Promotional materials for Mac OS X Lion appear at third-party Apple stores

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Gearing up for an anticipated launch this week, Apple has begun delivering promotional materials for Lion, its next-generation operating system, to third-party retailers across the globe.

The in-store graphics and images were spotted on display at a Euronics in Italy by Macitynet.it, as discovered by MacRumors. The site and corresponding images have since been taken down, but the images show Mac hardware running Lion and tout the new multi-touch gestures found in the operating system upgrade.

The new gestures found in Lion will allow features like momentum scrolling, tapping or pinching figures to zoom in on a website or image, and swiping left or right to turn a page or switch between full-screen apps.

The signs that were posted prematurely say that Lion is found on "all new Macs," but machines at the local store were not yet updated to the new operating system.

Another sign spotted at Dutch retail chain Dixons encourages users to buy a Mac App Store gift card and gift Lion to someone else. When it is released to the public, Lion will only be available on new Macs, or to current Snow Leopard users via the Mac App Store for $29.99.

Separately, AppleInsider received an unconfirmed tip on Tuesday that Lion was in the process of being installed on demo MacBook units found in a Best Buy store. The Apple employee allegedly said the machines would be publicly running the new operating system Wednesday morning, which aligns with other signs pointing to an imminent launch. The claims cannot be substantiated, but are presented for the interest of discussion.

Promotional materials have begun to crop up as Apple's own retail stores have reportedly begun to receive copies of Lion on hard disks. The disks are said to hold final copies of the software for install on demo computers.

Other new features of Lion include full-screen applications; mission control, which combines Expose, Dashboard and Spaces into one unified experience; the Mac App Store, Launchpad, an iPad-style interface for launching applications; resume; auto-save; versions; and AirDrop. In all, there are more than 250 new features in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

For more, see AppleInsider's extensive series, Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, parts of which are included below:

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to support 450 Mbps WiFi on 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pro, iMacs

Safari adds iPad-like Downloads menu

VMware vSphere 5 to add cloud virtualization support for Mac OS X Server

Developer Preview 3 dials down animated tabs

iTunes Screen Saver controls music playback

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Boy I sure hope it doesn't come out while I'm at work tomorrow (I'm in the UK so if it rolls down at the start of US business day - call it 8ish Eastern - I'll have to wait until I get home and miss out on time playing with the shiny. THE SHINY.)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    I reclaimed my office from our last exchange student as of last month. That came at a cost: I have been banished from my wife's Mac Mini to my old gaming PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (comp sci student discount).

I have no problem using Windows 7 and when I still was on the Mac Mini I used both OSes, but now I will have miss out on Lion until I can save up enough to cover the cost of a new Macbook Air.

Probably for the best, as I want a DVD install disc for Lion.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

You can make one from the download. Just do it before installing or make a copy of the installer. After installing the installer deletes itself.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

I reclaimed my office from our last exchange student as of last month. That came at a cost: I have been banished from my wife's Mac Mini to my old gaming PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (comp sci student discount).

I have no problem using Windows 7 and when I still was on the Mac Mini I used both OSes, but now I will have miss out on Lion until I can save up enough to cover the cost of a new Macbook Air.

The Air doesn't come with DVD restore media as it doesn't have an optical drive. The restore media comes on a USB stick.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

The Macbook Air, at least the previous model, did not come with an installation disc as it did not come with a DVD drive. Instead, it came with an installation flash drive.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    wow... a new OS is coming out? first I heard of that on AI