Filing reveals Apple's unique dual-screen e-ink reader concept

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung has a tech called liquivista that has 30fps refresh e ink. it can also slow down it's fps to just 1fps. It dynamically adjusts to the contents of the screen , drastically saving power consumption. It is also directly visible under the sun light. It is also color.

Perhaps Apple should suck it's pride and license this tech from Samsung?

Because Apple doesn't have any patents regarding display tech, they are using form factor as a way around it. Sneaky.

You realise if Apple wants eInk displays from Samsung they will just buy them right? No need to license the tech. Apple is very happy for Samsung to keep making shiny components that it can use, so long as it loses its foolish notion of competing as a manufacturer of consumer products

Apple doesn't need patents on display tech, because Apple doesn't make display panels
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

To this day, I don't see why Amazon and Apple can't team up on this more effectively.

The only reason Apple offers books is to sell devices. The only reason Amazon offers devices is to sell books.

Amazon will never be the hardware expert that Apple is.

Seems like the best device with the best content would be a win for everyone (even if the device was a smaller, lighter, focused-on-reading iPad.)

Actually both companies need to sell both books and devices because that's the only way to have control over both the devices and the contents. That's because profit comes after control, there's no (economic) profit without some sort of monopoly so both companies are trying hard to get to that.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Actually both companies need to sell both books and devices because that's the only way to have control over both the devices and the contents. That's because profit comes after control, there's no (economic) profit without some sort of monopoly so both companies are trying hard to get to that.

I think if Amazon wanted to control both device and content, they wouldn't have created Kindle programs for multiple portable platforms.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    I think it's possible a dual e-ink display isn't Apple's true intention with this patent. I think they may be hiding a possible feature for new iPads.

Imagine an iPad smart cover with a flexible e-Ink display on the inside. Open the cover, Launch iBooks, flip the device over and the LCD powers down and shifts output to the e-ink display. The iPads motion and touch controls remain active, so you can flip pages by bumping the device right or left, or by swiping your fingers on the back (LCD touchscreen) of the iPad. It's now a touchscreen kindle.

Open the device like a book and the e-ink display becomes a secondary display, So you can do things like see an email conversation on the e-ink display, while writing a response on the LCD touchscreen.

The e-ink smart cover gets power and data from a magsafe style connector in the middle of one side of the iPad. This can be easily disconnected, so If you want, you can rip the cover off. flip it over and reattach it (so the e-ink display is on the outside while closed.) Now the iPad detects the cover is on, but the e-ink display is facing outward, so it displays iOS 5's notification center on the e-ink display. Since e-ink displays only consume power when refreshing, you can now always see your alerts without opening the device and powering on the LCD.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    I think it's a fine idea. Appeals to my sense of space. Like a portal gun.

It'd have to be really light, durable, and cheap, though. Something you can toss around. Something for students.