Digital cameras predicted to be the next casualty of smartphones and iPads

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't know how the myTouch achieves instant on. Perhaps it has a real shutter button? Maybe someone here knows.

It appears that whenever the camera app is launched, it starts capturing images and caching them with timestamps:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...FGpH_blog.html

It also has a dedicated shutter button and when it's pressed, it pulls the right image out of the cache. It still has the lag of other cameras but counters it by keeping an older image.

I think the dedicated shutter button also takes pictures right away.

This would be easy enough for Apple to implement. Just have another button below the volume ones and a single tap starts recording immediately into a cache, then once the app loads, copy the first image captured. Press-hold could initiate a video recording instantly instead of a picture.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It appears that whenever the camera app is launched, it starts capturing images and caching them with timestamps:

It also has a dedicated shutter button and when it's pressed, it pulls the right image out of the cache. It still has the lag of other cameras but counters it by keeping an older image.

Thanks Marvin. That's a pretty creative way to achieve zero lag. Someone at HTC had their thinking cap on.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

This would be easy enough for Apple to implement. Just have another button below the volume ones and a single tap starts recording immediately into a cache, then once the app loads, copy the first image captured. Press-hold could initiate a video recording instantly instead of a picture.

If HTC was smart then they patented that pre-capture idea.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Hmm - I should really rush off and patent that.

Troll

• Reply 85 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) So it's using the timestamp of when the shutter was pressed, minus the timestamp of when the video started, to then figure out what was being recorded at the time the shutter was pressed? I state it that way because I don't think videos have an actual timestamp, only a relative timestamp of the duration from start to finish. Or is this just taking multiple actual snapshots in succession and then matching the shutter press timestamp to the closest snapshot in the queue.

2) Would this mean the Zero Shutter snapshot would not be the typical 5 or 8Mpx image from the camera but instead a screenshot of the 720p video at a specific frame? If it is, I'm all for it. Just like the camera phone you have is better than the nice camera you don't have, a picture of decent quality is better than no picture at all.

PS: Since HTC has branded it Zero Shutter I would be surprised if they don't have several patents covering multiple facets of this tech.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) So it's using the timestamp of when the shutter was pressed, minus the timestamp of when the video started, to then figure out what was being recorded at the time the shutter was pressed? I state it that way because I don't think videos have an actual timestamp, only a relative timestamp of the duration from start to finish. Or is this just taking multiple actual snapshots in succession and then matching the shutter press timestamp to the closest snapshot in the queue.

2) Would this mean the Zero Shutter snapshot would not be the typical 5 or 8Mpx image from the camera but instead a screenshot of the 720p video at a specific frame? If it is, I'm all for it. Just like the camera phone you have is better than the nice camera you don't have, a picture of decent quality is better than no picture at all.

For photos, it just needs to take a succession of snaps between when the shutter opens and when the application is able to process the request. This can be very quick at full-size if it gets stored in RAM. When it's ready, it just needs to match the timestamps, copy the right image and clear the cache. Lower quality video mode wouldn't be suitable.

For recording video, it can trim the start off to match the times but it's not that important as this can be edited later.

This is actually quite an important feature IMO. When dealing with kids, you know that photo/video moments can come and go instantly and the current setup is too slow. Even with the iOS 5 camera button on the home screen, it's not quick enough. Quicker than getting out a DSLR but it can still miss the moment.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

The best camera is the one that you have with you.

Ah, the good ole' Chase Jarvis quote.

http://www.chasejarvis.com/ Warning: Flash site

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

If good pocket cameras drop in price, then I might get one anyway.

Why didn't you get one? They've been dropping in price for years already.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

An iPhone can take better pictures than some of the best point and shoots today also.

I'm sure a bunch of photophiles on this thread will jump in and correct me

Well, I like taking pictures; you could label me as a photophile. Yet I totally agree that an iPhone can take better pictures. That is because the camera has nothing to do with the quality of a photograph. There are pictures from camera phones being awarded over DSLR photographs. The quality comes from the photographer, the camera is merely a tool.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BGW View Post

Are you serious? They just sucked in every aspect (like the iPad?s or iPod touch?s camera). Always have to grimace with pain when looking at some snapshots from my old 3G.

Then maybe you're holding it wrong. The quality of the camera has nothing to do with the quality of the picture. That has to come from you.

FART for Fantastic Photos