Inside iCloud: Apple's new Documents & Data cloud service

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

He enabled the root user with Directory Utility, logged into Terminal as root and did a

cd /

rm -Rf .DocumentRevisions-V100

That is the first obvious attack vector, I could have told you that. The question was only whether this is permanent or whether you have to repeat that hourly (and thus would need at least a cron job for it) and more importantly whether something gets screwed up or data get lost. Unless somebody tried this out, I was reluctant to suggest it.

Quote:

This folder can get quite HUGE, depending on how much work has been done. One of our admins had 27GB socked away here.

And does this stuff get deleted once you close or save the document(s) that were the origin of this? If not this would a simple bug, there is no reason for the OS to store data that have no handle (file name) to get back to them. And if this was only unsaved work, somebody was hugely reckless, having 27 GB of unsaved work that could disappear with something as simple as a power cut (even if most of that 27 GB was copies of existing data).

Quote:

There's a number of hiccups in Lion; auto-save + versions are but two of them

Which is why anybody currently using Lion, a point zero release at this point, for anything important is playing with fire at his own risk. Even John Siracusa, the person who wrote the most in-depth review of Lion (80+ pages when printed) does not intend to switch to it for next couple of months, for his private computer.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    Quote:

That's the first good, solid suggestion received in this forum, thank you.

Not that I would not have suggested to you already multiple times to revert to a version of iWork that does not have versions. Unfortunately, that solution would be so simple that even acknowledging it would have been an admission that you were not actually looking for a simple solution.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Even John Siracusa, the person who wrote the most in-depth review of Lion (80+ pages when printed) does not intend to switch to it for next couple of months, for his private computer.

Well stated. I think the people who made these decisions are learning from their mistakes.

I think by & large, Lion is a good OS. I think our IT team leapt before they looked. There's a lot of back-pedaling goin' on

I think Apple wants to merge & meld their mobile with their legacy desktop/laptop ecosystems. And that's ok, as long as they deliver the wherewithal to keep working (so far, a mixed bag, as you have noted)... and for heaven's sake, cease pretending a 27" iMac is just like a cell phone.
  • Reply 104 of 112
    Quote:

Well stated. I think the people who made these decisions are learning from their mistakes.

I think by & large, Lion is a good OS. I think our IT team leapt before they looked. There's a lot of back-pedaling goin' on

I think Apple wants to merge & meld their mobile with their legacy desktop/laptop ecosystems. And that's ok, as long as they deliver the wherewithal to keep working (so far, a mixed bag, as you have noted)... and for heaven's sake, cease pretending a 27" iMac is just like a cell phone.

Auto-save has been a feature of a great-many applications for probably at least 15 years. Of course, possibly the first really perfectly working implementation has been on iOS (not least because it was mandated for all apps).

But I fail to see what auto-save (or versions), your two biggest points of contention, have anything to do with a cell phone, as both precede, in various implementations, the modern smartphone.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Good. Be happy. Nobody wants to take away your candy. Use it. Enjoy it. But don't disparage others who don't want what they consider to be the destructive editing of these new "features" in their workflow. I am not the only person who finds these functions troublesome, there are new Apple Scripts appearing all over the net to delete versions &/or trim "Auto-Slave," as so many people are calling it now.

This in no way prohibits you from using these functions nor is it meant to limit you in any way.

There was no reason for you to reply to my posts in the manner in which you did. It was both surprising and distasteful, and helped no one. Slamming a "feature" of an OS (inanimate object) and slamming an individual are two completely different things.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote: "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

I always say: Relax, you can now get great taste in a decaffeinated coffee :-)

You are the one who set the tone - accusing Apple of gobbling up your disk space and then fulfilling the demand with their "expensive" iCloud service plans. Both claims are ridiculous. Instead of trying to understand the concepts behind the new way, you are all over this forum slandering Apple. Apple owes you nothing. You don't like the new way to manage versions, stick with the old OS. You don't like iWork, go to Microsoft Office for Mac. You don't like Macs, go to Windows 7. I am not disparaging you, I am seeing a person who is high strung over the edge. Please don't start shooting people because you think Apple is out to get you personally. You need to cool off and read your posts again. You have anger management issues, you should acknowledge the problem and try to calm down.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I am not disparaging you..

Sirozha wrote: "...you must be too old for the innovations that came with Lion."

Yeah, yeah, I'm sooooo friggin' old, you're so fresh & new & totally cool but... you're not disparaging me in the least.

Do you mean innovations or the many bugs in the .0 version? C'mon, man, I'm just trying to live with other people's decisions & get on with my work. Looking for help among the many brainiacs supposedly here on Apple Insider.

Step outta the way & let some light shine thru, will ya PUHLEEZE?

Sweet boy. Thanks for being there at the help desk.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    I believe we all forget how long it takes for a project to come together, and people still fuss when others complain that they sue because someone else has infringed in their long developed thought's and ideas.

I am however surprised how Apple, such a large company, be continuously capable of rethinking a product over and over modifying it each time for new standards.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    I dread Documents and Data.

I have over 2,000 files, most of them iWork, and they are organized into folders.

For example, I have a Funerals folder. It contains 17 folders with a name that contains the name of the person and the date of the funeral, so they are sorted in chronological order. Each of those folders contains the various files that were used in that particular funeral. For example, the "Smith 2009-08" folder might contain the funeral bulletin, the scripture readings, the eulogy, and a jpeg picture of the deceased. Each of the 17 folders contains similar but unique documents.

As I understand it, iCloud won't respect my filing system. It will gleefully dump all of my documents into one undifferentiated heap, forcing me to recreate my file system by manually grouping things. It will be like the LaunchPad chaos, but several orders of magnitude worse. Even worse than that, related and supporting files that are not in iWork formats will have to be in completely different locations. How am I supposed to find anything in that mess?

I urgently need a way to preemptively turn Documents and Data off before it creates apocalyptic chaos. SugarSync is still the superior way for me to sync files, because it respects me.

This is either a very messy feature for very messy people with very few files, or it's very badly explained.
  • Reply 109 of 112
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

I have over 2,000 files, most of them iWork, and they are organized into folders.

For example, I have a Funerals folder. It contains 17 folders with a name that contains the name of the person and the date of the funeral, so they are sorted in chronological order. Each of those folders contains the various files that were used in that particular funeral. For example, the "Smith 2009-08" folder might contain the funeral bulletin, the scripture readings, the eulogy, and a jpeg picture of the deceased. Each of the 17 folders contains similar but unique documents.

As I understand it, iCloud won't respect my filing system. It will gleefully dump all of my documents into one undifferentiated heap, forcing me to recreate my file system by manually grouping things. It will be like the LaunchPad chaos, but several orders of magnitude worse. Even worse than that, related and supporting files that are not in iWork formats will have to be in completely different locations. How am I supposed to find anything in that mess?

I urgently need a way to preemptively turn Documents and Data off before it creates apocalyptic chaos. SugarSync is still the superior way for me to sync files, because it respects me.

This is either a very messy feature for very messy people with very few files, or it's very badly explained.

Haven't experienced iCloud yet, but I'm with you on SugarSync all the way so far. Organized pretty logically and not taking much hands on management.

(Well, not all the way, actually. SS is supposed to allow easy photo sharing of read access to my full-size photo folders, but that feature and the way I've nested and organized my photo albums haven't gotten along at all yet in my few tests.)
  • Reply 110 of 112
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    But I don't want apple to dictate my filesystem. And I want my iDisk, full of non standard files, to be synced. Is that gonna work?
  • Reply 111 of 112
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Amen! I have thousands of files with my company data, and I want to keep it organised the way I like.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    As we know that the amount of papers and file documents have increased to a very large extent in any business in the recent past, new things have been invented to get rid of these hazards. Well, most of us here aren?t oblivious to the fact that document management systems (DMS) are used to run any business in a more organized manner to save time and cost. It helps to collect scanned copies of various essential files in a centralized server so that the authorized users can access them from any location that too 24X7.