file access they quite fast, and should be even faster with Lion since I've heard that Finder has been rewritten to take advantage of GCD and OpenCL. Also, iTunes 10.5 is now Cocoa and 64-bit.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Also, iTunes 10.5 is now Cocoa and 64-bit.

But Lion ships with iTunes 10.3.1 which is still a horribly bloated Carbon application.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stratokaster View Post

But Lion ships with iTunes 10.3.1 which is still a horribly bloated Carbon application.

1) They will change when they have the next iPod/iPhone special event, which I think will be at the end of Summer/early Autumn.

2) It should still open immediately on the MBA. iTunes as always opened in about 1 second on my Intel MLC X25 G2 SSD.

3) It's still "bloated' in version 10.5 as I understand people's definition of the term. I don't think its speed and efficiency will change that notion as long as you sync via iTunes for all your iDevices.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    larryclarryc Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

They should have to download their copies from the Mac App store like the rest of us peons.

Absolutely! Why don't they just do it like they have told us to do it? Show us how easy and simple it is. This seems a little odd to me, why not just download it from apple's very own big, white, puffy cloud? Way to go, Steve
  • Reply 32 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also, the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have been rumored for a release in late July or early August, though further evidence of an upcoming release has been scant.

Mr.X released part numbers for the MBA, Mac Mini and Macbook. I'd expect all three to launch tomorrow with Lion.

The Mac Pro all depends on Apple's access to the Xeon E5 chips. It's kind of the odd one out in the whole Apple lineup. I suspect October/November with the iPhone in September.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryC View Post

Absolutely! Why don't they just do it like they have told us to do it? Show us how easy and simple it is. This seems a little odd to me, why not just download it from apple's very own big, white, puffy cloud? Way to go, Steve

Sending out the GM to the stores on physical media being more secure is more than likely the reason for this before the public release. Then too, there may be some extra goodies along for the ride.