Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader uses Safari to bypass Apple's App Store rules

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After changes to Apple's App Store policies prompted Amazon to remove a link from its Kindle application to buy new books, the online retailer has launched a new browser-based "Cloud Reader."

The Kindle Cloud Reader works in the Mobile Safari Web browser on an iPad running iOS 4 and up. It's also compatible with Apple's Safari browser on Mac and PC, as well as Google Chrome across a range of devices.

The new Web application allows users to read their Kindle books, and also includes links allowing users to purchase and download new books. Users can also enable an offline mode that allows titles to be read when a connection is not available.

The "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle Cloud Reader is highlighted by Amazon as having the following features:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It's very well implemented, well done Amazon!

Apple is welcome to their 30%, it is their store after all. Having said that they need to look at their rules, how is someone like Amazon supposed to implement the 30% rule across millions of books that all have different price points!

Now if only some nice jailbreaker could work out a way to add the store link back to Kindle apps.....
  • Reply 2 of 58
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    No Firefox?

EditL Wow! and who said Kindle books are cheaper than iBooks? I just check Game of Thrones on Kindle and it's a buck more than mine.

Edit again: A Clash of Kings is also more expensive than in iBook store.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    I can't believe how well this works. It really does feel like a native app.

Kudos to Amazon.

I wonder how many others will follow this route.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    I don't like the verbiage in these stories about web apps "bypassing" Apple, Apple has always been in favor of web applications for the iPhone and later iPad, they put their store's rules in place and encouraged people to take the development path that best suited them. Now, that said, I don't agree with a lot of the rules so, I love stuff like this.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Queue outraged stock holders bleating about being cheated.

In

• Reply 6 of 58
    Why is this being reported everywhere as a "bypass", or some way of cheating the system. Web Apps were core to iPhone prior to the App Store, and though they've taken a bit of a back seat they're very much alive and kicking.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No Firefox?

I may be wrong here, but Chrome and Safari are both webkit based so I would assume it relies on some webkit html 5 implementations that firefox just doesn't have yet. Same probably goes for the lack of IE support too.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

I don't like the verbiage in these stories about web apps "bypassing" Apple, Apple has always been in favor of web applications for the iPhone and later iPad, they put their store's rules in place and encouraged people to take the development path that best suited them. Now, that said, I don't agree with a lot of the rules so, I love stuff like this.

Buy a native app and increase your lock-in into iOS (the money would be lost if switching to a different platform), use a web-app and no lock-in exists. That is why Apple prefers native apps. Naturally, for free apps this lock-in does not apply but some apps can switch their business model from paid app to free app + some sort of 'in-app' purchase. Those are the apps Apple would be loth to lose by them converting to web-apps.

The other element is the general platform appeal, any web app is immediately available to all 'tablet' devices (more or less), native apps will first appear on the most popular platform, ie, for iPads, web apps will erode that advantage.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Web Apps were core to iPhone while the App Store SDK was not yet ready

Here, corrected it for you.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I may be wrong here, but Chrome and Safari are both webkit based so I would assume it relies on some webkit html 5 implementations that safari just doesn't have yet. Same probably goes for the lack of IE support too.

Ah I see. And I thought Firefox (4 up) is fully compliant with HTML5.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Ah I see. And I thought Firefox (4 up) is fully complaint with HTML5.

I have some full complaints about Firefox, that's for sure.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Here, corrected it for you.

Nonsense! Web app is fully supported on all iOS devices.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have some full complaints about Firefox, that's for sure.

Sorry. Typed too quick.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

Nonsense! Web app is fully supported on all iOS devices.

Does 'supported' not mean what I used to think it meant?

• Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does 'supported' not mean what I used to think it meant?

Yeah, it's really weird. Noticed the "Download.. Safari below"

Does it just work on iPad?

Edit: I see it only works on iPad. So it's Amazon restriction?
  • Reply 16 of 58
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

any web app is immediately available to all 'tablet' devices (more or less), native apps will first appear on the most popular platform, ie, for iPads, web apps will erode that advantage.

and by all tablet devices, you of course mean iPad only.

Sorry, but making a web-app does not mean you're not locked into a single platform. Remember all the "web-apps" that would only run on IE6 on Windows?

In fact, even this web-app seems to be locked into WebKit.

Web-apps may be able to replace some apps, but certainly not all apps, especially those that need access to system resources.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    How long until apple decides that html5 uses too much battery and drops it

in favor of an apple proprietary language that can't be used to make web apps.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

And how can Apple or other company blovk HTML?
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:

• Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:

Heard a rumor of Apple banning Safari on iPad3.