iPhone 4 survives 13,500-foot fall from skydiver's pocket

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

I had a Palm Pilot which i kept in a padded case, i set it on a night stand next to the bed, and knocked it off by accident. It dropped about 21 inches onto plush carpeting. It never turned on again.

I had a Palm-based Tapwave Zodiac. It was encased in aluminum. Didn't drop it, nor treat it harshly. Within 45 days, it never turned on again. Before I could send it in for warranty repairs, the company that made it folded. The iPhone 4 is way better than that crap.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Does anybody know what gps tracking app to use when you lost an iphone? can it detect the iphone even without wifi or 3g? thanks!
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Did anyone consider that the important part of this story is not that the iPhone still works or not, but that no one was hit by the phone? If this phone had hit a person, it most likely would have killed them or at least seriously injured them.

I wonder what would be on that person's gravestone had they been hit...

"Can You Hear Me Now?" \
  • Reply 24 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djweisman View Post

Just another example of the problem that plagues iPhones, dropped calls.

OK, you get a point for a clever response.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Did anyone consider that the important part of this story is not that the iPhone still works or not, but that no one was hit by the phone? If this phone had hit a person, it most likely would have killed them or at least seriously injured them.

an absolutely pointless exercise. if it happened, we'd be talking about it. as it happened, no one was hurt. why spend an iota of energy talking about 'what if?'

btw, absolutely love my t-mobile iphone. yeah, i paid a few hundred dollars extra, but when all is said and done, i pay $70/month (no tax & fees-straight up $70) unlimited everything and it comes out to $100 cheaper than someone with an AT&T iphone (2-year contract). get signals everywhere--especially indoors in hayes valley.

AWESOME!
  • Reply 26 of 62
    cuencapcuencap Posts: 99member
    I bet you an iPhone 5 that Jarrod gets a free iPhone 4 replacement!
  • Reply 27 of 62
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    The stupid **s should have been more careful as the phone could have landed on someone's head just as easily. Reckless behavior. If you decide to jump out of a plane above a residential area you should be more careful.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    That's awesome. I bet Apple will send him a new one. If not he might want to try to get a replacement using out-of-warranty service for $199 (it works and it is not separated into pieces)!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle0845 View Post

Does anybody know what gps tracking app to use when you lost an iphone? can it detect the iphone even without wifi or 3g? thanks!

Every iPhone 4/3GS, iPad, and iPod touch have free "Find my iPhone" service built in.. No need for an app. You will need internet service (WiFI or cellular) so that device can report back its position to you.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Ok, I guess I have to do the obvious...

iDead by iPhone
  • Reply 30 of 62
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    It's not made out of crappy glass, the iPhone is aside from the $1,500 (toughfone) the toughest phone available for consumers.

The plastic and glass have been fused together, making something "new" like plexiglass/pirex, which is something no other manufacturer has ever tried because it caused bubbles, and cost to much.

Apple's really NOT blowing smoke up your butt when they tell you that they've invented a new way to manufacture the screen.

The glass comes out of the machines at 20 SCREENS per hour, so slow that they had to spend almost $500 million on the machines?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How does a phone made almost completely of glass survive something like that? I understand the glass is shattered, but it is still connected to the rest of the phone and the internals obviously are okay. Unbelievable!

• Reply 31 of 62
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    How many feet does an iPhone have to fall before it reaches terminal velocity?
  • Reply 32 of 62
    jermwhljermwhl Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

The stupid **s should have been more careful as the phone could have landed on someone's head just as easily. Reckless behavior. If you decide to jump out of a plane above a residential area you should be more careful.

Really? This is what you took away from the article?

Jumping above a "residential area" is relative when you're 13,000 feet in the air. The phone landed a half a mile from where he landed, it didn't necessarily fall straight down. Wind drift carried the phone some distance.

Just make sure you're very careful with everything you do in the future. No mistakes from you, EVER!

BTW, reckless behavior and skydiving kind of go hand-in-hand;

being "more careful" and skydiving do not

IMO

I think it is impressive the phone survived a somewhat direct impact to the roof of a house. I was expecting a, "landed in a soft grassy field" type of incident. I say somewhat, because the phone did have a cover (that scattered on impact). I would think that company will be marketing the heck out of this article soon enough!
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

how many feet does an iphone have to fall before it reaches terminal velocity?

• Reply 34 of 62
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

Actually at 13'500ft within a atmosphere with breathable density the iPhone would have reached terminal velocity long before it hit the roof of that building. Meaning, that at 13'501ft it would have travelled at the same speed as at it did at 13'500ft.

So the question quinney asked is still to open.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That's awesome. I bet Apple will send him a new one. If not he might want to try to get a replacement using out-of-warranty service for $199 (it works and it is not separated into pieces)!

Every iPhone 4/3GS, iPad, and iPod touch have free "Find my iPhone" service built in.. No need for an app. You will need internet service (WiFI or cellular) so that device can report back its position to you.

thanks! my iphone got stolen so im looking for a way to track it. if its even possible
  • Reply 37 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

lol DUDE.. 13,500 FT Free Fall... crashed into a HOUSE.. Still made phone calls! I mean come on lol.. do you have to be SO much of a nerd about it.. The article is on point, no matter which way you look at it, that's bloody impressive.

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear before, but I was responding to this line: "McKinney plans to fix the screen, ...."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe, maybe not. The actual cost to replace the front and back glass is $154, not $400:

http://www.iresq.com//iphone-repair/iphone-4.html

Granted, they might find other damage, but if it's only the broken glass, it might be worth the repair cost.

Assuming it's legit, those prices are a lot better than what I found elsewhere.

Quote:

However, if it were me, I'd go into the Apple store and use the $199 replacement program. Only $45 more than replacing the glass and you get a fully refurbished phone.

I hadn't heard of that program, I've only heard of people being told they needed to buy a whole new phone. I wonder if Apple would actually take this one.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djweisman View Post

just another example of the problem that plagues iphones, dropped calls.

+1
  • Reply 39 of 62
    I had an iPod Touch 1st gen, it laid 2 weeks in the snow. Then some kid found it, found my phonenumber on it (it still had battery!), called me, and it still works!
  • Reply 40 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If somebody drops an Android phone or tablet from 13,500 feet, it will probably not drop smoothly to the ground. It will lag and stop up every 5 feet, replicating the choppy performance that it has when it is not in freefall.