Lion will not run many applications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

You will be surprised to hear that I have been a Mac user for over 25 years, I do try and keep up with the Mac press, and in particular this forum.

Somehow this went right by me in my enthusiasm to get my free Lion upgrade on my newly purchased iMac.

Was not surprised about old games etc, but do care about MS Office and Quicken.

Would have been nice to have a list of things that would not work.

Am assuming the newer versions of MS Office will work and it is about time I upgraded

Meantime, it does look like most of my files can be accessed correctly by their iWork equivalents.

Unfortunately Quicken is a problem..

As you point out there are many posts that I see now, showing Intuit are not providing a version that is as complete as Quicken 2007. Luckily I have a laptop that is not yet converted and backups so can retrieve the Quicken data and hopefully export it into something else. I think many people will be caught out by this.

I am quite surprised to hear that, because anyone who reads forums even occasionally should know. It's also not reasonable to suspect that software over 5 years old is just going to work with a new OS. The lack of PPC support was announced from the beginning. Why is it Apple's job to give you an ALL CAPS warning about software you should have upgraded anyway?

MS Office: I bought 2011 before upgrading. I was running V.x and knew I needed to upgrade anyway (couldn't interact with newer Open Document format (.docx, xlsx). This is an essential upgrade. You can't expect nearly 8 year old software (or older in my case) to just work forever as you upgrade your system (something you chose to do, not Apple).

AOL Mail? Are you kidding? Let me guess...you can't get Internet Explorer to work either?

And what is this nonsense about "having to purchase them again?" You're not purchasing them again. You're buying vastly better versions. If you can afford a new Mac, you can afford the $120 for a singe user home and student Office, or $200 for the more robust version. Office 2011 is SO much more capable than 2008, 2004 or V.x it's not even funny.

Quote:

I think many people will be caught out by this.

Then many people are completely ignorant.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    If you're not a geek you deserve what you get. Case closed.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Quicken Essential is trash. It doesn't even print checks or do reports, something every version of Quicken has done for 15 years.

It does both those things.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

It does both those things.

Apparently they have retuned the check print functionality in the most recent version but the reporting is still very primative. It is still a major step backwards from versions of Quicken available ten years ago. This has to be the worst received Mac software of all time.

http://download.cnet.com/Quicken-Ess...08622.html?v=1

An insult to Mac users really, and not something we should be forced to buy because there's nothing else.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Was there a valid reason not to include Rosetta?

Forcing you to repurchase apps you already paid for – generating revenue that is 99% profit – is a valid corporate reason.

The music industry has been doing it for 3 generations. Cutely calling them 'evergreens'. And getting you to fork over for the rights of the original again and again with every 'new' rendition or public performance. An m.o. that made them juggernauts.