Apple's Safari grows to 8% browser share, WebKit now second only to Microsoft IE

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgberry View Post

You are right d-range. Daniel is way off. Silverlight is absolute garbage, but it is still a key technology in Microsoft's eyes.

No he's not because his context wasn't that M$ has stopped developing SilverLight but they've stopped pushing it for web in favour of HTML.

SilverLight was pushed as an alternative to Flash and Microsoft pushed it as that but now it pushes it as a native app development environment for Win7. In other words it's killed it off as an alternative to Flash.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

No he's not because his context wasn't that M$ has stopped developing SilverLight but they've stopped pushing it for web in favour of HTML.

SilverLight was pushed as an alternative to Flash and Microsoft pushed it as that but now it pushes it as a native app development environment for Win7. In other words it's killed it off as an alternative to Flash.

Well, its still used in place of flash on many of M$'s web sites, including their recent mobile event, which was broadcast in silverlight.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Not sure the article is entirely accurate. If we add Safari and Chrome together to get WebKit numbers, we should add together any and all browsers that use the Firefox engine to get Firefox numbers. Flock is based on Firefox, as is the latest release of Netscape according to Wikipedia. Adding those two together with the Firefox numbers would put it over Safari + Chrome. I'm sure some of the others may use WebKit and/or Firefox as well. What's the Playstation browser based on? I believe the Wii's browser is Opera.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

There's something I don't understand. Apple has way more than 8% of the computer market, and WAY more than 8% of the tablet and smartphone market.

So does this mean that lots of Apple users don't use Safari?

I'm not a fan of Safari and only use it in my iPhones. I use Google Chrome on my home and work Macs. And, on Windows, too.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I just installed the latest WebKit nightly. It looks like they cleared up an issue or two. Though I never saw the scrolling issues others saw it appears to be even better now. It also looks like they fixed the pinch to zoom and scroll problem.

Of course fair warning this is a nightly but it looks very good to me.

They still haven't switched completely over to WebKit2 which when that happens will be a big improvement for Safari and the likes of Epiphany on Linux.

A ton of work has been going into WebKit2. What is in Lion hasn't gotten to a point where it's showing half of what it will eventually be able to do.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

More "that's what happens when your browser is a complete piece of trash used only by low-IQ people".

Statistically there are more people without a high IQ than with one, so that doesn't explain the decline in marketshare at all.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Putting it like that may be taking things a little too far.

You need to pay attention to the author. It's well known that Dilger is pretty well clueless outside of the Apple product range.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

if I remember correctly Windows 8 will even use it for the touch-layer Microsoft is building into it.

The official line from Microsoft is that the Windows 8 "tailored UI" will be "HTML 5". It wasn't a slip of the tongue either, I heard 3 or 4 different Redmondians say it about 20 times.

When quizzed about the use of other languages for the creation of "tailored UI" applications Microsoft have consistently pointed to BUILD in September as the reveal date.

If Silverlight is supported, why they wouldn't just say Silverlight is supported is anyones guess.

There have been a lot of credible rumors that Silverlight will be the common platform for Windows 8 desktop, Windows 8 tablet, Windows Phone and Xbox... so things just aren't quite adding up at the moment.

The Silverlight platform and development environment are absolutely class leading, so what I really really hope Microsoft do is allow the compilation of W3C Widgets in HTML/CSS/JavaScript from a Silverlight project. That would be ideal and something of a game changer.

Microsoft being Microsoft though, I'm not going to hold my breath.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoitan View Post

... we should add together any and all browsers that use the Firefox engine to get Firefox numbers. Flock is based on Firefox, as is the latest release of Netscape according to Wikipedia. ...

You do understand that Flock is dead, don't you? Now, for your larger point. Firefox is the most popular Gecko-based browser. Flock was based on Gecko as are Seamonkey, the Mac-exclusive Camino, and others.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Statistically there are more people without a high IQ than with one, so that doesn't explain the decline in marketshare at all.

I like to pretend that people are getting smarter. Forgive me for being an optimist.
  • Reply 30 of 38
  • Reply 31 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

This made me laugh today...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

This is fantastic. I am particularly taken aback by the following paragraph:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBC News

AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.

Leonard Howard appears to be saying that Internet Explorer doesn't make you stupid, it only indicates that you are stupid.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

There's something I don't understand. Apple has way more than 8% of the computer market, and WAY more than 8% of the tablet and smartphone market.

So does this mean that lots of Apple users don't use Safari?

i think this is only the "large" OS's (aka traditional laptop/desktop + some older tablets)

translated to: Window's XP/Vista/7 + Mac OSX + Linux.

on the other hand-- GO SAFARI/OPERA/CHROME!!!! destroy IE!
  • Reply 33 of 38
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Please excuse my ignorance. In what ways is Silverlight garbage? Compared to what? Please remember Silverlight is managed code.

People who know what they are talking about usually put some arguments in their statements.

Which makes previous poster's statement only his personal opinion based on nothing much, and nothing much more than that.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Leonard Howard appears to be saying that Internet Explorer doesn't make you stupid, it only indicates that you are stupid.

Well that wasn't what he was saying, but I assume you're just being facetious.

Edit: turns out it was just a hoax anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    People still use IE? Chrome is the way to go (and I can forgive Firefox).

Does this survey include iOS devices? Because I'm sure Safari gets a huge boost being mobile and desktop browser.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What's interesting to me is the decline of IE to 53%. It wasn't all that long ago that many web sites required IE to function and Mac users were told to just go away. I remember those days.

So do I. Apple developing Safari is one of the least credited reasons for the resurgence of the Mac.

Only when I was satisfied the days of Mac blocking on the web were over, I switched in 2008 and still have no regrets.

Safari 5.1 on Lion is the best and quickest browser out there...IMO that is.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This is fantastic. I am particularly taken aback by the following paragraph:

Yet today the entire story of IE use having any relationship to IQ was exposed as a scam report, an elaborate ruse picked up and repeated by the news media. You'd think they'd do a bit more checking before running with a story that had the smell of a hoax from the beginning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878
  • Reply 38 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackTheRat View Post

Safari 5.1 on Lion is the best and quickest browser out there...IMO that is.

Minus the memory leak that takes up all of your physical RAM and gigabytes of swap space, yes.