All 21 Time Inc magazines coming to Apple's iPad this year

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Publisher Time Inc. announced on Wednesday that all 21 of its magazines will be available on Apple's iPad this year, including currently unavailable titles like Entertainment Weekly and InStyle.

In addition to the iPad, Time's magazines will be available on "all leading tablet platforms," with Android, the HP TouchPad, Barnes & Noble Nook specifically named. The press release issued this week made no mention of Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook.

"Now is the time for us to make this bold commitment. In the coming year, there will clearly be many more consumers using tablets, accelerating demand for content and driving advertiser interest," said Maurice Edelson, executive vice president and a member of Time Inc.'s interim management committee.

"We are putting ourselves in a great position to take advantage of these opportunities. "Having our entire portfolio available on tablets will create a significant new digital reach for our advertisers."

InStyle, Real Simple and Entertainment Weekly will join magazines already available for the iPad and other platforms, including titles such as People, Time, Sports Illustrated and Fortune.

Time Inc. also revealed that it has sold more than 600,000 digital single copies of the fore aforementioned leading titles. In addition, the company's digital magazine and other content applications, such as Entertainment Weekly's "Must List" for the iPad, have been downloaded more than 11 million times.

Customers of Time Inc. will be able to purchase print and digital subscriptions, and each of the company's 28 million print subscribers will have the option to include the digital edition with at no extra cost.

After more than a year of negotiations being at a standstill, Time Inc. and Apple reached an agreement in May to offer free iPad issues to print subscribers. Subscribers can download a free application for the respective magazine in Apple's App Store, and then enter identifiable information to authenticate their subscription.

The full list of all Time Inc. magazines listed on its site includes:

All You

Coastal Living

Cooking Light

Entertainment Weekly

Essence

FORTUNE

Golf

Health

InStyle

LIFE

Money

People

People En Espanol

People StyleWatch

Real Simple

Southern Living

Sports Illustrated

Sports Illustrated for Kids

Sunset

This Old House

TIME

TIME for Kids

The ability to have recurring subscriptions on the App Store came to iOS this February alongside the launch of News Corp.'s tablet only newspaper The Daily. Publishers can set the price and length of subscription (weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, bi-yearly or yearly), and Apple takes a 30 percent cut of subscriptions charged through the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    At least for me, I no longer trust nor value the Time brand. I only hope the indifference of people like me won't discourage more credible ventures into digital publishing.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Great news! Now, all those publications that we have been ignoring on the newstands can now be ignored digitally!

-kpluck
  • Reply 3 of 12
    That's a pretty large commitment for such a bad deal.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    No thanks, I don't read that tripe!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Great news! Now, all those publications that we have been ignoring on the newstands can now be ignored digitally!

-kpluck

Comparing the New Yorker announcement this week to the comments on this article tells me both that there's a pretty big market for iPad magazines and that there's a low correlation between that market and the people who post comments on AI.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kindwarrior View Post

At least for me, I no longer trust nor value the Time brand. I only hope the indifference of people like me won't discourage more credible ventures into digital publishing.

The obvious take on this is that Time is betting a huge chunk of their business on digital.

Whether or not you value their brand, if they deliver and they bring eyeballs to the iOS lineup, and it's better than Android/Playbook/HP. If Time succeeds, then the big houses will commmit... and the iPad is now a critical mass device, drawing content to their device, which draws people to buy the device, which draws more content.

Apple makes $300 per person reading the iPad, and $0.30 out of every dollar they spend. It's like being Apple being GM and Exxon, with every city committing to building 8 lane highways to the suburbs.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Comparing the New Yorker announcement this week to the comments on this article tells me both that there's a pretty big market for iPad magazines and that there's a low correlation between that market and the people who post comments on AI.

There isn't a big market for iPad publications - not with Apple's current extortionist business model and the 8400 pages of restrictions and terms.

If anything, the iPad is pushing websites to be more creative and innovative. Thus Apple's war against Flash and now HTML 5.

Hard for them to take 30% of revenues from websites you've visited.

iPad publications are dead in the water. It won't take off before a realistic solution is presented.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Apple's current extortionist business model and the 8400 pages of restrictions and terms.

Puh-lease.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Puh-lease.

Since your new here and new to Apple, I'll give you a start - but I don't have time to data-mine the thousands of articles regarding the topic.

Best you learn for yourself.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...tion_fees.html

have fun - and welcome to the Apple community.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

...new here...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by our accounts

3400 posts vs. 70 posts

Quote:

...new to Apple...

Been using Apple products since the Apple II...

Doesn't seem to bother the people responsible for the 500,000 apps and the rest of the magazine people with iPad applications. Maybe that's because it isn't 'extortionate'.

Quote:

have fun - and welcome to the Apple community.

You're terrible at what you do.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Don't be so sure of yourself. 30% of those titles are horrible because they have horrible content written by horrible writers. Others will do well I'm sure. But much like Newsweek has done to itself, Time and Life are little or no better. They're shoveling lies and just pure crap. If you feel the need to purchase content from people that think you're a mental midget, then feel free to do so, it's your money.

Change is coming in mass media. Thank you internet and thank you Apple for the iPad an other cool tools. But the rules of the road still hold true just as they have in the past for the most part. Content is King. When you put out pure swill, not matter how stall worth your brand may have been in the past, you can kiss you butt goodbye.

Of all the titles listed, Time will be the first to kick the bucket. Couldn't happen sooner for a company so flagrantly trying to mislead it's readers, who are actually... a hell of a lot smarter than the writers and editors behind it. It's why they're a sinking ship. Having the magazine online or via an iPad app won't change anything. Like putting lipstick on a pig..... Time is still a commie pig.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

There isn't a big market for iPad publications - not with Apple's current extortionist business model and the 8400 pages of restrictions and terms.

If anything, the iPad is pushing websites to be more creative and innovative. Thus Apple's war against Flash and now HTML 5.

Hard for them to take 30% of revenues from websites you've visited.

iPad publications are dead in the water. It won't take off before a realistic solution is presented.

You should really do some more research, as well as maybe re-evaluate what you think extortion is. 30% is cheap.... go try to develop your own iPad, Android or Whatever tablet, or better yet go and price your own printing press. I disagree with you 100%. I have completely stopped buying books in paper form, unless that's all that is available. I love reading via my iPad. and although i prefer web browsing on my iMac.... the iPad is just fine when I want to do that as well. My funds are tight these days just as I'm sure it is the case for many others here and I haven't yet found a magazine I think I'd really enjoy. Have plans to get the WSJ as soon as I'm a little more flush though. Would love to get that paper daily via my iPad... instead of ending up with a stack of old newspapers cluttering up my house.

You're really failing to realize the opportunity they are creating for developers and people with ideas. If you and a dozen friends had a brilliant idea for a magazine you'd literally have to raise millions if you wanted the slightest chance of success. Now, if you work with Apple you probably have development costs way under $50K. Duh? And if you're content is something you can develop a significant audience around you have income from subscriptions.... as well as advertising. I don't yet totally understand that dynamic, as in do you have the option of embedding your own or if you have to go through Apple... but it's yet another income stream.

I also know Apple is not fond of Flash. Hell... I'm not really either. Don't like it for web development depending on what a web site is trying to sell. And it's a major processor hog. I thought Apple was in fact trying to go with HTML 5... and not poo poo it.

Either way... your ideas seem not only misguided, but misinformed.

Do you work for Microsoft? LOL

Apple is doing a great job showing and participating in something that has made out country so great. It's called Capitalism.