Something good to come out of Texas...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...apart from Bush that is [cough], the Dixie Chicks <a href="http://www.artistdirect.com/showcase//country/dixiechicks.html"; target="_blank">http://www.artistdirect.com/showcase//country/dixiechicks.html</a>;

Anyone here a fan?

- T.I.

edit: inserted "cough"

[ 03-11-2003: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    My wife is a fan. Personally i think they are "shrilly" but may have a catchy tune or two. If they were hot they would be much more tolerable.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I think seperately they are ok looking, &lt;inMyDreams&gt; but the 3 of them together could work me over any day &lt;/inMyDreams&gt;.

As for music, the wife likes them, and as far as country goes it's better than most.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    When ever I hear fast fiddling i think of them. One of them can sure fiddle.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Don't forget the free chili on execution night....

Oh and the Dallas Stars. As much as I hate to admit it, they're pretty damn good. Hopefully Billy Guerrin will work his way back north where he belongs one day.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Only because Marty Turco owns your mama.

Dixie Chix Sux. Would be great if a landslide would wash them right into the ocean. And what happened to that law that all female country singers had to be hot? Slackers.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>When ever I hear fast fiddling i think of them. One of them can sure fiddle.</strong><hr></blockquote>That would be Martha Elenor Erwin MaGuire who is a championship-level fiddle player who started at the age of five years old with just violin lessons. She then began "fiddling" when she was 12. She even took fiddle lessons from one of her influences, Tim O'Brien, during a family trip in Colorado. At the Walnut Valley Fiddle Championship in 1989 she got 3rd place. She also plays the mandolin and she and sister Emily would practice everyday with their mother's egg timer, watching only a little television.

In school, Martie was in orchestra. Martie and Emily toured the country together in a teens bluegrass group for six years before helping to found Dixie Chicks. They both were playing acoustic instruments before they hit their teens.

- T.I.

P.S. She could fiddle me any time

[ 03-11-2003: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>If they were hot they would be much more tolerable. </strong><hr></blockquote>Now you are just being silly

- T.I.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

Only because Marty Turco owns your mama.

<hr></blockquote>

You better hope ole Marty doesn't reinjure himself at playoff time or all of the Stars' mamas are gonna get owned. Tugnuts will only get you so far....
  • Reply 9 of 41
    [quote]You better hope ole Marty doesn't reinjure himself at playoff time or all of the Stars' mamas are gonna get owned. Tugnuts will only get you so far....<hr></blockquote>

I'm not much of an NHL fan and I'm not a Stars fan in the least.

I prefers the college hockey anyway, or I did once upon a time, and that relates to my fondness for Mr. Turco.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I know a chic would would lay down in traffic for Turco. He was a stud at Michigan (I believe that's his alma mater). Nothing like a puck bunny to inflate a player's ego.

• Reply 11 of 41
    Yep Michigan won the NCAA tournament in both 96 and 98 when he was the starter. Should have won in 97 as well.

I'm sure celebrity status plus $ brings any pro athlete all the booty that he could want.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Guys, what's all this got to do with my beloved Dixie Chicks?

- T.I.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am ready to surrender to these Texas chicks
  • Reply 14 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

<strong>I am ready to surrender to these Texas chicks </strong><hr></blockquote>You will not regret this, powerdoc

And to think, they were only playing in London yesterday, and I missed them. GGGGGrrrrrrr

Review from The Times <a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/"; target="_blank">http://www.timesonline.co.uk/</a>; :

March 11, 2003

Flying high with the country set

By David Sinclair

Pop: Dixie Chicks

Shepherds Bush Empire

YOU may be surprised to learn that the Dixie Chicks are probably the best-selling girl group of all time, bar the Spice Girls.

Their current album, Home, their sixth all told, has already sold five million copies and netted them three Grammies, and that?s even before they start touring to promote it. But that is in America. Over here, they are not so well known, and the last time they performed in England, four years ago, they found that far from spreading the word abroad, they were in fact playing to a venue full of their fellow Texans.

The group?s phenomenal rise from busking on a Dallas street corner in 1989 to their current multiple-platinum status, has involved several line-up changes and quite a few marriages. The trio who took to the Shepherds Bush stage last night ? about ten minutes after their six-piece backing band had been rather awkwardly installed ? comprised of sisters Martie Maguire (violin) and Emily Robison (banjo and slide guitar) with singer Natalie Maines, daughter of the producer and pedal steel player Lloyd Maines.

Their fashion sense was a mixture of country casual and punk, involving a curious collision of tassels, T-shirts, combat trousers and stilettos. Robison looked like Nigella Lawson, while Maguire bore a passing resemblance to Dusty Springfield.

Later on in the performance, as they delved into their back catalogue with numbers such as Wide Open Spaces and There?s Your Trouble, their formula involved putting a soft-rock sheen onto music rooted in their southern heritage ? doing, roughly speaking, to American country music what the Corrs did to Irish folk.

But to begin with they focused on numbers from Home, an album which gives a more authentic representation of their country-folk roots. And this was where they excelled. Long Time Gone and Tortured, Tangled Hearts were wonderfully realised songs, played on acoustic instruments, in which the Chicks? three-part harmonies blended with the fiddle, banjo and mandolin to create an effect that was utterly enchanting.

Maines?s voice, which had that slightly acidic tone that ?real? country singers go in for, as if she had just eaten a lemon sherbet, led the way with support from the harmonies of the sisters as they delivered songs about marriage, divorce, war and riding on the Sin Wagon.

?When it?s my turn to march to glory/I?m gonna have one hell of a story,? Maines sang, cheered on by an enthusiastic audience, which on this occasion, was by no means comprised entirely of Americans. Country music is difficult to market over here, but if Shania Twain?s arch pop version can succeed, the Dixie Chicks deserve a fair hearing at the very least.

- T.I.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030314/ap_on_en_mu/people_dixie_chicks"; target="_blank">http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030314/ap_on_en_mu/people_dixie_chicks</a>;

Lookeds like a backlash is starting. Strictly from a career point of view, their comments were not a Good Idea. That demographic on the whole doesn't take too kindly to such a stance.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm ashamed the Dixie Chicks are from Texas.

God Bless Stevie Ray Vaughn, I can't believe people like the Dixie Chicks so much they fly them over the Big Pond.

Isn't Yurrup supposed to be a cultural Mecca for us white folks?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

<strong>Strictly from a career point of view, their comments were not a Good Idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>Maybe you are right, but then maybe, just maybe, they feel that, at present, there are more important things to worry about than one's career, and maybe they are also just pissed that anyone in the U.S. who these days voices an opinion that is anti-government is looked upon as being anti-patriotic. Freedom of speech and all that...

Dan Rather, the other, day in an interview with BBC television admitted that it is *very* difficult, even more difficult now than immediately after Sep. 11, to report anything that goes even slightly against the "official" point of view, although he may have phrased it differently. It makes working/reporting *very* hard, he said. If you ask me, that is not a very healthy state to be in, if you pardon the pun.

As to the Dixies, I lke them even more now than before. Good for them, I say.

- T.I.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Poor Dan Rather.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Poor Dan Rather. </strong><hr></blockquote>Well, exactly. A man of integrity.

- T.I.

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 41
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's a sad day when the media that most appreciate the rights of free speech decide to ban a group from their radio stations because the band was exercising their opinion, however unpopular.

I'm not a fan of the Dixie Chicks. It's the principle involved that gets me. There's so many ignorant people in this country that bring up freedom of speech in justifying every stupid thing they say, and then when a celebrity says something, the public says, "They can't say that! That's unpatriotic!"

No, dumbass, that's more patriotic than anything YOU'LL ever say. It's grounded in the Constitution, and it's what millions of Americans have fought to defend.