Teardown of Apple's new Mac Mini reveals space for second hard drive

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Personally, I don't understand them ditching the optical drive. Strategically, obviously it has to do with driving everything to digital downloads. Got to hand it to Apple, it can be extremely frustrating but they really don't worry about getting sales from people that they're not likely to get sales from... Blue ocean all the way.

So your forever tied to the fantastic APP store and i-tunes.

I hated it too . Until all my old lost APPS came back to me on 4 different computers from the app store.

for free, They just down loaded by them self .

Its a fair trade off , but i have now have thousand of discs and getting them in good condition is hard.

Apple sells a external Disc drive and the Mac-Mini now has a secound drive . !!

Apple want's all your money .

So your forced to buy all your media and apps from Apple .

To me its a fair trade off .

• Reply 42 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

So your forced to buy all your media and apps from Apple .

For the Mac, that's only partly true. While you can only get Lion and first party apps from Apple's App Store, you can get a lot of apps from anywhere else you choose, direct from the developer or even on competing app stores, should anyone make one. MacUpdate is a repository for a lot of software. It's probably less convenient and not as well laid out, but that's very different from being forced to only use Apple's store for all your apps.

By the same token, you can get media elsewhere, it's just that Apple is the most convenient place to get it. You can get unencrypted music from anywhere else, and there are services that provide streaming music apps for iOS and Mac.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

For the Mac, that's only partly true. While you can only get Lion and first party apps from Apple's App Store, you can get a lot of apps from anywhere else you choose, direct from the developer or even on competing app stores, should anyone make one. MacUpdate is a repository for a lot of software. It's probably less convenient and not as well laid out, but that's very different from being forced to only use Apple's store for all your apps.

By the same token, you can get media elsewhere, it's just that Apple is the most convenient place to get it. You can get unencrypted music from anywhere else, and there are services that provide streaming music apps for iOS and Mac.

Sorry i was too strong on my talk .

Its so easy to use Apple Apps/i-tunes

But yes most of my stuff was from other places.

but now i am all Apple .

• Reply 44 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Personally, I don't understand them ditching the optical drive. Strategically, obviously it has to do with driving everything to digital downloads. Got to hand it to Apple, it can be extremely frustrating but they really don't worry about getting sales from people that they're not likely to get sales from... Blue ocean all the way.

They explain it on their marketing page:

"Mac mini is designed without an optical disc drive. Because these days, you don?t need one. It?s easier than ever to download music and movies from the iTunes Store. And you can download apps from the Mac App Store with a click. So what did we do with all the extra space? We squeezed in more powerful processors, advanced graphics, and Thunderbolt technology. And removing the optical drive gave us room to do one more thing with Mac mini: lower its price. If you still want to burn discs, consider the external MacBook Air SuperDrive, which connects to Mac mini with a USB cable."

http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

This is pretty much what I and many others have been wanting to happen for years. Ditch the optical, lower the price by $100, get quad-cores and dedicated GPUs. If you need DVD, buy a $30 drive (you save $70); if you want Blu-Ray, get a $180 drive and you've upgraded to Blu-Ray for $80 compared to the previous model.

They didn't skimp on the GPU either. The VRAM could have been higher but 256MB is generally fine and the 6630M is pretty fast. Not quite at the level of the desktop 5770 like maybe the 6770M would be but enough to run any game out today at a good quality setting and great for compute performance (320M = 120GFLOPs, 6630M = 480GFLOPs).

The 5770 on OpenCL Luxmark scores 2222:

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMar...encl-gpus-only

6750M scores 1052 and I'd expect the 6630M to score about 850. The 320M and 9600M GT are close so around 250. It's interesting to see the MBP core i7 quad get over 2500 though. The latest processors from Intel outperform almost all of the mobile GPUs. It's not really a vs match of course as you use both together and get a 50-100% speed boost for free but interesting nonetheless. Even in the top iMac, the i7 outperforms the 6970M:

http://barefeats.com/imac11b.html

Anyway, think what we'll get in the Mini next year. Quad-cores, 8 threads across the board and we don't have to be stuck with Intel's crummy graphics. At the end of the year, AMD move from 40nm Whistler to 28nm Chelsea for their 7000M series and they expect double the performance.

What more do you even need with the current Mini? You get Thunderbolt for RAID storage, HDMI output, a dedicated GPU for a good gaming experience, dual-core i5/i7 processors (quad if you can live with Intel IGP) and fairly easy access to the HDD so you can replace it with SSD or add one on top. Hopefully, they will offer an mSATA port when SSD hits $1 per GB and then you can opt to have a 128GB boot disk along with the 500GB drive for storage.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

a new Finder window after a while will cause the whole system to hang for a few seconds as the external USB drive starts to spin.

In System Prefs you can set the drives to not spin down.

Quote:

When I disconnect the drive, everything's cool, but of course you can't just disconnect an internal drive.

I use the DU in /Applications/Utilities to unmount an internal drive. Do it every day actually since my 2TB WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS drive makes a lot of noise, the desk even vibrates.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Oh no! First Apple, now Ford.

Goodbye CDs.

===========

Ford To Leave CD Player Out Of New Model

July 27, 2011

Ford has become the first major auto manufacturer to announce plans to ditch the CD player in favor of digital music access for drivers. According to reports, Ford's newest Focus model will leave out the CD player and instead include a USB port for digital music players to be plugged in.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Oh no!

Oh YES.

Quote:

Ford To Leave CD Player Out Of New Model

Good. Let it be the start of something big.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

It feels that a NAS (possibly with RAID) would be sufficient?

It would, but I also want to manage file access, do email hosting for the family, and possibly host a website at some point.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In System Prefs you can set the drives to not spin down.

If you mean unchecking the option in Energy Saver that says "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible," this does not help me either. Just yesterday I highlighted some image files, right-clicked, highlighted "open with..." and then waited a full four seconds for the menu to appear.

Maybe it's the fact that these are external? Or because they're Western Digital? I just want to know that, if I buy he dual drive option Mini, that I won't have to put up with this stuff. :/
  • Reply 50 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

If you mean unchecking the option in Energy Saver that says "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible," this does not help me either. Just yesterday I highlighted some image files, right-clicked, highlighted "open with..." and then waited a full four seconds for the menu to appear.

Maybe it's the fact that these are external? Or because they're Western Digital? I just want to know that, if I buy he dual drive option Mini, that I won't have to put up with this stuff. :/

Yep, THE Finder Will always startup all drives on a 'File Open...' or a 'Safe as...' action. I think you can only prevent that by either first create a file on the SSD and then save when needed or unmount the HDD first. But I agree that it is annoying and I don't have a good solution as well. Some software does have a default file location, maybe you can set that in the software prefs.