Apple leases 1,300-worker Cupertino office space amid growth surge

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it could work, any city with a good base of design and technical talent might work well. I wonder how much it really matters to have all your design & development facilities in one city. The reasons I can think of are more emotional in an age of video conferencing, screen sharing and next day air shipping eating away at the logical reasons for centralized design.

While that might work for the "traditional management style" of most of the competition, I think, based on all of the many books and articles I've read on Apple and Steve Jobs, his style of management is "different" than most. His penchant for "dropping in" on anybody at anytime to "discuss" various projects might not lend itself to video conferencing. It's too easy to be "away from your desk" on video. Video conferencing has to be more structured than Apple seems to "like to do things". imo

P.S. cloudglazer brings up another point in above post.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

80% of 150 acres will be landscaped. That's 120 acres!!!! You have shortage of land yet u are using those lands for landscaping. Don't u have better option, Steve?

I don't know why i'm responding to a guy who thinks he's smart but spells "you" as "u", but here it goes anyway...

The land is already filled with office parks. Apple will demolish the office parks and then rebuild and re-landscape. There will be more people working there but yet less space devoted to surface parking. Much of the parking will be moved under ground. It is the decrease in surface parking that will make room for the green space.