Apple profits surge 125% on record sales of 20.34M iPhones, 9.25M iPads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The next quarter is the current quarter: fiscal Q4-2011 and calendar Q3-2011. We'll know in 3 months what their guidance is for the Holiday quarter? unless I'm missing something.

ONT just passed 400!
  • Reply 42 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Actually, to be more clear, those numbers only cite the iPhone and iPad sales this quarter plus the iPod lineup. They have yet to break out the iPod Touch numbers. Let's just say they sold over 3 million iPod Touch devices, then the combined total iOS devices sold, over the last 90 days puts them over 32 million devices [32,59 million].

That's 362,111 iOS Devices sold, per day. If it's 4 million iPod Touch devices, the per day sale of iOS devices becomes: 373,222.

[?]

They stated that 50% of the 7.5 million iPod sales were Touches.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is it just me or is Apple being extremely pessimistic with their forward guidance? I mean, dropping from earnings of $7.79 per share to $5.50 when heading into the holiday quarter is mind bogglingly low, right? I know they like to surprise up, but this is crazy... (or am I missing something?)

Historically, the 4th Quarter is small next to the Christmas [1st quarter]. The big back to school push is strong through August but doesn't continue through September.

Yes, they will blow out their estimates, but the guidance is a respectable one relative to their history.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    APPLE ACTIVATED 220 million devices last quarterhttp://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20080555-248/apple-posts-$28b-quarter-announces-lion-launch/?tag=topStories1

ipad

ipod touch

iphone

220,000,000.oo divide by 90 days equas 2,440,000, day

A DAY !!!!

MONEY WISE THATS billions of bucks compared to zero for android

• Reply 45 of 91
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

We don't. All we know is that they've reported higher and higher activations every few months. Do you really think they are taking an average for the past 90s to state that total? I don't, nor would I do that. I would wait for some milestone quantity, like 550k, to hit and then publicly state it. It doesn't matter if it dropped to 540k, 530k, or 350k the next day. They are stating milestones, while Apple is reporting total numbers which we must average.

They reported 100mil in mid May and 130mil in mid July. Those were reported as totals.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

220,000,000.oo divide by 90 days equas 2,440,000, day

A DAY !!!!

Maybe I'm missing irony here but that 220mil number was total, not quarterly. The quarterly number was around 34 mil
  • Reply 47 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

They reported 100mil in mid May and 130mil in mid July. Those were reported as totals.

Okay, I see where you're going with that. That's 30 million in around 60 days. That is 500k per day average, assuming it was exactly 60 days.

edit: That's still activations of Android v. sales of iOS-based devices. If you buy an Android phone, activate it, hate it, return it does that count as an activation? Furthermore, if you sell it and someone else sets it up with their Google credentials does that same device get another activation or is tied to the phones HW ID for the first and only first activation?
  • Reply 48 of 91
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Wow! AAPL up to $505,545,728.

Full size.

Well I sold my stock! Woo Hoo!!

What?!... Aw mannnnn.... only 376.85!

Who the heck keeps the stock ticker up to date?... SEARS!!!

/

/

/
  • Reply 49 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Maybe I'm missing irony here but that 220mil number was total, not quarterly. The quarterly number was around 34 mil

sorry i just caught that

its 220 million to date by > mr c

android made zero

that was all

sounds stupid now

peace and thanks for the heads up

• Reply 50 of 91
    Quote:

Okay, I see where you're going with that. That's 30 million in around 60 days. That is 500k per day average, assuming it was exactly 60 days.

I think it was a little more than 60 days, but then they didn't announce the 500k till late June. At any rate I'm convinced that they're not just pulling out a peak figure and trying to pass it as an average.

Quote:

edit: That's still activations of Android v. sales of iOS-based devices. If you buy an Android phone, activate it, hate it, return it does that count as an activation? Furthermore, if you sell it and someone else sets it up with their Google credentials does that same device get another activation or is tied to the phones HW ID for the first and only first activation?

No argument there of course. It may be an average, but it's unclear what it's an average of exactly. It's certainly doesn't seem like it's unduly constraining Apple's growth.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

The next quarter is the current quarter: fiscal Q4-2011 and calendar Q3-2011. We'll know in 3 months what their guidance is for the Holiday quarter? unless I'm missing something.

Oh, right. Thanks. I was so excited I jumped ahead a quarter!
  • Reply 52 of 91
    I wonder what Apple's number of iPhones sold would be if SJ adopted the Android strategy of "buy one, get one free".
  • Reply 53 of 91
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Yes. Is it one activation per device or a new activation per device per user.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    You know if Android fails to compete in the Tablet space Apple may catch up without the need of a cheap iPhone.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    I expect them to sell as many iPads as iPhones at Christmas.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Historically, the 4th Quarter is small next to the Christmas [1st quarter]. The big back to school push is strong through August but doesn't continue through September.

Yes, they will blow out their estimates, but the guidance is a respectable one relative to their history.

It's still odd though. I find it hard to believe they will sell $3.6 billion LESS next quarter.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    and to think i wanted to buy apple stock when the ipod mini came out, before the split, when the price was ~$30.

if i was 5 years older at the time i could have bought some :-( unfortunately even with apple's incredible success buying this high doesn't seem like a good option.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    vinitaboyvinitaboy Posts: 156member
    The Mac total would have been even HIGHER, had the new MacBook Air been released a month earlier. (Supposed to be released tomorrow with 10.7, if rumors are to be believed.)
  • Reply 59 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Lets see....

20,340,000 iPhones.

~13 weeks per quarter.

1,564,615 iPhones per week.

Throw on another...

9,250,000 iPads

at 711,538 per week.

That is more than 2 million iOS devices getting activated per week excluding the iPod.

(What was the Android number? 500,000?)

As you were told, Android is 550,000 per day (allegedly). Your number for iOS doesn't include iPods, but IIRC, that would add about 600 K per week - so the total number of iOS devices sold is somewhere around 2.8 to 3 million.

HOWEVER, the big flaw is that we don't know what Google means by activations. One person here claimed that a Google engineer told him that every time you swap SIM cards, it's a new activation. Until Google starts publishing actual sales figures, you can't really do a comparison.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes. Is it one activation per device or a new activation per device per user.

Google has never stated that. In fact, they've refused to say exactly what they mean by 'activation'.

The fact that it would be easy for them to publish sales figures suggests that they're intentionally obfuscating.