Inside Apple's iOS 5: AirPort, Time Capsule setup goes PC-free

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
With the release of Apple's iOS 5 for iPhone and iPad this fall, users will be able to set up their new AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule directly within the mobile operating system.

An iPhone running iOS 5 will automatically recognize AirPort Base Station hardware that needs to be set up, and users will be able to accomplish this task through the Wi-Fi Networks option in the Settings application. The new feature was discovered by an AppleInsider tipster, who sent along the included screenshots.

Under Wi-Fi Networks, a new option reads "Set up an AirPort Base Station..." In setting up a Time Capsule, users are given the option to create a Wi-Fi network, complete with password, or "Do something different."

Selecting the latter option gives users the option to join an existing network, or to replace a base station. Users are also given appropriate error messages or details on how to fix any issues directly from the iOS Settings application.

Upon setting up a Wi-Fi network, users can also select "Show Passwords," which will display any applicable network password, base station password and disk password so that users may save them for later.

AirPort 1

The ability to set up a Time Capsule or AirPort hardware with iOS 5 is yet another piece of Apple's PC-free philosophy that is a major component of the forthcoming mobile operating system upgrade. Using iCloud, users will be able to activate and set up their iOS device without tethering to a computer via USB.

AirPort 2

Apple will also be able to deliver software updates to devices running iOS 5 and later wirelessly, also without the need to connect to iTunes. Developers began testing this feature with iOS 5 beta 4, released last Friday.

AirPort 3

Apple also made efforts to cut the cord with improvements to the Calendar application found in iOS 5. When the software update arrives this fall, iPhone and iPad users will be able to add, rename and delete calendars directly from their device. Previously, these activities required tethering to a PC via USB.

AirPort 4

For more, see AppleInsider's extensive coverage of iOS 5, including some of the latest reports featured below:

Assistive Touch allows accessible gesture commands

New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard

iMessage to bring proprietary chat to iPhone, iPad

Built-in Twitter integration makes tweeting a snap

LED flash on calls, custom accessibility gestures & vibrations

Calendar improvements help make iPhone, iPad PC-free

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Further blending of iOS and OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I'm pretty sure that Steve Jobs demoed this at the iOS 5 announcement quite some time ago... I'm not sure but I remember seeing this in the same timeframe.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...The new feature was discovered in by AppleInsider reader Cameron Pierson, who sent along the included screenshots….

Hope Cameron didn't just re-up if he was a developer since he just violated the NDA he would have to agree too if he was a developer. Of course could be he just got it from someone else that isn't willing to live up to their word (the NDA). Either way doesn't seem like the most reputable of sources.

• Reply 4 of 21
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Those pinstripes really need to go. They look very dated.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Yes Apple. Please continue to make your post PC devices as stand alone units. The freer we are from PCs the better.

I'm buying the next version of the iPod Touch and I'm wondering if I can make an Apple TV and the iPod Touch my new computer system. Does anybody know how this could work? Please tell me. There are no Apple stores in rural America so I'm only able to learn about such things via web forums.

In the past the only thing I did on my Mac that couldn't be done on an iPad was to edit videos. Now that can be done on the iPod Touch, which means I really don't need a Mac anymore. With Google Docs and the coming iCloud I don't need a hard drive to store documents. Picasa can store my photos or I could continue to use my Box.net account for storage.

Perhaps Google with their Chromebook has taken the lead into computing on the Internet instead of with a home computer. Apples iDevice line can do the same things a Chromebook can do with the benefit of using Netflix videos right away. If I just get an external keyboard I'll have a really tiny portable computer.

Is anybody else doing this now?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I guess I don't know how to get the Airport feature working on Beta 4.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I guess I don't know how to get the Airport feature working on Beta 4.

It only works for first-time setups. You can't administer existing ones.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Still don't understand what Apple thinks they gain by not having the administration be via web interface. After having issues with my APx this past week, I curse the stupidity of the arrangement.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It only works for first-time setups. You can't administer existing ones.

That answer that....thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Still don't understand what Apple thinks they gain by not having the administration be via web interface. After having issues with my APx this past week, I curse the stupidity of the arrangement.

How would having a web interface instead make a difference?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    tomhickstomhicks Posts: 20member
    I think that the person who posted their WiFi password details should look into a new password. Not only have they posted it on the Internet, but having such an easy password to guess is silly. You would have thought that a registered iOS developer would have known better, really.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I know iOS 5 will bring wireless syncing but does this article mean that we may see wireless backup directly to the Time Capsule as well? I watched the iOS keynote but I don't recall Apple mentioning PC-free wireless backup... It would actually be nice to be able to backup to Time Capsule or Airport Extreme (with a network drive) - especially for those who don't have a PC. I know the iCloud backup is on its way but it would be surely faster to restore 16, 32 or 64GB of backup via local wifi network, rather than downloading it from Apple's server. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

How would having a web interface instead make a difference?

Like not needing an OSX/PC/iOS device, like how the rest of the world's been operating for the past 10 years?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Those pinstripes really need to go. They look very dated.

iOS needs a new theme, it has been 4 years now.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Not if only time capsule ran iOS and allowed us to print things wirelessly without needing a mac or an HP printer I think that would be amazing.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Hope Cameron didn't just re-up if he was a developer since he just violated the NDA he would have to agree too if he was a developer. Of course could be he just got it from someone else that isn't willing to live up to their word (the NDA). Either way doesn't seem like the most reputable of sources.

Its a rumor site, why are you so worried about NDA? If everyone followed NDA we would have no rumors and no leaks. And we would not even have a site such as this.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    This makes complete sense to me and it does not surprise me at all. There will be many who no longer need or want a personal computer (Mac or PC). An iPad and/or iPhone will meet all their needs. Personally, I cannot wait for that day - and it will be here sooner than many believe.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkWagner View Post

There will be many who no longer need or want a personal computer (Mac or PC). An iPad and/or iPhone will meet all their needs. Personally, I cannot wait for that day - and it will be here sooner than many believe.

It's not just those who no longer need or want a personal computer. This is part of a change to allow people who have NEVER had a personal computer to use iDevices.

Think China. Think Africa. Think about the hundreds of millions of people for which a "full computer" is unaffordable. Or too complex. Or just unavailable. Apple is getting closer to opening a new world for these folks -- and a HUGE new potential market for themselves.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Its a rumor site, why are you so worried about NDA? If everyone followed NDA we would have no rumors and no leaks. And we would not even have a site such as this.

But most people who pass info like this to rumor sites are very careful to mask their identities. This guy has plastered his name all over everything (I'm gagging over his blatant "name marketing"). My guess is that he's not the developer who signed an NDA, but is good friends with one. And his friend is going to find himself in hot water.

Think about it: Apple has access to a ton of social graph data and I doubt they're afraid to use it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Will this work with any Airport Extreme or Express or only the newest models?