WSJ, Amazon, Google, Kobo iOS apps affected by Apple's direct sales rules

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Will the Amazon tablet have iBooks? We will never know, since Apple does not write apps for other companies' platforms (with the exception of iTunes for Windows - any others?). Otherwise, it would have been a way cool scenario to watch from the sidelines. Would Amazon block or handicap the iBooks app? Would they even allow it? Alas, we will never see this one battle materialize.

But then, this may be Apple's rationale - I don't bring my dog onto your lawn; so ....

Who knows what they'll allow on their tablet but e-readers are not allowed on their limited 3rd party app support for Kindle. Hmm, other software Apple provides for non-Apple platform - Safari & Quicktime I guess would be the only ones.

So far I have yet to see anything that indicates Apple is serious about iBooks. The prices are uncompetitive with Kindle, the selection is smaller, the device support is less. Personally I don't think iBooks is intended as a Kindle killer. I think it's intended as a warning shot across Amazon's bow, and as a way to ensure that Amazon doesn't pull kindle support from iOS.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Post reported. Although, AI doesn't seem to be interested in ad hominens defending Apple.

Does AI care about ad hominems at all? Serious question - I've seen so much of it here in threads which had forum moderators active (though they weren't the culprits they must have seen it) that I just assumed that it had to get pretty hot for one to step in.
  • Reply 103 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I've been infracted, for calling a poster with the pseudonym brainless brainless. I thought that a bit rough. Its like calling me asdasd. And once for using the f word. That was fair enough.

Quote:

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it - this policy isn't aimed at Kindle, it's aimed at things like freemium games or 'demo versions'. In those cases the App Distribution becomes in effect free advertising, and Apple isn't in the business of delivering that.

Maybe, if so Apple can now go back and make deals with certain providers to get revenue from a link within the provider's app, and exclude the majority of cases. Large providers have the technology, it's called a referral fee. The buying is still done on the Kindle Safari store, but a referral link ( possibly with a special apple rate attached) is run in Safari when a button is clicked on the app, and then re-directs to the purchasing page. Amazon then pays a percentage of the profits, and gets to set it's prices as it does now. Apple gets 30% of profit, of $1 for a free book etc.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Does AI care about ad hominems at all? Serious question - I've seen so much of it here in threads which had forum moderators active (though they weren't the culprits they must have seen it) that I just assumed that it had to get pretty hot for one to step in.

Well, I have received an infraction for saying "Are you more than 7?" to a person and I don't think is very hot :P
  • Reply 105 of 117
    Quote:

I've been infracted, for calling a poster with the pseudonym brainless brainless. I thought that a bit rough. Its like calling me asdasd.

That's priceless

Quote:

Maybe, if so Apple can now go back and make deals with certain providers to get revenue from a link within the provider's app, and exclude the majority of cases. Large providers have the technology, it's called a referral fee. The buying is still done on the Kindle Safari store, but a referral link ( possibly with a special apple rate attached) is run in Safari when a button is clicked on the app, and then re-directs to the purchasing page. Amazon then pays a percentage of the profits, and gets to set it's prices as it does now. Apple gets 30% of profit, of $1 for a free book etc.

I think the App Store model is still a work in progress. A referral button would make sense, but how much would Apple charge for it? Arguably it would be a static advert in the App so should be charged at similar rates to their advertising commission. Amazon would probably prefer to just direct consumers via alternative means.

The fact is that for all the sturm und drang this isn't going to impact Amazon at all and it isn't going to seriously worsen the experience of buying a kindle book on the iPhone or iPad. The unpleasant part of that process is dealing with Amazon's web-page and that's not going to change.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

...... As has been pointed out to you about 100 times, the Kindle app store runs in safari. That is still the case. It doesn't need Apple's credit card transactions. There is no "shelf" space issue, either. The only Apple related shelf space is the App Store which vends apps. In this case thefree Kindle app store, hosted in Safari vends books. Once downloaded Apple should get nothing, unless people want to use IAP. .......

Firstly, the "kindle app store" doesn't "run in safari" ...... nor is the "kindle app store" 'hosted in safari' .... the kindle app, as all of the other apps, reside in Apple's app store and were then being linked to the "kindle store" via a web browser. You seem to be missing a link understanding, so here is kindle's own explanation, not that it will do you or Gwidion any good, because it is clear to me that you don't want to understand. Now the question is ..... why ???

"In order to comply with recent policy changes by Apple, we?ve also removed the ?Kindle Store? link from within the app that opened Safari and took you to the Kindle Store. You can still shop as you always have - just open Safari and go to www.amazon.com/kindlestore. If you want, you can bookmark that URL. Your Kindle books will be delivered automatically to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, just as before."

As a special favor to Gwidion, please note that when any web browser (including safari, chrome, firefox, whoever) sends you to anyone's store to buy .... Apple receives no commission, has not asked for any, nor should they ..... as long as they don't try to go from the Apple app store first. .... the kindle people get this .... why can't you ????
  • Reply 107 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Firstly, the "kindle app store" doesn't "run in safari" ...... nor is the "kindle app store" 'hosted in safari' .... the kindle app, as all of the other apps, reside in Apple's app store and were then being linked to the "kindle store" via a web browser. You seem to be missing a link understanding, so here is kindle's own explanation, not that it will do you or Gwidion any good, because it is clear to me that you don't want to understand. Now the question is ..... why ???

"In order to comply with recent policy changes by Apple, we?ve also removed the ?Kindle Store? link from within the app that opened Safari and took you to the Kindle Store. You can still shop as you always have - just open Safari and go to www.amazon.com/kindlestore. If you want, you can bookmark that URL. Your Kindle books will be delivered automatically to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, just as before."

As a special favor to Gwidion, please note that when any web browser (including safari, chrome, firefox, whoever) sends you to anyone's store to buy .... Apple receives no commission, has not asked for any, nor should they ..... as long as they don't try to go from the Apple app store first. .... the kindle people get this .... why can't you ????

Kindle people understand that Apple has banned any link, nothing more
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Quote:

Kindle is forced to get it. There was no link from the "Apple app store" to Safari. The link was from the Kindle app, which was on the iPad, and therefore off the App Store.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

And too many people here claimed they will pull the app rather than the links.

I think they sell as many or more Kindle books on iPads as they do on Kindle devices.

As a side note, I hope apple ultimately re-thinks this I'll-conceived rule. I understand their logic, but it is bad for users.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I understand their logic, but it is bad for users.

I would think that everyone would agree, regardless of their personal belief of the rights/wrongs/morals of this decision, that the outcome for an iDevice owner is a poorer user experience.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Quote:

Kindle is forced to get it. There was no link from the "Apple app store" to Safari. The link was from the Kindle app, which was on the iPad, and therefore off the App Store.

Thanks for the laugh .... one can only hope you're keeping your genes to yourself.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Kindle people understand that Apple has banned any link from taking you out of the app and sending you directly to a competing store.

There, fixed that for you.
  • Reply 113 of 117
    Quote:

There, fixed that for you.

Thanks, it still make my point, not yours.
  • Reply 114 of 117
    There is a fairly simple work-around to this.

Since the Kindle store button just took you to the web site, it is a simple matter of going to the website and hitting the "Add to Home Screen" button.

I did this, and placed the resulting icon next to my Kindle App.

This goes to show that Apple does not really achieve anything with this move, other than to make life more difficult for us, the consumers.

We have not seen the end to this issue.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

There is a fairly simple work-around to this.

Use iBooks
  • Reply 116 of 117
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

You forot to include the rest of the story .... from the same link. ...Huh .. imagine that.

You pick the price

You get 70% of sales revenue

Receive payments monthly

No charge for free apps

No credit card fees

No hosting fees

No marketing fees

This is way too simplified. Any of these companies already have fixed costs maintaining a presence elsewhere. This does not change. They do have costs involved developing and maintaining an app. Credit card fees are usually 2.5-3.5% or so. All or most of these retailers do have their own sites as well. 30% is a pretty significant fee to any retailer. I'm not sure many of them can just afford to eat it rather than increase their pricing to compensate. You aren't just accepting a drastically reduced margin on sales you wouldn't otherwise receive. It will displace some existing sales opportunities especially if people continue to become used to the convenience factor.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    Quote:

Thanks for the laugh .... one can only hope you're keeping your genes to yourself.

Post reported. Actually I think you should be banned. You barely understand simple remedial concepts ( in what sense can the Kindle app link from the "app store" - it doesn't run on the app store. Are you confusing the app store with iOS?).

Not being able to understand simple concepts and engaging in ad hominems is lowering the standard of debate here.