First look: Apple's new 11 and 13 inch Thunderbolt MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

I don't see why an usb media is so important.

For people without fast (or any) Internet connection.

Quote:

you can download os X on demand, you can do that EVEN without any data on the internal storage,

But you can't do it even without Internet access.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Very bad in fact.

First; hidden part ions can be exploited by virus writers. Second; drives fail. Third; it wastes space p, especially on AIRs where space is extremely limited.

Supposedly this gives the machine the ability to restore right over the Internet. OK; so what do you do if the partition on the drive isn't restorable? Yeah I know sometimes it is but a un repairable drive is not uncommon.

From Apples standpoint I can see some positives. For one it allows a restore even if the user doesn't have his dongle with him. Let's have a show of hands - how many know where their USB key is right now?

Apple could easily address this by simply offering a utility to build a recovery drive on a USB dongle or an SD card.

I know it's rough, but they will offer a USB OS very soon.... You won't need your key, internet connection, or anything else other than just your computer. Just plug in and get going.

Sounds tough to me too!...
  • Reply 43 of 79
    res1233res1233 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I tend to agree with the former. I suppose anything on physical media is becoming irrelevant nowadays, but I would have appreciated (at least on build-to-order) an option to include it. Usually the first thing I do on a new Mac is wipe it out a couple times to test the re-install process. Since I'm purchasing Lion for my 2009 i7 iMac, I'll just make a boot disk when I download it. I'll wait and see as to how much actual space the recovery partition is. 256GB is not much in the big picture.

I just placed my order for the new i7 MBA and a couple things about the new model raises my eyebrow. The lack of physical recovery media, and the integrated graphics using a portion of the valuable 4GB system ram. I use my current 2010 MBA religiously at the office to run both OSX and Windows 7 (via VMWare) and using system ram is not cool. I'll save my judgement until I have a chance to test my current MBA alongside my new MBA with the same configuration.

So far, the reviews look great. I hope my concerns are unwarranted. It should arrive by the end of the week so hopefully, graphics reviews will be positive. I do love the NVidia performance of my current MBA and hope the new one is just as good.

You obviously don't know a whole lot about how IGPs work. They all use system RAM instead of their own. The dedicated DDR3 talked about in this article does sound misleading, but the RAM was taken from the system's pool of DDR3 with the 320m in the previous air. Same deal with the 9400m in my '08 MacBook.

EDIT: It does sound like Intel's IGP doesn't have a specific amount dedicated to it though, if I am reading it correctly.

EDIT2: Well, regardless of how I'm reading it, it seems that the amount dedicated to the HD 3k is 256MB in the $999 11-inch model and 384MB in the $1199 model and the 13''. For some reason AI doesn't seem to mention that fact.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

" This shift, along with the faster 133MHz DDR3 RAM bus (up from 1066MHz DDR3 RAM in use on the Airs since late 2008)"

That should read 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM

As first Reported (TM) by me on AppleInsider on July 23rd 2011

Good one LOL (i.e., with regard to the "As first reported"
  • Reply 45 of 79
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    None of the first few pages of posters at least have mentioned that if you max out the 11" to the i7 CPU and 256 GB of SSD, it's only $50 less than the top end 13"!! ($1699 vs. 1649).

For that paltry diff, I'd take the screen real estate every time unless I had a really specific reason for lugging the smaller version around instead of the the bigger.....
  • Reply 46 of 79
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

None of the first few pages of posters at least have mentioned that if you max out the 11" to the i7 CPU and 256 GB of SSD, it's only $50 less than the top end 13"!! ($1699 vs. 1649).

For that paltry diff, I'd take the screen real estate every time unless I had a really specific reason for lugging the smaller version around instead of the the bigger.....

I bought my 13" i7 MBA just a couple days ago and awaiting its arrival. Before I bought it, I noticed the exact same thing with the $50 price difference and decided to go (back) to the 13" simply because of the extra real-estate. At $50, it was a no-brainer.

Interesting that the two prices are so close together yet not really mentioned. At that point, it really does come down to physical size and the user preferring that over anything else.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    res1233res1233 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I bought my 13" i7 MBA just a couple days ago and awaiting its arrival. Before I bought it, I noticed the exact same thing with the $50 price difference and decided to go (back) to the 13" simply because of the extra real-estate. At $50, it was a no-brainer.

Interesting that the two prices are so close together yet not really mentioned. At that point, it really does come down to physical size and the user preferring that over anything else.

Bigger screen, longer battery life and SD card slot: A no-brainer indeed.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    I have two 26 inch 1920x1280 displays with HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports. Is there a way I could connect these to a new MacBook Air? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have never owned a Mac but am considering it.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

I have two 26 inch 1920x1280 displays with HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports. Is there a way I could connect these to a new MacBook Air? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have never owned a Mac but am considering it.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI adapter.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

Via Thunderbolt.* Sure you are smart enough to go from there.

You did, "Just bought Extreme Base Station 2 months ago." What did you hook it up to?

*http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/
  • Reply 51 of 79
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Recovery partitions, wut? You people are crazy. Hey let's all be stuck in the 90's with our HD worrywart behavior. Maybe you need to manually defragment your drive for no reason too. Hey I think I got a stack of 800k floppies around here somewhere for my most precious data.

Give me a break. The solutions you seek are called Lion Internet restore and iCloud. Failure rates on these drives? You're more likely to have the screen die. Performance concerns? You aren't paying attention to benchmarks. I read an amazing amount of theoretical nonsense from concerns mired in another decade.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    recrec Posts: 217member
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

Apple is clearly saying cd's and dvd's are no longer part of the Apple way with Lion. This stuff has no future according to them.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

Apple is clearly saying cd's and dvd's are no longer part of the Apple way with Lion. This stuff has no future according to them.

Probably because disc media doesn't have a future at all.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willyme View Post

The performance of the machines look great, but it could be deceptive. The laptops scale down performance if in danger of overheating, or so Apple claims. So my question is this; What is the performance of these laptops like when used for an extended period of time. Like with, for example, a game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gaming. On a MacBook Air.

With Intel graphics. \
  • Reply 55 of 79
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

...Apple not including media is like Lexus or BMW not including a spare tire...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

BMW offers cars with run-flat tires and no spare. I don't know about Lexus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kirksan View Post

You really are behind the times, mate. BMW hasn't included spares in years. The run flat tires are good for 50 miles at 50MPH.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdizzle View Post

BMWs haven't had spare tires for years.

Off-topic: Why does everyone keep spelling tyre with an i? Aren't there enough i's in this Apple i-obsessed world already? \
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Off-topic: Why does everyone keep spelling tyre with an i? Aren't there enough i's in this Apple i-obsessed world already? \

To be fair, I spell it grey, but that's only because I lived in Greystones for a while.

Yes, the real one, not an American one.

And I say zed, but THAT'S because of how much cooler that is than Z.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gaming. On a MacBook Air.

Lol, I guess you're right. That said, it is better than my '06 MacBook...
  • Reply 58 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Ask you self why, you changed it.

Quote:

Tyre (UK), Tire (US)

The outer portion of a wheel, which contacts the road or the rail and may be made of metal or rubber. In Canada as in the US. Tire is the older spelling, but both were used in the 15th and 16th centuries (for a metal tire). Tire became the settled spelling in the 17th century but tyre was revived in the UK in the 19th century for rubber / pneumatic tyres, possibly because it was used in some patent documents,[159] though many continued to use tire for the iron variety. The Times newspaper was still using tire as late as 1905. For the verb meaning "to grow weary" both American and British English use the tire spelling exclusively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ng_differences

• Reply 59 of 79
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius

Off-topic: Why does everyone keep spelling tyre with an i? Aren't there enough i's in this Apple i-obsessed world already?

Ask you self why, you changed it.

Quote:

Tyre (UK), Tire (US)

The outer portion of a wheel, which contacts the road or the rail and may be made of metal or rubber. In Canada as in the US. Tire is the older spelling, but both were used in the 15th and 16th centuries (for a metal tire). Tire became the settled spelling in the 17th century but tyre was revived in the UK in the 19th century for rubber / pneumatic tyres, possibly because it was used in some patent documents,[159] though many continued to use tire for the iron variety. The Times newspaper was still using tire as late as 1905. For the verb meaning "to grow weary" both American and British English use the tire spelling exclusively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ng_differences

Thanks for enlightening me (no sarcasm intended). I had no idea about that.

I've always known it spelt as tyre, and have never seen it as tire so it looked odd when so many people were spelling it as such.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prw View Post

Well, I suppose you could buy an external USB hard drive, you know, like you'd use for backup, and clone the internal drive to it. Then start the MacBook Air from it, run Disk Utility and use that to ZERO the internal SSD drive. Shutdown, disconnect external drive, restart, and restore the base condition from the recovery partition and an ethernet connection.

Is that too complicated ?

It's an awful lot of hoops versus supplying a $2 thumb drive, don't you think?