Apple ends day the most valuable public company on Earth

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post


    Your linked article isn't the only one written today or yesterday on the subject. I suggest you poke around a bit to find a few more articles that make the valid point : biggest on the planet earth!



    Unfortunately that weird AP article makes up a lot of those links. But the story here is accurate.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    First, Apple had to get past the above-ground fossils.



    Now, it's taking on the below-ground......
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    How do they fair on the moon though? That's the real question on everyone's chapped-lips.



    Yep, the moon is fair (when not full).
  • Reply 24 of 40
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post


    The article title says on the Earth. As far as I know that includes China. BTW Apple passed PetroChina many months ago.



    Yeah , I think what the author of the AP article was trying to do was include private companies, since the publicly traded parts of PetroChina and PetroBas are just branches of the larger entities. Unfortunately the article repeatedly talks about market cap a lot and then goes off on an un related tangent. It never bothers to explain it either. AP revises stories fairly often, perhaps they will try and clarify.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post


    Not earth but rather the USA. Here is at least my source.

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eatsexxon.html



    WRONG! Expand your horizons and read multiple sources.



    The article title says on the Earth. As far as I know that includes China and the claim is valid, for today at least.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post


    WRONG! Expand your horizons and read multiple sources.



    The article title says on the Earth. As far as I know that includes China and the claim is valid, for today at least.



    For a public company, yes.

    PTR is only 14% public.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    Those are state owned enterprises and thus they don't actually have a market cap, another would be Aramco which has been valued in the past at over a trillion dollars. But it's not a meaningful comparison, you can only compare market cap with other publicly traded firms - and of those Apple is the most valuable.



    That's right.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Umm a product refresh does not count as a new product.



    iMac 1997

    Mac Mini 2003

    MacBook 2005

    MacBook Pro 2006

    Mac Pro 2006

    MacBook Air 2006

    Mac Mini Server 2007

    Mac Pro Server 2010



    My dates are more than likely out because I was working off the top of my head but there have been no new Macs since around 2005/2006 just product refreshes.



    Going on this basis it's been 1 year since a new Mac product was introduced.



    Time Capsule, Magic Mouse, XServe, iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, Airport, Airport Express, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Studio Display, Cinema Display, LED/Thunderbolt display



    Yes, they are not the category defining products we are thinking about, but Apple is able to generate hype over new colors and NAS... The ecosystem is worth noting, particularly for accuracy's sake.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post


    Time Capsule, Magic Mouse, XServe, iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, Airport, Airport Express, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Studio Display, Cinema Display, LED/Thunderbolt display



    Yes, they are not the category defining products we are thinking about, but Apple is able to generate hype over new colors and NAS... The ecosystem is worth noting, particularly for accuracy's sake.



    Don't forget Mac OS X and Intel Macs.

    These were extremely significant.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,608member
    Yay Apple
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,486member
    From your parents' garage to most valuable company in the world. Atta boy Steve!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    I was working in the Macintosh tech support group for an ISP, everyone was predicting Apple's imminent demise, the group was being broken up and the stock was trading at 13. Damn.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post


    I was working in the Macintosh tech support group for an ISP, everyone was predicting Apple's imminent demise, the group was being broken up and the stock was trading at 13. Damn.



    I had 30 shares I sold at $17 (after my ex split so she wouldn't get any of it ). I had bought at like $25.

    That $510 would have now been $23334.60.



  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    I had 30 shares I sold at $17 (after my ex split so she wouldn't get any of it ). I had bought at like $25.

    That $510 would have now been $23334.60.







    Are you accounting for splits? Remember the stock has split twice since June 2000.



    I was telling everyone I knew to buy Apple shortly after Jobs regained the helm in December 1997 at (an adjusted) $3.23/share. If only I hadn't been a penniless high school student at the time. \
  • Reply 35 of 40
    As much as I like Apple, doesn't anyone else find it a bit worrying that what investors have valued the most valuable company in the world makes most of it's profit from selling a phone. It wan't that long ago that Motorola had the No 1 phone and before that Nokia, there not exactly doing particularly well now.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    Don't forget Mac OS X and Intel Macs.

    These were extremely significant.



    Can't believe nobodys mentioned iTunes!!!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post


    As much as I like Apple, doesn't anyone else find it a bit worrying that what investors have valued the most valuable company in the world makes most of it's profit from selling a phone. It wan't that long ago that Motorola had the No 1 phone and before that Nokia, there not exactly doing particularly well



    exactly...in 10 years, Apple won't even be in the top 10, but ExxonMobil will still be there. Oil still rules.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 905member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post


    As much as I like Apple, doesn't anyone else find it a bit worrying that what investors have valued the most valuable company in the world makes most of it's profit from selling a phone. It wan't that long ago that Motorola had the No 1 phone and before that Nokia, there not exactly doing particularly well now.







    Can't believe nobodys mentioned iTunes!!!



    Not at all. It shows that Apple isn't standing still or resting on its laurels, like Motorola and Nokia. Apple is also truly INNOVATING with a NEW TYPE of phone--all VERY unlike Motorola and Nokia.



    The uniqueness here is that Apple has been very busy this past DECADE developing OS X. Steve said at his initial keynote for OSX a decade ago that Apple is betting its future on the OS. Well, they did. And now it's paying off in spades.



    No other company can hope to compete with the current Apple ecosystem of OSX, iOS, products, and retail stores without an effort of comparable magnitude.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Yep, the moon is fair (when not full).



    fare lol
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkMailfever View Post


    exactly...in 10 years, Apple won't even be in the top 10, but ExxonMobil will still be there. Oil still rules.



    It seems like you have a lock on the future... could I get some lottery numbers from you?



    I'm quite sure that Apple won't be at or near the top in 10 years... but I would never go so far to say that it won't be in the top 10.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post


    Are you accounting for splits? Remember the stock has split twice since June 2000.



    I was telling everyone I knew to buy Apple shortly after Jobs regained the helm in December 1997 at (an adjusted) $3.23/share. If only I hadn't been a penniless high school student at the time. \



    I could say I took your advice but I bought in September 1997. My basis is around $4.00 a share.
Sign In or Register to comment.