Review Roundup: Mainstream press calls Mac OS X Lion 'radical,' 'big leap' into iPad era

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

I have great doubt in your statements. I'm running Lion on last years 1.6Ghz 11.6" MBA and I have no speed problems whatsoever.

That's because on computer that slow you never actually experienced "speed" . On my 8 core Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM Lion is noticeably slower than Snow Leopard.

Stupid animations for opening new app windows are total waste of time. Too many usability regressions and paradigm shifts (breakages) are just too much. I wish they would break OS X into two, technology fearing ignorati get OS X home and UNIX geeks get OS X Pro, but it will never happen.

It's really time to re-think my computing needs. Obviously using Apple computers for all my needs is no longer viable.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I would think the next name is obvious. Mountain Lion or Cougar (the cat, not the older woman).

A cougar is similar to a Puma which is the name of 10.1. The only big cat that they haven't used yet is the extinct Sabretooth. But the Lion is the king of cats, and I don't see Apple going downwards, even less to an extinct species.

I agree with the earlier post guessing that the next version will be OS11 - and I'm looking so much forward to it!

But how do you think it will live up to the natural expectations of it being dramatically different from OSX?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Also, I doubt 10.8 is around the corner, as it looks like Apple plans to update 10.7 for quite a while. Plus, what cat comes after Lion? They'd need a new naming convention and a move to 11.x.

Voltron.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onepal View Post

All those changes could have been done with a simple update, I don't it required a new OS.

And what up with inverting the mouse wheel scrolling. I am not all that impressed yet.

So it you haven't upgraded yet, don't waste your money, wait until they put out something more worth while.

What a pathetic attempt at trolling. 250+ features could have been added in an update- really? Pretty much every single review agrees that $30 is dirt cheap for this upgrade. Oh, and it takes 5 seconds to disable reverse scrolling in settings- but of course you wouldn't know that, since I doubt you even have or have used Lion.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    charley2charley2 Posts: 10member
    I was about to download Lion until I read Adobe's list of productivity suite breaks, even some Photoshop features. Apple is going too far with the Adobe feud.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley2 View Post

I was about to download Lion until I read Adobe's list of productivity suite breaks, even some Photoshop features. Apple is going too far with the Adobe feud.

I think you have this a bit backwards... I don't think an OS has ever been written to specifically run an individual piece of software or software suite. This isn't a matter of Apple intentionally coding OS X to cause grief for Adobe, that would be simply ludicrous. Nice conspiracy theory though.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a pathetic attempt at trolling. 250+ features could have been added in an update- really? Pretty much every single review agrees that $30 is dirt cheap for this upgrade. Oh, and it takes 5 seconds to disable reverse scrolling in settings- but of course you wouldn't know that, since I doubt you even have or have used Lion.

Seems like it was an excellent attempt at trolling. He got you worked up enough to reply to a guy with only two posts.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Absolutely not. You can install Java. Just like before you can drag apps into the applications folder. Nothing new here. Just that App Store makes your life easier, a click and you've got the app downloaded to your folder, added to Launchpad, ready to go. Updates, you're covered. Don't have to find and manage serial numbers, etc.

Obviously, right now you can. I was merely speaking of the future, based on the direction that Apple is going with Lion.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Sorry, tried Lion and was thoroughly disappointed. To me this is Apple's Vista. I don't share their personal computing vision either, do I'm staying with SL until my hardware is too outdated. At that point it's back to square one, and most likely Apple will not be one of the contenders for my next upgrade cycle.

Cool, none cares. Personally, I'm using pretty much every single of one Lion's major features on a daily basis and it has definitely improved my enjoyment and efficiency.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    damensdamens Posts: 35member
    Unfortunately, some of the problems mentioned in this article are longer term problems for Apple which they have not yet addressed in Lion - the continuous drop in Wi-Fi communications was a problem with 2010 iMacs and is now an (unresolved and unacknowledged) problem with 2011 iMacs running both Snow Leopard and Lion.

When I "upgraded" my 3.1 Macbook Pro to Snow Leopard the DVD burn stopped working on various media (though it still worked fine when running Vista in Bootcamp). I upgraded to a 27 inch 2011 iMac with all the upgrades (apart from SSD drive) and find that not only can I still not burn DVD's, I can't remain connected to Wi-Fi (this time Windows 7 on Bootcamp has no problem).

For the first time since the Classic II, I have to say that an Apple operating system is WORSE than Microsoft's (at least when it comes to the basic, and important, tasks of connecting to the internet and burning DVD media). That applied to Snow Leopard, however from the Apple Support forums dealing with Lion I can see that these two problems are still an issue for Apple, when they are functions one would have expected of any computer even 10 years ago !
  • Reply 51 of 52
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwangel View Post

A cougar is similar to a Puma which is the name of 10.1. The only big cat that they haven't used yet is the extinct Sabretooth. But the Lion is the king of cats, and I don't see Apple going downwards, even less to an extinct species.

You forgot the Domestic Short Hair and Domestic Long Hair.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ligers are bigger, although might produce some bad analogies.