PayPal users mistakenly charged as much as $4,000 for Mac OS X Lion

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    In the Macrumors version of this story he says he thinks it was iTunes that caused the overcharging, when he used the redownload all apps feature.

And then he admits he was using an iTunes beta downloaded from the Apple dev site! I for one would not do any account related activities with a beta.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Wonder how that effects the amount of copies Apple claims to have sold of Lion on the first day?
  • Reply 43 of 49
    PayPal is a great site, I've used it since it came into existence over 10 years ago. Never had a problem.

You have to realize 2 things about PayPal:

1.) NEVER set up auto-anything on PayPal. If there isn't enough money in your PayPal account for the transaction, then the transaction gets declined. I still have my bank account on file with PayPal, but I pull the trigger. It is NOT set up for back-up funding. Nothing is.

2.) The PayPal CREDIT card is a piece of rip-off trash. However, the PayPal DEBIT card is an excellent product that I use all the time, enjoy receiving cash back on and have even used to rent cars. As a business Mastercard it offers free purchase protection, roadside assistance, rental car insurance, etc.

To recap: do not set up Backup funding on your PayPal debit card and do not activate the Balance Manager.

PayPal is a great site, but you have to know how to use it and not use it.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize that PayPal isn't sketchy at all and this was just a glitch in the system, right?

Paypal is just full of so many holes. I've personally been hacked 3 times. I've never had a credit card issue....ever.

So I closed my Paypal account. Just don't trust them...
  • Reply 45 of 49
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Let others analyze PayPal in this, but ...

Please ...

Was this with iTunes or App Store ?

Are they the 'same' or 'different' - what are 'differences/etc' ?

THAT is the part has my curiosity, and suspect is the 'culprit'

And NO ONE is looking at it, nor addressing it (not that I've found)

Will get back later with more questions and details

• Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

First, why does he deserve a free copy of Apple's software just because there was a glitch? It never ceases to amaze me the entitlement some people feel these days.

If some glitch causes such a major inconvenience to a client, for no fault of his, then it stands to reason that the erring party does something extra to compensate the client. Why is that surprising?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

AppleInsider is not about reporting news, it is a place for rumors and speculation. This story is so lacking in solid facts it is impossible to make any true evaluation of the validity of the claims, or the source of any problem if it does exist.

That sure has not stopped all the "experts" who visit here from voicing their opinions as if they are fact.

Apple sells computers to anyone, including the clueless.

The only thing missing is some comments from Android fan bois who feel compelled to visit this site focused on products from a company they hate.

really? I loved my iphone - loved lion. I got shafted by apple. yes, paypal, for the most part has the money, and did nothing to shut down apple customers from being crapped on once again...but this is apples baby. I am not a fan of andriod, but I chucked my iPhone in the trash, refuse to use my wifes mac, and picked up an andriod phone. I'll get used to it. Fanboy? Really? - whos the fan boy? It's so obvious that you are the clueless expert here.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Let others analyze PayPal in this, but ...

Please ...

Was this with iTunes or App Store ?

Same store.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

This is why I have my paypal account backed by US guaranteed securities!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

That would be a better campaign than the anti-drugs campaign. Regardless of whose fault this is, with PayPal resolution will be almost impossible. Use a real credit card and it would be worked out in hours.

Anybody here got like $2 in PayPal dollars about five years ago after the class action lawsuit?