Inside iCloud: Apple's new web services for iOS and Mac OS X Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

So you buy a Mac or a service and expect Appke to support you for life and not change anything? Products and services change with the times. Sometimes they're relevant to you, sometimes they aren't. Apple is not the only company to do this. E.g. MS' Plays For Sure.

I agree ... and what about Google as another example?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I thought about the lack of iDisk and how that would affect me and then I realized that it the lack of iDisk that I need worry about but rather how long it will take for every developer to add iCloud support so that I can move content to the iCloud and not have to worry about it.

I figure that pretty soon it'll be

"No iCloud support no buy!" for many.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtoub View Post

I've been serving my Web site via MobileMe for many years, and will of course now need to migrate to a dedicated hosting service. Is there any way to redirect the current MobileMe URL for my Web site to whatever I end up with, or will I just have to deal with the fact that my MobileMe-hosted site, links to which have been circulated on the Web and e-mail for years, will yield a 404 error when someone clicks on it in the future (as in July, 2012)?

Also, I've not found any free Web hosts. True, there's WordPress, which I use for blogging, but it's not really set up well for non-blog Web sites. Thoughts? Thanks.

I feel your pain. To me, iWeb/MobileMe hosting did for me what the Mac did for me in 1984. It made something that was a scary mess doable. Before the Mac computers meant nothing to me other than being a business machine that I had no interest in struggling with. Before iWeb and Apple hosting, web authoring was something so geeky that I couldn't even figure out what people writing about it were even talking about. And don't even get me started on coding in HTML--what command line interface was to operating a PC. iWeb was the GUI of web authoring. It made me a participant in the internet, not just an observer.

They seem to be saying: "been there, done that." We've provided proof of concept that average schmucks like you can create and publish decent websites, now move on and use third party tools. Well Steve, if third party tools were the answer for me, I would have been a web author before iWeb. The same overly complicated tools that were out there before are still out there. For me, for people to say: "just change to RapidWeaver, it's almost the same" is like saying to an iPhone user: "just switch to Android, it's almost the same thing."

For Apple to behave as though the web is now passé, or that average people don't need to do that anymore is infuriating. Akin to saying word processing and paper are so last century, get over it. I am really hoping they re-think this and restore web building for the rest of us.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    This showed up last week for me, anyone else have it in there iTunes? I can download all of my 2000+ songs and 1500+ TV shows in addition to my iOS apps and the few iBooks I have purchased.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch
  • Reply 25 of 58
    cashawwcashaww Posts: 28member
    I agree completely. It was not the most powerful web tool, but it did what I needed it to do.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Take away lesson: Never depend on Apple. They are notorious for suddenly dropping services, features and software support, even before the days of eWorld. No apologies, no explanation, just gone. They seriously don't care how much it inconveniences you. They are always looking to recruit the young, up and coming users at the expense of the older loyal and faithful followers. As long as they can sell the new users on whiz bang innovation they can save the bottom line by cutting the overhead of retaining older services. How old is MobileMe, like three years? Just go ahead and scrap it, let the chips fall where they may. We've got tweeners to indoctrinate. To hell with you gray haired old farts.

In my darkest hours I have the same thoughts. I struggle with the balance between not wanting to be the old fart railing against the latest new fangled thingy, and just standing by while the baby is thrown out with the bathwater. I didn't mind changing OSes from System 9 to X, I could deal with the evolution from Motorola to Intel and the other big changes we Apple users have all lived through. It was nothing money for the newest system wouldn't fix. eWorld never really required that much of an investment of money or resources anyway, and all companies were feeling their way forward with the internet at that time. But the web and websites have reached maturity as has desktop publishing. Buying something else won't solve this for me.

I really resist the notion that we now live in App World--that websites are going away and we'll all get our info directly from dedicated apps on a mobile device. I mean, how do you browse for things you don't know you're looking for with a dedicated app?

In short, I don't take quite as jaundiced a view of Apple's record on change as you do. But I do fault them for this one. The web as a medium for communication is just too fundamental to trash this way.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtoub View Post

I've been serving my Web site via MobileMe for many years, and will of course now need to migrate to a dedicated hosting service. Is there any way to redirect the current MobileMe URL for my Web site to whatever I end up with, or will I just have to deal with the fact that my MobileMe-hosted site, links to which have been circulated on the Web and e-mail for years, will yield a 404 error when someone clicks on it in the future (as in July, 2012)?

Also, I've not found any free Web hosts. True, there's WordPress, which I use for blogging, but it's not really set up well for non-blog Web sites. Thoughts? Thanks.

It depends if you have a domain name that you use with your MobileMe service. If you do, you can simply tell your domain name provider to forward traffic to the new site you set up. If you are circulating the naked MobileMe URL then I suspect you're out of luck

As for WordPress, it is more than capable of providing a standard site. I have seen many professional company websites made with WordPress and I am currently experimenting with it myself. If you choose your home page to be a page rather than a blog it will behave just like a normal site. It's very powerful but it's not obvious at first inspection.

Good Luck.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    toddrtoddr Posts: 4member
    I never like the @me.com idea. I stuck with the @mac.com address I had before.

Now most folks that use this service have @me.com, but the MobileMe is going away.

Will they stick with @me.com? Hope not, seems kind of odd to me.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I feel your pain. To me, iWeb/MobileMe hosting did for me what the Mac did for me in 1984. It made something that was a scary mess doable. Before the Mac computers meant nothing to me other than being a business machine that I had no interest in struggling with. Before iWeb and Apple hosting, web authoring was something so geeky that I couldn't even figure out what people writing about it were even talking about. And don't even get me started on coding in HTML--what command line interface was to operating a PC. iWeb was the GUI of web authoring. It made me a participant in the internet, not just an observer.

They seem to be saying: "been there, done that." We've provided proof of concept that average schmucks like you can create and publish decent websites, now move on and use third party tools. Well Steve, if third party tools were the answer for me, I would have been a web author before iWeb. The same overly complicated tools that were out there before are still out there. For me, for people to say: "just change to RapidWeaver, it's almost the same" is like saying to an iPhone user: "just switch to Android, it's almost the same thing."

For Apple to behave as though the web is now passé, or that average people don't need to do that anymore is infuriating. Akin to saying word processing and paper are so last century, get over it. I am really hoping they re-think this and restore web building for the rest of us.

I agree that iWeb should continue to be developed. I understand Apple's desire to get out of web hosting itself but the software is unique. RapidWeaver isn't as good as it appears at first. I have used Flux from The Escapers and it's excellent, but it's for a more advanced user. iWeb made contributing to the web possible for laymen and that is no bad thing.

It's not iWeb simple, but try Flux or take a different tack and look at WordPress.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toddr View Post

Now most folks that use this service have @me.com, but the MobileMe is going away.

I really don't get what you people don't get.

@me.com is HOW ICLOUD WORKS. Mail, at least. It's not going away; you HAVE TO HAVE ONE to use the service.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

I never found it odd at all but when I give me email address out to people they do repeat it back to me like it sounds bizarre.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I really don't get what you people don't get.

@me.com is HOW ICLOUD WORKS. Mail, at least. It's not going away; you HAVE TO HAVE ONE to use the service.

I think his question was one of nomenclature.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

'I've got Outlook installed'

Your poor, poor Mac...

Outlook is the epitome of taking a simple task and creating a piece of software that makes that task look like a lunar landing. What does Outlook do that Mail, Calendars and Address Book don't do?
  • Reply 34 of 58
    toddrtoddr Posts: 4member
    so they introduced @mac.com when they rolled out .mac. Yes, .mac went away but it still had a connection to the company. In that, the email address had a branding connecting it to Apple.

when they rolled out MobileMe, everyone new to the service HAD to use @me.com. In that, the branding on the email address was tied to what has been termed "not our best effort." OK, so MobileMe goes away but the legacy of the @me.com accounts remains. Apple will push out iCloud and have new folks sign up to get @me.com accounts? A year from now when the whole world has forgotten MobileMe, the @me.com will make even less sense. Why not go back to @mac.com?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I think his question was one of nomenclature.

That... would make a lot more sense.

But @icloud.com isn't an improvement.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

so they introduced @mac.com when they rolled out .mac. Yes, .mac went away but it still had a connection to the company. In that, the email address had a branding connecting it to Apple.

when they rolled out MobileMe, everyone new to the service HAD to use @me.com. In that, the branding on the email address was tied to what has been termed "not our best effort." OK, so MobileMe goes away but the legacy of the @me.com accounts remains. Apple will push out iCloud and have new folks sign up to get @me.com accounts? A year from now when the whole world has forgotten MobileMe, the @me.com will make even less sense. Why not go back to @mac.com?

1) @me.com is simpler than @mac.com and @icloud.com and @iphone.com and @ipodtouch.com.

2) Does Gmail or Hotmail not make sense to you or do see them as simply the names Google and Microsoft choose for their free email? You really should should the latter!

3) @mac.com was used when the company's only internet-capable machines were Macs. Note they dropped the Computer from their name a couple years back even though all their devices are technically computers. The did this to usher in a new focus on integrated devices which doubly makes a focus on @mac.com even more foolish for the 21st century.

4) Let me explain that another way: Apple sold 4 million Macs last quarter but sold 34 million iOS-based iDevices in that same quarter. A difference of 8.5 to 1. So for every 17 iCloud-capable iDevices sold they sell 2 Macs.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) @me.com is simpler than @mac.com and @icloud.com and @iphone.com and @ipodtouch.com.

2) Does Gmail or Hotmail not make sense to you or do see them as simply the names Google and Microsoft choose for their free email? You really should should the latter!

3) @mac.com was used when the company's only internet-capable machines were Macs. Note they dropped the Computer from their name a couple years back even though all their devices are technically computers. The did this to usher in a new focus on integrated devices which doubly makes a focus on @mac.com even more foolish for the 21st century.

4) Let me explain that another way: Apple sold 4 million Macs last quarter but sold 34 million iOS-based iDevices in that same quarter. A difference of 8.5 to 1. So for every 17 iCloud-capable iDevices sold they sell 2 Macs.

Ughh... it's tiring putting up with some of your stuff.

.mac is at least still relevant to Apple. They will continue to sell Macs for the foreseeable future, and they have several decades invested in the brand name.

.me will have no link to any existing Apple product in 9 months time, and will only be a reminder of that self-professed debacle called MobileMe.

Having 4 numbered points doesn't make your point impressive.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Here's hoping they don't cock this one up. MobileMe was/is a complete disaster from the UK. Just about everyone I knew with a .mac .me address cancelled their subscriptions due to the dire performance.

Not me. Had it from year 1. Not iWeb but for syncing and .mac e-mail. I use iDisk as well but have been neglected since I have my iPhone 3GS.

Quote:

I never like .me addresses always stick with .Mac. More exclusive and original. Let's hope it stays. They can chuck out MobileMe I don't care but keep the original. I bet [email protected] wouldn't go away either.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Web Gallery is the one thing I'll really dislike losing. Having the ability to upload photos to it right from iPhoto, and movies up to it right from iMovie, was very convenient and allowed friends and family around the world to see photos and videos of mine all in one easy to use place. It's obvious that I'm in the minority when it comes to using this service, and most likely don't care about sharing photos and videos with family members and friends, but it was well integrated into iLife and it made it easy to do. I guess Apple will have to erase those features from iPhoto and iMovie and replace them with nothing.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Web Gallery is the one thing I'll really dislike losing. Having the ability to upload photos to it right from iPhoto, and movies up to it right from iMovie, was very convenient and allowed friends and family around the world to see photos and videos of mine all in one easy to use place. It's obvious that I'm in the minority when it comes to using this service, and most likely don't care about sharing photos and videos with family members and friends, but it was well integrated into iLife and it made it easy to do. I guess Apple will have to erase those features from iPhoto and iMovie and replace them with nothing.

Facebook is now the medium of choice for sharing photos and videos. They made it so simple that everybody is using this feature. It used to be only for the most technically inclined to get your galleries on the Web. Facebook made it possible for most technically challenged. Like it or not, Facebook killed all other companies' attempt to hold any significant share in that "market". Apple doesn't want to expend resources on something that will compete with Facebook but will bring no significant revenue. I don't blame them - it's a smart way to do business. Google will be chasing all these "opportunities" notwithstanding low potential revenue streams. That's why everything that Google has is in Beta except their search, ads, and a few other products.