AT&T preparing for mid-Sept. launch of Apple's iPhone 5 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's longest running carrier partner, AT&T, is preparing for a mid-September launch of the fifth-generation iPhone, according to a new report.



Citing a "proven source," Boy Genius Report said on Monday that AT&T has begun communicating with its employees that the company's retail stores are expected to see a great deal of foot traffic in September. Those workers have been asked to finish any employee training as soon as possible.



AT&T's moves are said to be related to an upcoming iPhone launch, with the handset expected to be announced in late August and go on sale in the first half of September. BGR has a respectable track record with regard to Apple's partnerships with wireless carriers, based on its sources in the wireless industry.



The report aligns with a separate recent scoop from MacRumors, which said that Apple is recruiting former employees to return part-time between Aug. 15 and Sept. 15. While the increase could be simply for back-to-school sales, it's also possible the dates could correspond with a new iPhone launch.



Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone is expected to arrive this fall, alongside iOS 5, the next-generation version of the company's mobile operating system. During the company's quarterly earnings call last week, Apple executives revealed that they are planning a major product transition to occur by the end of September.







In years past, new iPhone launches have occurred in the June-July timeframe. But this year, Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference did not serve as an introduction to a new iPhone model.



Signs of a forthcoming iPhone launch have been growing, as Apple's suppliers are said to have been gearing up to manufacture a fifth-generation handset. While Monday's latest rumors suggest the device will launch in September, earlier rumors had pegged a new iPhone to debut as late as October.



Reports have suggested the new iPhone will be thinner and lighter than the current iPhone 4, and it will also sport an 8-megapixel camera. According to The Wall Street Journal, it will feature new wireless baseband chips from Qualcomm, and Apple reportedly hopes to build 25 million units by the end of 2011.



Claims that AT&T is privy to the launch date of the next iPhone come only days after the chief executive of rival carrier Verizon said his company had "assumed" that Apple would release a new iPhone early in the summer as it has done in years past. Lowell McAdam said last week that Apple's new iPhone will debut "a little bit later in the year now."
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 27
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    will probably be LTE as well, qualcomm's LTE and everything in one radio chips are supposed to start shipping soon
  • Reply 2 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 42,969member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    will probably be LTE as well



    Why?



    1. Power draw.

    2. Lack of LTE networks anywhere.

    3. Size of chips.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    kurtmackurtmac Posts: 11member
    I wouldn't think that the new iPhone would be released before iOS 5 & we all know that iOS 5 is coming this autumn (September 23 or later).



    Also I have deep suspicions about the following line: <<Those workers have been asked to finish any employee training as soon as possible.>> What? We are still in late July, not the beginning of September, and wouldn't AT&T be in control of training their employees anyways? Something is not right about this rumor (as well as many other rumors).
  • Reply 4 of 27
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Funny I was just about to comment on the recent lack of speculation surrounding the next gen iPhone. I suppose that could simply be attributable to the recent activity on the Mac OS X side of things with Lion and the Air and Mini refreshes. It would be really nice to see the rumor mill pick up with news of an Apple conference center reservation or something. At least that would give us a date to look forward to for some kind of announcement.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post


    I wouldn't think that the new iPhone would be released before iOS 5 & we all know that iOS 5 is coming this autumn (September 23 or later).



    Also I have deep suspicions about the following line: <<Those workers have been asked to finish any employee training as soon as possible.>> What? We are still in late July, not the beginning of September, and wouldn't AT&T be in control of training their employees anyways? Something is not right about this rumor (as well as many other rumors).



    ATT is in charge of their employee training. I think this is referring to a directive within ATT from upstairs to their store managers to have employee training complete by date X. That part of the rumor is completely believable.



    As to everyone expecting the launch in "autumn"... I know that an announcement was made about iOS5 not coming to a phone near you until fall, but me thinks this might just be a bit of a play by Apple. They have set the expectation of fall, and now people are looking at their calendars and thinking last week of September at the earliest. Apple could swing it out early September to lots of people being happy about the "early" release.



    The only real good news is that we SHOULD know something more concrete in the next few weeks. Of course, this is also the bad news.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


    ATT is in charge of their employee training. I think this is referring to a directive within ATT from upstairs to their store managers to have employee training complete by date X. That part of the rumor is completely believable.



    You beat me to it . Yep, exactly that.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,006member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post


    I wouldn't think that the new iPhone would be released before iOS 5 & we all know that iOS 5 is coming this autumn (September 23 or later).



    Also I have deep suspicions about the following line: <<Those workers have been asked to finish any employee training as soon as possible.>> What? We are still in late July, not the beginning of September, and wouldn't AT&T be in control of training their employees anyways? Something is not right about this rumor (as well as many other rumors).



    You have the new iPhone. It offers... Who knows but it offers something to get people standing in lines for 10 hours all over the nation to get one.



    Then....



    1-2 months later, you provide a boost to demand with the new OS and get people standing in line for 1 hour all over the nation to get the phone with the new OS. Those that did not want the phone without the new OS simply wait. Great headlines.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Why?



    1. Power draw.

    2. Lack of LTE networks anywhere.

    3. Size of chips.



    The new chips referred to are supposed to address these complaints though. (except the lack of networks of course).



    If those chips are available, and if they work as advertised, it would be worth putting them in because it would make iPhone 5 a single world-phone that would operate on any band or frequency, CDMA, GSM, and LTE all in one. It sounds almost impossible to me, but is certainly worth doing if they can do it.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post


    I wouldn't think that the new iPhone would be released before iOS 5 & we all know that iOS 5 is coming this autumn (September 23 or later)....



    I haven't heard this specific date before, could you tell us where you got it?



    All I've heard is that it will be out in "the fall" which could be anything from mid-August onwards really.



    Edit: nevermind, I see you are using the astronomical definition of the Fall season (Sept 23rd), there are many other definitions of Fall or autumn however and the astronomical one is quite new. For most of the history of western civilisation for example (up to about 50 years ago or so), Fall begins in early to mid August.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    ivladivlad Posts: 735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    The new chips referred to are supposed to address these complaints though. (except the lack of networks of course).



    If those chips are available, and if they work as advertised, it would be worth putting them in because it would make iPhone 5 a single world-phone that would operate on any band or frequency, CDMA, GSM, and LTE all in one. It sounds almost impossible to me, but is certainly worth doing if they can do it.



    It does sound like something Apple would do. They already hate having two different iPhones, having all in one would solve all of their nightmares.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    ivladivlad Posts: 735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I haven't heard this specific date before, could you tell us where you got it?



    All I've heard is that it will be out in "the fall" which could be anything from mid-August onwards really.



    Edit: nevermind, I see you are using the astronomical definition of the Fall season (Sept 23rd), there are many other definitions of Fall or autumn however and the astronomical one is quite new. For most of the history of western civilisation for example (up to about 50 years ago or so), Fall begins in early to mid August.



    Fall in mid August? What?

    Here in America fall begins on September 23rd. Maybe in Alaska it begins in August, but it's still hot out.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 42,969member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    the astronomical one is quite new.



    Yeah, it has only been used for about a century or so.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post


    Fall in mid August? What?

    Here in America fall begins on September 23rd. Maybe in Alaska it begins in August, but it's still hot out.



    For plenty of people around the world midsummer's day is still the middle of summer, not the beginning - and likewise midwinter. Heck I don't see them changing the words of the carol to 'In the bleak beginning of astronomical winter' anytime soon
  • Reply 14 of 27
    "company's retail stores are expected to see a great deal of foot traffic in September"



    Time to get those signs ready and stand close to an ATT store. Proven best way to generate traffic back to your Site.



    This time, I'm going to hold a sign with a QR on it and see how many ATT customers will scan it and land on my site
  • Reply 15 of 27
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    AT&T preparing for mid-Sept. launch of Apple's iPhone 5 - report



    AT&T hasn't been prepared for any previous iPhone launch, so this might be a refreshing change of pace.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Edit: nevermind, I see you are using the astronomical definition of the Fall season (Sept 23rd), there are many other definitions of Fall or autumn however and the astronomical one is quite new. For most of the history of western civilisation for example (up to about 50 years ago or so), Fall begins in early to mid August.



    I think you have it backwards. Most of Western Civilization considers fall/autumn to start at the equinox in late September.



    Some Asian and other cultures consider it to start earlier:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,786member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Why?



    1. Power draw.

    2. Lack of LTE networks anywhere.

    3. Size of chips.



    Exactly.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    hari5hari5 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    will probably be LTE as well, qualcomm's LTE and everything in one radio chips are supposed to start shipping soon



    The 4G LTE technology to be adopted in iPhone 5 is becoming a less probable venture. Any phone coming with 4G technology has to bear the highest component costs than any other smartphone coming without it. In fact, 4G 'Long Term Evolution' wireless chips required for the faster speeds in HTC Thunderbolt cost an extra $39.75, according to industry researcher IHS.



    As already mentioned, 'the size of the LTE chip', Apple iPhone's minuscule printed circuit board will have to grow in size in order to support the first-generation LTE baseband processor as well as all the supporting chipset which is in clear contrast against Apple’s plans to deliver a lighter and thinner smartphone in the form of iPhone 5.



    So I think most probably, iPhone 5 will not be featuring 4G LTE support.

    ------------



    In screen resolution of iPhone 5, I wonder what are they going to improve?



    In past Apple had looked into FFS. This technology does have the potential for improving current 'Retina Display'. Advanced Fringe Field Switching minimizes colour distortion while maintaining a wider viewing angle. Even their previous light leakage complications in developing white iPhone 4 can be corrected by optimized A-FFS display. It's clearly superior when compared to current In Plane Switching technology of iPhone 4.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 248member
    Sure looks similar to the iPhone 4
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Worst kept secret, ever.
Sign In or Register to comment.