Nintendo to slash 3DS price by $80 as Apple gains in mobile gaming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Are you playing dumb or do you know what "another" means?

3DS is a flop. [I think] Wii U will be a flop. Hence "another"

The original topic of discussion was the 3DS, not the Wii.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

HDMI out which I believe the 3DS does not have.

I would think transferring the files to another device or the TV might be a solution.

In any event, the 3DS's 3D camera's are only 640x480 - they are just a novelty to have fun with the console and there's no reason to transfer them to anything else except to another friend's 3DS.

There really isn't a reason for the 3DS to have HDMI out. Are you going to buy a 20 foot HDMI cable and play low res games on your TV while having to look down to use the touch screen?
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

3DS is a flop. [I think] Wii U will be a flop. Hence "another"

The original topic of discussion was the 3DS, not the Wii.

Thank you... I misread... apologies.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Are you going to buy a 20 foot HDMI cable and play low res games on your TV while having to look down to use the touch screen?

Nintendo basically wants you to do this with the new controller on the Wii U (minus the cable)

Look at the TV, look at the LCD on the controller, look at the TV
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:

Thank you... I misread... apologies.

No worries
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

I'm sorry, I don't think this has anything to do with Apple, and is just AI's attempt to bash another company while propping up Apple.

Instead, I think this is simply because the product SUCKS and Nintendo is on a downward spiral (I predict another flop for the Wii U).

What do you mean "another flop"? The Wii brought Nintendo back into relevance! It has sold almost double its nearest competitor.

It had a software drought towards the end but at the end of the day the console wasn't powerful enough to last very long.

I'm not sure how the Wii U could "flop." Nearly everyone who actually has used the controller loves it, and I think the extra screen is going to be really useful for games, and the fact that you can watch a video while someone else plays a game on the TV will be really useful for many families. Essentially the controller has iPad/drawing tablet functionality and I'm not sure how you can say that will flop. It can also be used as a sort of sniper scope or used to avoid screen peeking without using a 3DTV.

The Wii U will have all the casual type games and be 100% Wii compatible, as well as having many cross platform games confirmed. Actually, the Wii U will probably receive every game that happens to be cross platform as it has the same power as the other consoles. It will literally be the best console to own as it is compatible with 3 types of controllers.

Games confirmed are Battlefield 3, Batman: Arkham Asylum, New Super Mario Bros., Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online, Metro: Last Light, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3

The only reason the 3DS is having trouble is because it was priced too high and not enough software was prepared. It's true many games are being put on hold or cancelled for the 3DS due to this fact but Nintendo is taking the right action by drastically reducing the price. Nothing prevents them from coming out with a 3G or phone version in the future if the market goes that way.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

Nintendo basically wants you to do this with the new controller on the Wii U (minus the cable)

Look at the TV, look at the LCD on the controller, look at the TV

I would say the cable itself is what most of what makes it impractical!

So you are right but I would say it is more of an iPad experience. It's not a tiny 400x200 screen or whatever the resolution of the 3DS happens to be. I think Nintendo consciously saw the iPad's gaming success and is going one step further by integrating that into a home console with the standard gaming analog sticks and buttons as well.

Other functionality:

- "Sniper scope"

- Eliminating screen-peeking

- Playing a home console while others watch TV in the room

- Playing iPad-type games

- Drawing tablet functionality

- Each player having a unique view while an overview is shown on the TV or something similar.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's not just Apple, but Nintendo is losing their old handheld market to iOS & Android devices, in much the same way that the PMP market dried up and the point & shoot camera market shrank.

Even if Nintendo had made the bestest little handheld console that ever was it would still be seeing shrinking sales.

If Nintendo isn't willing to cannibalize itself, which would mean making a DS smartphone, its best hope is that somebody who does make smartphones buys it for the games catalogue.

I think the easier option is to simply port all their games wholesale to iOS. They probably won't do it out of pride until it's so late in the game that no one cares, but their hardware is really nothing special and next to almost any other portable gaming device just looks silly IMO.

I find it hard not to burst out laughing when I see people using them on the bus or the train, poking that silly little stick around the screen.

There isn't really that much difference between that stick and a finger. They should just admit they are not likely to surpass Apple's hardware and port every single Nintendo title to iOS. Their costs would go way down, and their market reach would jump up a notch. Net result ... profit!

Edit: to be clear, I'm just talking about the 3DS and the older games. It seems the thread has been derailed into talk of the Wii and the Wii U.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    deewindeewin Posts: 34member
    Just recently bought an iPod touch even though I own an iPhone 4. It's because I'm sick of always draining my iPhone battery and I want to play some of the more resource intensive apps and RPG's on my touch. If the 3DS is 249 and the iPod touch is 300 with cheaper games with more versatility Then this is a no brainer for me. The games might not be as excellent as Nintendo's but there's still some great apps out there for great prices and it's only gonna get better as time goes on.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    EA also said

"it had five of the top 10 paid games on Verizon, two of the top ten paid games on the iPhone, and two of the top ten paid games on the iPad in June. In mobile, EA?s revenues were $59 million"

that is right TOTAL - in perspective - total revenue hit 998 million, so Mobile games for EA could be fast growing but it would go bankrupt if it did not sell console games.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

No... it's because the Wii was a flop...

I thought I had heard most of the bizarre crap before - you are kidding right?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Yes, Apple is doing well on the mobile gaming front, but the 3DS is still mostly in competition with the PSVita. The price drop is almost certainly due to the fact that the PSVita debuted with hardware that the typical gamer is more willing to pay for. Since the 3DS debuted when the iPad had alread been on the market for quite some time, I think Nintendo would have already taken that into consideration when it announced its original price point.

Well, not really. Starting with the Wii and DS, Nintendo has definitely shifted their target audience. They left the competition for the "hardcore" gamers to Msft and Sony and instead tried to appeal to the "casual" gamers (hence the focus on non-traditional controllers, unwillingness to pay for expensive hardware that the "typical" gamer is willing to pay for, etc...). A key component of this strategy is cheap hardware/software, since the casual gamer is less likely to put as much money into games as a hardcore gamer.

The problem (and the reason why this is relevant to an Apple blog) is that the iPhone/iPad just happen to have the hardware suitable for the types of games Nintendo is releasing, and since many people already own iPhones/iPads for other reasons, they end up being much cheaper in the eyes of the target consumer than the Nintendo products.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

I just ask that you pay attention to the conversation... nothing more. It will all become clear.

OP didn't make it clear which "flop" was the previous flop, simply saying "another flop", because in my mind, the 3DS has not been out long enough to determine that it's a "flop". It's the #1 selling console in Japan at the moment as well, doubling its nearest rival. Really it's great hardware. Nothing wrong with it. Maybe Nintendo will need to make a 3G or phone version soon, but it's not like the PS Vita is even available yet nor does it have any phone functionality (plus, 3G is too laggy for any kind of online play that's not turn based or an MMO).

Lowering the price so much will create the sales in the younger market that they were missing and largely resolve any sales woes. (A lot more 30 something adults buy handheld systems in Japan (who use public transport) and that's why the 3DS is the #1 console there. Lowering the price is needed in the US since most portable gamers using a dedicated device are KIDS)

Was the PS3 a success originally? Everyone was bashing its $600 price and making fun of how it didn't sell out on launch day like the Wii or the Xbox 360. People also doubted the Blu-ray format. Today, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have sold nearly the same amount worldwide (vgchartz.com)

No console has more than one or two pieces of really good launch software. The DS's only good game at launch was an old Nintendo 64 game, same with the 3DS (and that was late for launch). PS3 and Xbox 360 had terrible launch games (Perfect Dark Zero, the O.K. Resistance: Fall of Man, and a bunch of EA crap) It takes at least 6 months for the good games to start trickling in for any console that has ever been released.

Also, if you see my other post, and use some common sense, you might realize that the Wii U won't be anything near a flop. You personally may or may not like the new controller (even though you've never used it) but it's another example of a nintendo product that's in its own class.

BTW, I don't even own a console, so I'm no Nintendo apologist or whatnot. I'm a PC gamer since it's the cheapest and highest quality experience I love paying for games at a fraction of console cost on Steam and realizing that my $100 video card gives me better graphics capability than any console.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think the easier option is to simply port all their games wholesale to iOS. They probably won't do it out of pride until it's so late in the game that no one cares, but their hardware is really nothing special and next to almost any other portable gaming device just looks silly IMO.

That's certainly an option but they'd be better if they had their own platform and thus control of their destiny, especially as they don't make 100% of the games for their platform as it is.

Sometimes I wonder if they would make a good take-over target for Apple. The Wii could integrate Apple TV and put iOS into even more living rooms.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I thought I had heard most of the bizarre crap before - you are kidding right?

It may very well have changed, but back in 2008 the story of the Wii was that it was a huge seller, but that the customers weren't very profitably because they didn't buy many games.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    I doubt the validity of this story. I believe the 3DS was just a gimmicky way of selling the same old sh**!
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Suck It Down!

Duke

Sent from my iPad
  • Reply 38 of 61
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Yes, Apple is doing well on the mobile gaming front, but the 3DS is still mostly in competition with the PSVita. The price drop is almost certainly due to the fact that the PSVita debuted with hardware that the typical gamer is more willing to pay for. Since the 3DS debuted when the iPad had alread been on the market for quite some time, I think Nintendo would have already taken that into consideration when it announced its original price point.

Agreed. Also, in addition to the cost of the 3DS Nintendo software lineup for the 3DS is rather limited. Plus Nintendo really made an error and region locked their portable gaming system. I was considering a 3DS as a replacement for my DS Lite, but after reading that the system was region locked, I walked away from that purchase. Finally, the 3D effect (which works pretty well) is really just a gimmick that many folks are just simply not willing to accept.

This price drop is a result of Nintendo's hubris.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's not just Apple, but Nintendo is losing their old handheld market to iOS & Android devices, in much the same way that the PMP market dried up and the point & shoot camera market shrank.

Even if Nintendo had made the bestest little handheld console that ever was it would still be seeing shrinking sales.

If Nintendo isn't willing to cannibalize itself, which would mean making a DS smartphone, its best hope is that somebody who does make smartphones buys it for the games catalogue.

Sorry, the games are too different. A person who really enjoys gaming versus someone who wants a 5 minute "quickie" will want a dedicated console. There are a few good games on iOS, but most of those were ported from dedicated consoles.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm... sorry, are you of the belief that the Wii was a flop? I'd have you check your entire life, then, not just your sources.

He never said the Wii was a flop. Where do you get that from? He said that Nintendo is on a downward spiral due to falling profits. I do believe, as well, that the Wii U will fail. The Wii was a quirk that I don't think Nintendo can repeat.