Samsung postpones Galaxy Tab 10.1 launch in Australia citing Apple suit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although it is helpful to the consumer if they can just pick up a phone and use it without reading the instructions for use. For that reason alone I would like a universal icon for the phone, contacts, music etc. That way you could ask a friend 'hey can I use your phone for a second?' and not have to hunt around for the dialer app. Kind of like why all cars have the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals in the same configuration, even if they are on the wrong side of the car in the Australia.

Let's see if you can find the light switch, windshield wipers and cruise control just as fast...
  • Reply 22 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The Windows phone UI proves that there is not.

Quote:

Nor does using a yellow flower for your photo gallery icon.

Samsung C.E.O.: Right, guys, looks like this lawsuit with Apple's going south. We'd better start looking at new graphics for our devices.

Design lackey: What about the hardware?

Samsung C.E.O.: That's... a different team, you guys are software, right?

Design lackey: It's hard to tell; we take our inspiration from the same source.

Samsung C.E.O.: Right, whatever, anyway, let's start with the photos application. We need to change the icon.

Design lackey: What's wrong with it?

Samsung C.E.O.: Well, we used a yellow flower...

Design lackey: ...yep, just like Apple. We did change it a little, though. Is... that not what you wanted?

Samsung C.E.O.: No, well, yes, but things have changed now. I don't want to get into a whole thing about explaining intellectual property, so I'll just say we have to have a different icon now.

Design lackey: Oh, okay, so how about a... red flower?

Samsung C.E.O.: No, no, something more... Look, it can't look at all like what Apple did.

Design lackey: Not at all?

Samsung C.E.O.: No, they say that it needs to be 'sufficiently differentiated' so... more ideas, let's go.

Design lackey: Ooh! What about a yellow... sun! With, like, rays coming out that look like a flower?

Samsung C.E.O.: ...

Design lackey: Chief?

Samsung C.E.O.: Let's work on the phone icon. We have to change that one, too.

Design lackey: Okay, how about a red background?

• Reply 23 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Now that's a blatant rip-off. I challenge you to spot 10 differences.

You win the prize for being clueless about the topic at hand.

These drive-by phandroid posters are coming out of the woodwork now.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Well, they have to redesign their icons, dock and connection cable. That's going to take a couple of years for these 'no original idea' having manufacturers.

They really need to spend some cash on design talent rather than carrying on with the culture of copying off of each other.

As earlier posts pointed out, windows phone 7 makes a damn good effort at being original. Which, for Microsoft is a bloody miracle. Plus, it's actually pretty good too.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You win the prize for being clueless about the topic at hand.

Care to explain, then?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's not what we were talking about, congratulations on your lame attempt at a diversion.

http://www.gadgetoz.com/wp-content/u...alaxy-S-4g.jpg

http://www.androidized.com/wp-conten...hone-3g-01.jpg

Samsung's music player icon is strikingly similar, if someone didn't see them side-by-side, they would be reasonable to say it was just a pink version of Apple's old iTunes Mac app icon.

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/10/09/0...tunes9icon.png

Samsung's "Settings" app is a gear. I wonder where they got that idea from.

The phone icon is a very similar color, similar gradient, same receiver type and even the same orientation.

Using the iPhone 3G's signature metal outer band doesn't help.

I'm pretty sure we were talking about the Tab, since its launch is being postponed due to Apple lawsuit.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with Apple suing Samsung for the original Galaxy S, since it really looks similar to the iPhone 3G/3GS. But Droid Charge? Galaxy Tab? And Nexus S, which doesn't even have TouchWiz?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although it is helpful to the consumer if they can just pick up a phone and use it without reading the instructions for use. For that reason alone I would like a universal icon for the phone, contacts, music etc. That way you could ask a friend 'hey can I use your phone for a second?' and not have to hunt around for the dialer app. Kind of like why all cars have the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals in the same configuration, even if they are on the wrong side of the car in the Australia.

It's on the wrong side of the car in the US. When I was working in the US whenever I would get a ride from friends, I would walk over to the driver's side, and they would be like, "WTF?"
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Samsung C.E.O.: Right, guys, looks like this lawsuit with Apple's going south. We'd better start looking at new graphics for our devices.

Design lackey: What about the hardware?

Samsung C.E.O.: That's... a different team, you guys are software, right?

Design lackey: It's hard to tell; we take our inspiration from the same source.

Samsung C.E.O.: Right, whatever, anyway, let's start with the photos application. We need to change the icon.

Design lackey: What's wrong with it?

Samsung C.E.O.: Well, we used a yellow flower...

Design lackey: ...yep, just like Apple. We did change it a little, though. Is... that not what you wanted?

Samsung C.E.O.: No, well, yes, but things have changed now. I don't want to get into a whole thing about explaining intellectual property, so I'll just say we have to have a different icon now.

Design lackey: Oh, okay, so how about a... red flower?

Samsung C.E.O.: No, no, something more... Look, it can't look at all like what Apple did.

Design lackey: Not at all?

Samsung C.E.O.: No, they say that it needs to be 'sufficiently differentiated' so... more ideas, let's go.

Design lackey: Ooh! What about a yellow... sun! With, like, rays coming out that look like a flower?

Design lackey: Chief?

Samsung C.E.O.: Let's work on the phone icon. We have to change that one, too.

Design lackey: Okay, how about a red background?

Best thing i've seen all day