Apple initiates mass discontinuation of boxed retail software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    pflaupflau Posts: 6member
    I always buy downloadable software when I can anyway. Cut down on paper and waste. Save The Trees and Keep Plastics Out Of Landfills.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pflau View Post

I always buy downloadable software when I can anyway. Cut down on paper and waste. Save The Trees and Keep Plastics Out Of Landfills.

Those on PowerPC architecture have fewer means to purchase software as they have no access to the MAS. It's a strike against software companies moving to MAS-only distribution as they will lose all those legacy customers. They already can't sell you iOS apps without going through the App store.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    badtuxbadtux Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Those on PowerPC architecture have fewer means to purchase software as they have no access to the MAS. It's a strike against software companies moving to MAS-only distribution as they will lose all those legacy customers. .

"all those legacy customers" = "dwinding few". The last PowerPC Macs were retired nearly five years ago. The average lifespan of a PC is three years. You do the math.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    You can still buy the boxed versions from the online store. I hope that continues. Not everyone has broadband internet.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

I have plenty of install CDs that are still good. One uses a CD install disk maybe once and it gets put away. Why would they fail?

Meanwhile, I have a client moving into a new facility of 50,000 square feet outside of Petaluma, CA. All they can get is a T1 line at 3Mbps. The Internet availability is pathetic in this country. Give me a disk. I can't wait days to download and install Lion on five Macs.

Beyond thinking they did not try very hard, that is more then adequate to download a 3.6gb file in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

I have plenty of install CDs that are still good. One uses a CD install disk maybe once and it gets put away. Why would they fail?

Meanwhile, I have a client moving into a new facility of 50,000 square feet outside of Petaluma, CA. All they can get is a T1 line at 3Mbps. The Internet availability is pathetic in this country. Give me a disk. I can't wait days to download and install Lion on five Macs.

So you can't set up either disc images or machine images on a bootable HD to do these installs? I watched last night as a team of people at the local Apple store walked around with HDs installing Lion on the desktops and laptops. For that matter, you have Apple Remote as well. Are you a problems provider or a solutions provider for your clients?
  • Reply 27 of 56
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    At least Apple is still selling the hard copy online if you want it (didn't pull a FCS and shred everything before people could get the last ones they might want) - but the handwriting (Mac Mini doesn't have internal DVD option now) is on the wall.

If you like physical media you better get everything you want from Apple (online or resellers or eBay) sooner (who knows how long they'll be reselling physical) rather than later because the hard copy will go away from online at some point here.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

But it is much easier to replace a CD than the internet. Plus, after you use the CD, put it in a sleeve and file it safely away. How is the disc going to fail exactly?

In which case your CDs warp and ripple and the internet doesn't care......
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

At least Apple is still selling the hard copy online if you want it (didn't pull a FCS and shred everything before people could get the last ones they might want) - but the handwriting (Mac Mini doesn't have internal DVD option now) is on the wall.

If you like physical media you better get everything you want from Apple (online or resellers or eBay) sooner (who knows how long they'll be reselling physical) rather than later because the hard copy will go away from online at some point here.

Which is fine if you are saving the current version, but meaningless for future versions
  • Reply 30 of 56
    nomadmacnomadmac Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

So you can't set up either disc images or machine images on a bootable HD to do these installs? I watched last night as a team of people at the local Apple store walked around with HDs installing Lion on the desktops and laptops. For that matter, you have Apple Remote as well. Are you a problems provider or a solutions provider for your clients?

So you're giving me permission to bootleg Lion for all my customers? Thanks!
  • Reply 31 of 56
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Look up "bit rot" in regard to optical media.

You don't even have to use it, the optical disc can degrade over time, even if stored in a cool, dark place. And the older your CD/DVD, the more likely it has begun to degrade, depending on the type of dye used, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Look up "bit rot" in regard to optical media.

You don't even have to use it, the optical disc can degrade over time, even if stored in a cool, dark place. And the older your CD/DVD, the more likely it has begun to degrade, depending on the type of dye used, etc.

Are you referring to a pressed or a burned disc? Burned discs such as writable and re-writable can suffer some terrible life expectancies. Whenever I bust out my burned ISO discs, I don't even expect the disc to work anymore.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtux View Post

"all those legacy customers" = "dwinding few". The last PowerPC Macs were retired nearly five years ago. The average lifespan of a PC is three years. You do the math.

People don't appreciate software out-dating their hardware, especially those that don't wish to upgrade (eg. Seniors). The "dwindling few" get created everytime that happens, and I think Apple thinks three years is being generous. If you bought the last PowerPC, SL left you in the dust. now Lion is leaving Leopard in the dust. In PC world, you could still run stuff, it would just be slower, but Apple moves much faster. If they move too fast, they essentially need to rewin their customers every 3 years. "Switch to PC" campaigns would probably work as easily as "Switch to Mac".
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Wouldn't it be nice if the apple stores just threw them all in a 50% off bin to get rid of them? :-)
  • Reply 35 of 56
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

CD's fail more often than the Internet.

Rubbish. If you take care of a pressed CD they will last a lifetime, but the Internet is reliant on so many external factors, and in the cases of some countries, a single cable linking you to the outside world...
  • Reply 36 of 56
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Those on PowerPC architecture have fewer means to purchase software as they have no access to the MAS. It's a strike against software companies moving to MAS-only distribution as they will lose all those legacy customers. They already can't sell you iOS apps without going through the App store.

Yeah but if you are on a PowerPC Mac the majority of new software isn't going to work on your computer anyway.

Also, unlike iOS, nothing is preventing companies from selling software online or offline outside of the Mac App Store.

I realize that PowerPC macs are still perfectly good but really they've been discontinued for 5 years now and OS support has been gone for a few as well.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Rubbish. If you take care of a pressed CD they will last a lifetime, but the Internet is reliant on so many external factors, and in the cases of some countries, a single cable linking you to the outside world...

If it's that big of a deal get the USB stick edition of Lion then.

I have no DVD drive on my desktop because they are slower, bigger, and less reliable and spacious than my USB flash drives. I installed Windows 7 via a USB stick even. My USB drive is scratched to all hell and of course it still works!

It wasn't mentioned if Apple was discontinuing disc software in foreign countries (hint: they are probably not!). In the US it is literally impossible to disconnect the internet because there are so many connections (I read that even the government couldn't do it if they tried)

As another article describes, all you have to do is buy Lion, download it, and quit the install before it starts. Then you can just copy the installer from the Applications folder and do whatever you want with it.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    One of the top 10 funny comments on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

But it is much easier to replace a CD than the internet.

• Reply 39 of 56
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pflau View Post

You mean you can buy downloadable software from other companies besides Apple?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

You mean you can buy downloadable software from other companies besides Apple?

Downloadable software has been available for years. Apple is just taking it to next level and making it the exclusive way to get their software. It is very cost efficient. Apple owns the software anyway. You are just purchasing a license to use it. This will cut down on piracy of Apple software. This new process gives them more control of their intellectual property. I think they are very smart for doing this. Watch, other companies will follow.