Apple's $76B in cash reserves surpass US government operating balance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I read this and it's changed my view. Mexico can have CA back. Betting they can run it better.

LOL... Good one. ;-) Is it just me or are a vast majority on this forum liberal yips??
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Don't worry, people dying in the streets is the Tea Party wet dream of what America should be. "If the homeless are too lazy to work, why should we support them. Let them die in the streets, it's their choice."

I don't ever remember hearing a Tea Party politician or activist say that it was their wet dream to let homeless people die in the streets. Then again, there have been plenty of ignoramuses who make absurd statements against that grass roots movement, and they always end up eating crow.

Welfare programs used to be about temporary relief, and that is exactly what is wrong with your misguided progressive mindset: that our government is somehow responsible for permanently propping up able-bodied individuals.

Libertarians quite simply believe that the government should run within its own means and much more efficiently, the same as its responsible taxpayers have to.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

LOL... Good one. ;-) Is it just me or are a vast majority on this forum liberal yips??

The majority of mac users usually lean a bit to the left so it stands to reason that the people on this board probably do as well:-)
  • Reply 44 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

I don't ever remember hearing a Tea Party politician or activist say that it was their wet dream to let homeless people die in the streets. Then again, there have been plenty of ignoramuses who make absurd statements against that grass roots movement, and they always end up eating crow.

Welfare programs used to be about temporary relief, and that is exactly what is wrong with your misguided progressive mindset: that our government is somehow responsible for permanently propping up able-bodied individuals.

Libertarians quite simply believe that the government should run within its own means and much more efficiently, the same as its responsible taxpayers have to.

Yup. We are paying people to do nothing while the country falls apart.

Same thing goes with prisons. These people violated the social contract and now they get to sit around and do nothing all day. There was a day when these criminals had to contribute back to society even if to meant they were simply breaking rocks.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

The majority of mac users usually lean a bit to the left so it stands to reason that the people on this board probably do as well:-)

I'm afraid that sounds like a pretty baseless statement.

I could just as well say that the majority of Mac users are content creators... that would definitely have been true a decade ago, but since Apple has had a major resurgence in the consumer market, I kind of doubt it.

Still, if you have a recent point of reference I'd be interested to see it.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

The top 10% pay 70% of all federal income tax receipts.

http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html

Not really sure how any taxpayer can defend a system where we spend a trillion dollars a year to subsidize cable TV for the "poor" or that 2nd TV/DVD player.

90% of those items are luxury items.

First off, this is ridiculous. "Poor" can happen for a variety of reasons: if you lose your job, you go on unemployment and, by the Heritage Foundation, are listed as "poor" in this list. So... you should sell all your belongings? Come on.

What is this war against poverty in our country? "Look! Poor people have *refrigerators* and *television*!?!" My hard earned income pays taxes to subsidize them!?!" Ridiculous. Would you be happy if they all had drug problems and lived on the streets? DOESN'T THIS SHOW PRECISELY HOW OUR BENEFITS WORK?? I mean, look at this list and tell me how many things costs more than $50. Clothes washer? Refrigerator? Personal Computer? Some video games? Dishwasher? Jacuzzi? 3 of those are might essential, and the rest less than 1/3 even have them.

What about the 1.6 million people who checked into homeless shelters in the last year? What about America having the widest income disparity among developed nations?

You know why the top earners pay such a high percentage of US taxes? Because they make that much of US income. We have a rapidly rising wealthy class, and a rapidly rising poor class, historically a classic recipe for national collapse.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:

Yup. We are paying people to do nothing while the country falls apart.

Yep, they're called CEOs.

Quote:

Same thing goes with prisons. These people violated the social contract and now they get to sit around and do nothing all day.

Wow! Sounds great! Want to go?

Quote:

There was a day when these criminals had to contribute back to society even if to meant they were simply breaking rocks.

You realize that a) we have the highest percentage of our population in jail of any developed nation and b) criminal forced labor significantly harms economies? There's a reason REPUBLICANS largely put an end to hard prison labor.

Also, whatever happened to prison being about admitting that our country failed these people, and bearing some social responsibility? Of course not, they're just fringe nuts who violate social contracts.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    landokelandoke Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

You might be interested to know that welfare is only good for 2 years, and is only available for those who have hardships.

"Eligibility is determined using gross and net income, size of the family, and any crisis situation such as medical emergencies, pregnancy, homelessness or unemployment. A case worker is assigned to those applying for aid. They will gather all the necessary information to determine the amount and type of benefits that an individual is eligible for. It requires that all recipients of welfare aid must find work within two years of receiving aid, including single parents who are required to work at least 30 hours per week opposed to 35 or 55 required by two parent families. Failure to comply with work requirements will result in loss of benefits."

Who said anything about permanently propping up lazy bums? What is this weird obsessions with taking the 1% case and turning into the 99%? As a person who has worked with welfare families for years, I can say hands down that the number of them that I've encountered that are simply lazy is exactly 1. Out of hundreds. So let's not deceive everyone into thinking that somehow there are a bunch of moochers off the welfare system.

The entire welfare system costs 15% of the bush tax cuts per year. THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. 10% per year of the war in Afghanistan. Don't even pretend our financial crisis is because of welfare.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    i think they should get rid of all tax deductions across the board. Mortgage, child, everything.

secondly I think if you have a kid you should pay a huge extra tax to cover the teachers that basically have to raise them. Maybe then parents might participate a little more in raising their kids. I'm sick of paying to have some gangster wannabe get free daycare and making life miserable for kids that want to learn. Especially irratating since I don't have kids.

Just continuing the randomness of this thread.

PS: we need to drop out of the UN, bring all the troops home, make congress pay for their healthcare and stop giving them any pension, build some nuclear reactors, restart the yucca mtn. disposal site, disband congress and just have majority vote since we are a internet connected country now.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am always happy to have my taxes cut, regardless of reason or season.

But are you happy to have the services cut too? Buh-bye police, courts, roads, airports...

This is the problem a lot of people had with the tea party, particularly when it came out that a good number of the tea party leaders were receiving medicare, social security, or unemployment.

You can't have it both ways. I'm not trying to say government spending should go up, it shouldn't! Bush increased our budget over 100% from Clinton, the most any president in the last 60 years has increased our US budget. I was outraged then too, especially since 50% of the increase went to wars that I didn't believe in. So I strongly believe in government accountability and responsible spending. But this idea that we can just magically cut things and have this not ripple down is ridiculous. Spending cuts happen best when the economy is good and they happen gradually over time.

Look, if all the people here who don't want to pay taxes want to start their own country, fine. We can have anarchy country where you're in charge of doing and building everything on your own. Cowboy and whatnot. Private industry will fund their own systems, and things will be great roads will go from where businesses want to where they want, and they'll build more—for a hefty fee—for users in high frequency areas. Sorry, small towns, no roads for you. Not enough profit. Environment? Regulation? Bah, who needs 'em.

And the rest of us will keep living in our country, where we believe a society of people can build a better future for all of us by working together and creating a unifying system (hint: that's what a government is). We'll fight to keep our government accountable while you fight to figure out how to get water in Phoenix without government-subsidies canals.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

just have majority vote

Careful with that: We're a republic, not a democracy. There's a big difference. Our founding fathers were very clear that majority rule = mob rule, and is just as oppressive as any tyrannical leader. This is why they very clearly created the United States as a Republic, not a democracy.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Maybe with Apple running the country, the $14.5 trillion U.S. national debt will be paid off. By the year... 5,000!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New figures from the U.S. Treasury Department indicate that the government has a total operating cash balance of $73.768 billion, less than Apple's own war chest of $75.876 billion.

• Reply 53 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landoke View Post

You might be interested to know that welfare is only good for 2 years, and is only available for those who have hardships.

"Eligibility is determined using gross and net income, size of the family, and any crisis situation such as medical emergencies, pregnancy, homelessness or unemployment. A case worker is assigned to those applying for aid. They will gather all the necessary information to determine the amount and type of benefits that an individual is eligible for. It requires that all recipients of welfare aid must find work within two years of receiving aid, including single parents who are required to work at least 30 hours per week opposed to 35 or 55 required by two parent families. Failure to comply with work requirements will result in loss of benefits."

Who said anything about permanently propping up lazy bums? What is this weird obsessions with taking the 1% case and turning into the 99%? As a person who has worked with welfare families for years, I can say hands down that the number of them that I've encountered that are simply lazy is exactly 1. Out of hundreds. So let's not deceive everyone into thinking that somehow there are a bunch of moochers off the welfare system.

The entire welfare system costs 15% of the bush tax cuts per year. THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. 10% per year of the war in Afghanistan. Don't even pretend our financial crisis is because of welfare.

Fist off, tax cost do not "cost" money. A cost is an expense. Letting people keep *their* money is not an expense by government.

Typical liberal assumption that the government is entitled to your wealth.

Sure looks like hardships right here

buying lobster on food stamps.

Great use of taxpayer dollars.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    What a bunch of narrow minded people there is on here shame on you......some people are born into opportunity, some people are not, some people fight for opportunity but simply some people are genuinely stuck........just remember not everybody can be like you....and you should be grateful for what you have and don't pick on the people who can't have what you have.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Once Apple gets enough patents, perhaps rivals will finally stop suing them, out of fear. Then they can just get on with the business of making great products.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

The top 50% pay 97.3% of all taxes.

Democracy kind of breaks down when you have so many people not paying taxes. It becomes like 3 foxes and a chicken voting on what to have for dinner.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landoke View Post

Careful with that: We're a republic, not a democracy. There's a big difference. Our founding fathers were very clear that majority rule = mob rule, and is just as oppressive as any tyrannical leader. This is why they very clearly created the United States as a Republic, not a democracy.

Representative Democracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

Being a Republic doesn't mean there's no Democracy.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Its sad that liberals like to think that we have people dying in the streets and we need to raise taxes when in fact we (taxpayers) are subsidizing luxury items for a population that has an unparalleled quality of life.

You mean Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid? Is this what you call luxury items? And what about the simple idea of stopping Medicare for those that can actually afford it (eg, the upper 50% of the population). If richer half of the people complain about their taxes, they should equally accept to get no handouts from the government.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Is there a single purpose to this f'n thread other than to expose the dweebs on both extremes into a pissing contest?

I'll settle this crap once and for all.

Eliminate the Federal Income Tax and other Federal Taxes.

We'll go to a straight Transaction Tax System.

The US in 2010 saw $900 Trillion in transactions.

We'll put a 1% on every transaction for Goods and Services, across all systems. No more tax shelters, no more off-shoring pays zip in taxes crap, no more any of these deductions.

A single percent would generate $9 Trillion in Tax Revenues.

If you buy a house for $10,000,000 you send $100,000 to Uncle Sam. That's it.

However, the States are free to implement their own Tax structure [State Income Tax, sales tax, etc] all they want, on top of this Transaction Tax.

Will this shut up all the Teabaggers, Wannabe Libertarians, Fraudulent Contitutional Partyists who think the Constitution was an extension to Judeo-Christian Commandments, etc?

I doubt it, but it sure as hell would cover our debts and all these a-holes who can't handle helping someone in need while they flick a smoke at them and drive by in their Porsche can no longer game the system and bitch about paying $400,000 in Income Taxes while they rake in $50 Million a year in income/investments, etc.

Cry me a river.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Is there a single purpose to this f'n thread other than to expose the dweebs on both extremes into a pissing contest?

I'll settle this crap once and for all.

Eliminate the Federal Income Tax and other Federal Taxes.

We'll go to a straight Transaction Tax System.

The US in 2010 saw $900 Trillion in transactions.

We'll put a 1% on every transaction for Goods and Services, across all systems. No more tax shelters, no more off-shoring pays zip in taxes crap, no more any of these deductions.

A single percent would generate $9 Trillion in Tax Revenues.

If you buy a house for $10,000,000 you send $100,000 to Uncle Sam. That's it.

However, the States are free to implement their own Tax structure [State Income Tax, sales tax, etc] all they want, on top of this Transaction Tax.

Will this shut up all the Teabaggers, Wannabe Libertarians, Fraudulent Contitutional Partyists who think the Constitution was an extension to Judeo-Christian Commandments, etc?

I doubt it, but it sure as hell would cover our debts and all these a-holes who can't handle helping someone in need while they flick a smoke at them and drive by in their Porsche can no longer game the system and bitch about paying $400,000 in Income Taxes while they rake in $50 Million a year in income/investments, etc.

Cry me a river.

Well said!