Review: Apple's 2011 Thunderbolt 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Thunderbolt will be expensive not cheap.

The adapters won't be. Remember that the Thunderbolt port interface is free to use so companies like Monoprice will be able to make adapters and hubs as they see fit.

Now if we're talking about a Thunderbolt controller for Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt connectivity, that's a different situation. Apple apparently has exclusive 'PC' rights to it for 2011 and it will be for the pricer peripherals for a few years as it trickles down.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The adapters won't be. Remember that the Thunderbolt port interface is free to use so companies like Monoprice will be able to make adapters and hubs as they see fit.

Especially since part of the "smarts" of Thunderbolt are built into both ends of the cables.

I'm waiting to see if OWC makes a Thunderbolt miniStack for the new Mac mini with an optical drive and 3.5" HDD storage...
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Sorry for writing long, late, and looming, but here?s what I think Mr. Jobs has in mind concerning the MacBook Air:

The MBA will be ditched within 2011, likely this quarter.

The 11-inch MBA form factor will become the entry-level revived iBook.

The 13-inch MBA form factor will become the top model of the revived iBook.

The reborn iBook will be powered by an A5 processor (A6?) and run under iOSX.

The base model will probably cost somewhere between $699-$799.

The new iBook will consolidate iOSX as the widest, the most consistent, completely integrated platform/echosystem in the computer industry.

And about OS-X:

In the first half of 2012 Lion will be licenced to HP, Dell, and family.

This move will be welcome by PC makers. They will breath fresh financial air, as MS will have to slash Windows price scheme. Most everybody will be happy with lower costs and/or better quality.

Apple can still keep a 10%+ market share as the BMW of PC makers.

Plus Apple will dominate a 70%+ of the high-end-phone + tablet PC market phenomenon.

At $30 a copy, Lion will throw a deadly blow on M$ income.

In a few years, Lion may well tear down Windows supremacy altogether.

That?s what the LION name means, right? The KING of the jungle.

I suspect ever since its inception, the ?Lion? name was thought for this master strategic blow.

I don't think Mr. Jobs ever really meant his famous statement ?The OS war is over".

He may be now thinking: YOUR DAYS OF GLORY ARE GONE MICRO$OFT. FOREVER.

And there won?t be more chapters to this OSs saga. Not for some time.

I also thought the 13-inch MBA could reincarnate into the late MB. but that wouldn't be bold enough for Mr. Jobs strategic genius. And boy, is he a bold strategist.

In January you invited your readers to send their guesses.

Again, I apologize for being late.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoddoR View Post

In the first half of 2012 Lion will be licenced to HP, Dell, and family. In January you invited your readers to send their guesses.

Again, I apologize for being late.

No problem with being late, but why do you think that Lion would work on a PC? Lion only supports the 11 Macs' Apple sells. Some custom, some commodity components, but with PC's there's a whole slew of hardware. Hardware that Lion doesn't support. And if you think they can make it work within a year how would that be possible with only 8k employees in Cupertino?

Welcome to the forum, but I think you need to rethink.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 45 of 49
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Are the Apple retail stores stocking the 1.8GHz MacBook Air models?
  • Reply 46 of 49
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Are the Apple retail stores stocking the 1.8GHz MacBook Air models?

Yes, since day one.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No problem with being late, but why do you think that Lion would work on a PC? Lion only supports the 11 Macs' Apple sells. Some custom, some commodity components, but with PC's there's a whole slew of hardware. Hardware that Lion doesn't support. And if you think they can make it work within a year how would that be possible with only 8k employees in Cupertino?

Welcome to the forum, but I think you need to rethink.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie

Microsoft makes money by selling Windows so they have to struggle to support all PC varieties. Apple doesn?t. If they ever do, it would be a strategic move more than anything else. In that case the interested PC makers should have to redesign their hardware (and the BIOS) to be able to boot either on Windows or OSX. In fact a couple years ago Michael Dell made a comment that he would love having OSX for his machines. Sure he would. Licensing OSX would force MS to cut prices down. End of Windows monopoly. Game over MS.

Thanks for the welcome PhilBoogie.

I know my bets are a little outrageous, but ditching the MBA may be the most one.

Regards,

RoddoR
  • Reply 48 of 49
    BRAVO APPLE !!! Previous owner of a white MacBook and I upgraded to the 13.3" MacBook Air after the Lion update as the white MacBook started running a little slower and couldn't be happier! Not only is it SOOOO fast the speakers have been upgraded! I can jam to music all over my house and leave it in one place !!