HP slashes iPad-competing TouchPad price to $399 1 month after release

Comments

• Reply 81 of 142
    HP used to have a relationship with Apple when they OEMed Apple iPod - I think they should have continued that relationship with all their follow on products, including iPad. But than HP went out and bought Palm OS and they had to come up with a product to justify that purchase and here we are - No different state than what Palm was on.

Maybe HP should give out their pads with any HP Desktop/laptop purchases, if they really want to infiltrate the pad market.
  • Reply 82 of 142
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have the copying down pat. Right down to the way Steve answers questions and the way he reacts.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work when you're WRONG.

Referencing, of course, Steve post-introduction of iTunes version 1 where, when talking to a developer of a competing (then-better) software about song ratings, Steve said something to the effect of, "Why would anyone want to rate their music? Anyway, we'll have that in the next version." and ended the conversation.

Hmm, missed that one. Did read:

"Oh, we believe in that, too," Steve shot back, without skipping a beat. "Apple will have an affordable 3M machine before anyone else. I only have one question. What's a megaflop?" (Jan 1983)
  • Reply 83 of 142
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Has it sunk in at HP that the Palm buyout was not such a good idea?

Though the recent inflation in the patent market may have made it a good deal even if web-os sinks.
  • Reply 84 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't care if they sell this tablet for $99.99, I still wouldn't want one. This tablet has no future besides becoming a doorstop pretty soon.

So it will just stop functioning "pretty soon"?
  • Reply 85 of 142
    Good one :-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

At this time, I expect Jon Rubinstein to be wearing his parachute to the office every day.

Cough! Cough!

• Reply 86 of 142
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So it will just stop functioning "pretty soon"?

It doesn't function well today and it won't function well in a few months from now either.

I think that HP has a much more frequent update schedule than Apple has and this tablet will be left behind pretty soon.
  • Reply 87 of 142
    csmithcsmith Posts: 1member
    First of all, I don't think Apple has anything to worry about here. Selling at a loss is a good way to peddle second rate products to compete with better products on the market. However the simple counter Apple has for this is to put older models of the iPad on the market at a lower price for bargain hunters. It seems to be working for retailers selling the iPhone.
  • Reply 88 of 142
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

BS. You've obviously never used WebOS to know what you're talking about. Android and iOS are basically the same thing, with Microsoft and HP having an actually unique experience (never dealt with QNX to comment on that one).

You are wrong. Here is what people see when they look at tablets. Playbook basically stole webOS cards, and android 3 has tile that go up and down instead of across.

All three look nearly identical. iPad is just a row of apps, which is good or bad depnding on how you see things, but looks different from the other three.

• Reply 89 of 142
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Perhaps it will work with my Zune.
  • Reply 90 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

Perhaps it will work with my Zune.

... but, sadly, it doesn't come in brown...
  • Reply 91 of 142
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I very much prefer HP's tablet to a clunky old Android tablet.
  • Reply 92 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't care if they sell this tablet for $99.99, I still wouldn't want one. This tablet has no future besides becoming a doorstop pretty soon.

I agree. You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 93 of 142
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    Interesting debate. My sense is that HP has staked their reputation, not to mention billions of dollars, on TouchPad. Unfortunately for them, they have an extremely steep hill to climb due to the runaway success of iPad. This holds true for the manufacturers of Android tablets with a major difference being they have nowhere near the R&D sunk into their devices. Apple and Google are quite frankly in a better position since they can leverage the huge volume of smartphones which Palm (now HP) never established. Developers will only develop for volume platforms and today that ain't WebOS. My point is, no matter how slick a piece of technology WebOS is without volume they will never win over developers...and without developers they will never get to volume. Classic problem which the geniuses at HP where ignorant of or thought they could somehow overcome. In short, TouchPad and probably the handset are done and HP will either sell off the division or close it down (ala Cisco and Flip...) Either way, HP looses in my opinion...
  • Reply 94 of 142
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    I know of exactly ZERO people that own anything BUT an iPad.

I live in a metropolitan city of appx. 1 million.

I've seen numbers like 63% , but I honestly think Apple's tablet market share is more like 80-90%
  • Reply 95 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Wow, any of you guys even used the TouchPad? It's actually pretty good for their first version/attempt. Go ahead, find one and try it. I did out of curiosity and liked it a lot! If only they had a way to switch between keyboard layouts and localization support, but they don't go after anything but the states right now.

The problem with iOS is that it's STALE. Come on, it's been 4 years already, aren't you all bored with the same old that barely even changes? The main attraction of webOS is the attention to detail and because of that there's a huge potential. Most of these things usually happen because of a couple very devoted folks within the company that have a vision and push things forward, putting love in what they do. I certainly can't say the same thing about Android which is about as lifeless and Windows-like in its ways as it can be. webOS "sees" where it should go, Android on the other hand is blindly stumbling in the dark.

iOS is more utilitarian, but touchpad is barely functional because of poor performance.

The cards metaphor is nice, but slow and sluggish to use.
  • Reply 96 of 142
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Free with Cornflakes would be about the right tone. Perhaps a choice, a plastic submarine or TouchPad? BTW where are the pad jokes from the Apple haters?
  • Reply 97 of 142
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Yes, but it took Apple a decade to get OS X to where it is now. And the personal computing landscape 11 years ago was vastly different than the post-PC era is now.

In late 2000, when the Mac OS X Public Beta was rolled out, the personal computing market was already mature. Windows ME and Windows 2000 were Microsoft's brand new OSes. Microsoft had locked in the corporate IT world and had thwarted IBM's OS/2 and Netscape.

And what has changed since then? We've seen OS X gradually increase in robustness and popularity within the Mac community. The recently added Mac App Store and the iOS-like features in Lion appear to be speeding up OS X's evolution.

And Microsoft's last real improvement in their OS line up was putting the NT kernel into their consumer OS. The result was XP, released in 2001, which is still good enough for many people. XP still has larger market share than Vista or WIndows 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems).

So now Rubinstein is name-dropping "OS X" to hype webOS. Well, times have changed. It's the post-PC era and things are moving very fast. It's a vast uncharted frontier, and there's a mad land rush among hardware and software vendors. All trying to stake a claim.

Apple has a huge advantage. They are able to leverage the last decade of infrastructure work. They've progressed from iTunes (Rip. Mix. Burn.) to iPod to iTunes Music Store to iTunes Store (with videos, movies, and TV shows) to iPhone to App Store to iPad. And they have evolved Mac OS X into iOS. In many ways, iOS is the lean, mean next-generation of OS X. (And we'll be seeing more and more iOS features migrating into OS X in the future.)

Apple has already built their post-PC infrastructure. The railroad tracks heading into the vast new frontier. Everyone else is on foot.

Not to mention, Rubinstein had nothing to do with the development of OS X or NeXTStep/Openstep. He was strictly hardware.
  • Reply 98 of 142
    This is a smart move by hp, however I think that they will still not get the effect they where hopping for. In two months acer will release a 300$ tablet archos will soon release their first licensed android product which will include a sub 300$ tablet and one with a disk harddrive for around 360$. Android has already became a household name people know what it is now, people will prefer an android tablets over an operating system they have never heard of. Hell android by name is more known then iOS.
  • Reply 99 of 142
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

The problem with iOS is that it's STALE. Come on, it's been 4 years already, aren't you all bored with the same old that barely even changes? The main attraction of webOS is the attention to detail and because of that there's a huge potential.

How is it that you have almost 300 posts here on this forum while saying something so ignorant?
  • Reply 100 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I know of exactly ZERO people that own anything BUT an iPad.

I live in a metropolitan city of appx. 1 million.

I've seen numbers like 63% , but I honestly think Apple's tablet market share is more like 80-90%

The report was that 30% of tablets "shipped" in Q2 were Android tablets. (15.1 million total tablets shipped in Q2... among them were 9.3 million iPads and 4.6 million Android tablets)

But... that's just tablets shipped to stores.... and just for the past quarter. (we don't know how many Android tablets were actually sold to consumers)

Technically Android does have 30% market share based on how many tablets were shipped. But compared to tablets actually in use today? Not even close...

The truth is... Apple sold 28 million iPads to consumers since April 2010... and I bet all of them are in use today.

That's why you see so many iPads out in the world... compared to maybe a couple million Honeycomb or other Android tablets sold to date.